Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
building a track input please >

building a track input please

building a track input please

Old 01-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Default building a track input please

I,m going to build a offroad race track as soon as the ground thaws. I would like suggestions from other like my self. Any help would be greatly apprecated! I would like thoughts on how big the jumps should be. long straights and tight turns or long sweeping curves or both. How big it should be. what kind of prizes or payout should I give.

Last edited by roddinrick; 01-08-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm not claiming to be any sort of track building expert, however, I do know that you haven't provided enough details for people to help you with figuring out this project.

You need to determine the length and the width of your usable area. Once you know that, you can easily draw out sketches.

Jumps, ramps, bumps could be as high as you want them. Keep in mind you will be displacing a lot of dirt, and you shouldn't be taking it from the track site. (Any deep gullys will fill up with water first rain) It's probably best to start your jumps smaller, and build them up as you need to.

Any elevations should be reinforced at the edges with wood plank or board, keeping your dirt where you want it. These elevations must be tamped to compress the elevation and harden the track.

Just an idea:
Most tracks I've seen look very manicured throughout, very compacted dirt, and no mud/loose dirt. What would be neat is having an area on the couse that was a loose sandy dirt, that you raked like a sandtrap on a golf course. This adds another element to the track, forcing the drivers to use different skills.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Tech Rookie

like the sandy idea. I have enough room to build 20 tracks and the state is doing a road project and have agreed to stock pile load of dirt at the site. I friend of mine owns a major construction company and will supply a large concrete drainage tunnel to go under a jump. the site also already have a Rv camping site and a bar and grill
Old 01-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Tech Rookie

boy like all the genius thoughts! NIce input.