Wiki Posts
Search

Best motor for my LST2

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mach51
the LRPs are great engines. I have two of the spec 3s currently for sale.

ive went back to the cheap dependable mach engines for my lst2s. I have a mach .26 in my racer, plenty of power, never have to touch the needles and doesnt flame out. Its coming out for a mach 427 again just to keep it consistent between trucks. Never had a desire to try the .30 and above crowd since they arent legal for racing. Ive seen guys with them in MTs and truggies at the track before and wasnt impressed at all.

I'm actually amazed at all the negative comments toward the Mach 427.Up until this thread I've pretty much read nothing but positives.I think I'm still going to give them a try and buy one for my son's Revo.I hear they turn the Revo into an absolute animal.Getting rid of the easy start and installing a center diff with metal spur are the plans for his rig.That electronic tranny of his has been a PITA.Time for it to go.

Frank
Old 10-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Tech Regular

I've got a 7 or 8 gallon 427 that still runs strong. One going bad once in a while can happen I guess, but if it happens to the same person 3 times in a row then the last thing that person should do is spend $$ on a more expensive mill till they figure out what they are doing wrong. I know a guy at my local track that raced the same Mach427 for over a year. I've actually considered going back to a Mach427 for racing.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2DMaxLST
I've got a 7 or 8 gallon 427 that still runs strong. One going bad once in a while can happen I guess, but if it happens to the same person 3 times in a row then the last thing that person should do is spend $$ on a more expensive mill till they figure out what they are doing wrong. I know a guy at my local track that raced the same Mach427 for over a year. I've actually considered going back to a Mach427 for racing.

You sure as heck can't beat the price of 'em.There is a new one with a $119 "BUY IT NOW" on ebay as I write this.What kinda power do they make?I've read that as far as stock motors go,they're the best.I also read that there is a carb difference between the gold and blue top motors.Is that true and is one more powerful than the other?

Frank

Frank
Old 10-10-2007, 02:53 AM
Tech Adept

Maybe he had a bad batch or something, dunno, but he knows what he's doing, run-in, tuning ect,so he wasn't doing anything wrong ?? But he took the plunge and spent the extra $$ and 9months on the OS30 is still going flawlessly and he's as happy as larry!!
Old 10-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've had great luck with my old SH .28 engine. I've had it for over 1.5 years and it's still ripping stuff up! I can't argue with my used Sportwerks .26 (off ebay) in my buggy either. Ridiculous!
The video of your LRP is great. Looks and sounds like that engine could have some long legs (unlike my SH).

What about the STS .28?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Quinton
I've had great luck with my old SH .28 engine. I've had it for over 1.5 years and it's still ripping stuff up! I can't argue with my used Sportwerks .26 (off ebay) in my buggy either. Ridiculous!
The video of your LRP is great. Looks and sounds like that engine could have some long legs (unlike my SH).

What about the STS .28?

I have a Muggy with a modded .28 STS on the way.I may be able to answer your question in a few days when it arrives.I was told the STS motors are animals but are very finiky.

Frank
Old 10-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

I would just hate someone to waste $$ like I did.....that's all.

I had one of the first ones. OS makes killer engines and I was excited. It never made good power and failed at about 2 gallons. OS makes all kinds of engines but their 3 port VG series can not be compared to their others. I would buy another if they came out with a roto start compatible .28 but until then, not me. They have excellent service and sent me a new on which I sold and purchased a LRP Spec III, I never looked back.

Internals on a LRP Spec III
A guy that I run with has a OS 30VG that has a better part of 6 gallons ran in it. I do know that before he broke the engine in, he put different bearings in it.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:35 AM
Tech Adept

What about RB

I heard they have the most powreful engines in the world for monster trucks.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Picco 28

Picco 28 is a good engine. I have one in my MGT. It is on gallon #4 and have not had 1 problem with it.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well,the LRP came in about a week ago and I had time to install it yesterday and my son ran a 5 tank break in.I spent about 2 tanks tuning and monitoring temps.THIS THING HAS TURNED MY LST2 INTO A ROCKET!!My LST carries one front wheel for about a good 20 feet when it shifts into second!I still need to lean it a bit as my temps wont go above 190.
Whats really interesting to me is that the muffler does'nt get very hot either.I have a Muggy with a .28 STS that runs around 260* while running it easy and you get burned just by looking at the pipe much less touching it.
Hey 2D...got tips on getting this LRP in perfect tune?Heck....you must have some pics or vids on the topic somewhere: Thanks.

Frank
Old 10-29-2007, 09:23 AM
Tech Regular

Sounds like you have a good handle on the tuning. I would shoot for 220-260 at the end of a tank.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Sounds like you have a good handle on the tuning. I would shoot for 220-260 at the end of a tank.
I have'nt had time to run it since my last 2 tanks that I mentioned.At the time though,the temps would'nt go much over 190 and it would'nt idle for very long and thats with the idle high enough that it will creep.I've leaned it quite a bit from the factory settings and am afraid that I might overdo it.Should I run a few more tanks and see if the temps come up any before I lean it any more?Thanks.

Frank
Old 11-02-2007, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wes95_z28
The only one i would shy away from would be the 427 i have yet to see one of these last very long at all. Just stupid things happen, broken cranks, broken rods, broke pistons, wrist pins coming loose and catching one of the ports. stupid stupid things. But they do make damn good power when they are running.
I have one 427 with 4 gallons through it and have not had a single problem. So now you can say you have at least heard on good thing about the 427. I also have one in my Inferno GT that rips on 30% and propells the car to nearly 75MPH. It has a gallon through it now, also with no issues. There are many user errors that can cause the type of damage you have described. Its a .26 so a .28 is definitly a step up. But when ported and 30% is added it rips as hard as any .28. My LST2 with its ported 427,with 4 gallons though it, and 30% pops wheelies on demand on high traction surfaces.

As far as your replacement question, for me it would be between the LRP or teh Picco 28.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

I did end up buying the LRP and am so far very happy with it.I had a chance to do a little tuning on it today and now have it running and idling great.The pull start is top notch and it starts up beautifully.I still do wanna get a Mach 427 for my kids Revo.I figure that if it can make a 13lb LST2 fly,imagine what it will do for a 9.5lb Revo.

Frank
Old 11-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Tech Legend

Anyone ran a custom "tuned" Os 30 against a Lrp ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.