Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommended steering servo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Recommended steering servo?

Hey guys, I have a savage SS with the big 7 inch rims and tires.. I need a better steering servo, wont turn the tires right now sitting still... any recommendations? Thanks!
Old 03-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

hitec 5955TG has 333 oz/in torque, and it is pretty dang fast, titanium gear, very nice.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gatermaxx
hitec 5955TG has 333 oz/in torque, and it is pretty dang fast, titanium gear, very nice.

ditto
Old 03-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Servos?

I have a Savage X SS. The guys at the local hobby shop recommended the Futaba 9351(192oz) and the 9350 for steering and throttle. I just got the truck together and I'm having the same prob the front wheels wont turn when the truck is sitting still. Can I throw in a Hitec with a Futaba? I'm using a 3PK Radio.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by darek375
I have a Savage X SS. The guys at the local hobby shop recommended the Futaba 9351(192oz) and the 9350 for steering and throttle. I just got the truck together and I'm having the same prob the front wheels wont turn when the truck is sitting still. Can I throw in a Hitec with a Futaba? I'm using a 3PK Radio.
do you generally need to steer when sitting still?

make your judgement of how it steers when you are driving it. the stock servo isnt the strongest and is plastic geared, so its not going to last long and it wont turn as tight as the more powerful servos. 192oz is plenty for your savage
Old 03-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5733
Old 03-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I'd "steer" clear of off brand servos. What if you need service? Who do you contact?

Stick with JR (best warranty available), Airtronics, KO, or Futaba.

Hitec service is good, but that's because IMHO they get plenty of practice I've not yet owned a single Hitec (4 or 5) that I didn't have to send in for service. I gave up on that game.

I own KO servos and radio gear for my 1/8th on-road and I'm happy with them, but if you want service and a good warranty for your MT (you'll need it) I'd go with JR.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've got a JR Z9000T...I love it. Over 300oz-in and about $110

Others are just as good.

You won't regret a high quality servo.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I hope you dont think of ACE as a off brand. They are stout servos!!! I got rid od a 8550 JR to get the servo I listed, and has been nothing but a GREAT performer. They have got nothing but strong reviwes on other boards. ACE is the distributer of TTR stuff as well.

Hitec has the best warranty in the biz. I have had a few and not one has let me down.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

are your batteries dead or is your savage all aluminum? cause i had a 645 in mine with stock sized rims(mind you) and it would turn though not great it would turn...but i am gonna run the hitec 5955 in her...should do great but 200oz of torque should be enough to throw that thing around the corners
Old 03-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by darek375
The reason your steering isn't moving when the truck is sitting still is because the servo saver spring supplied with the HPI cam steering servo saver is too weak. It's better than the old direct mount saver, but still not even close to how strong the spring is on the OFNA MP setup. And contrary to what some people might say, upgrading your steering servo won't really help at all if you leave the spring as it is. You only get as much steering as your spring allows.

And if you don't get any steering throw while your truck is stationary, how can anyone expect to turn around on the track without going over the track markers during those 'less than perfect' laps? With the Savage, it's a well known problem, easily cured though!

Get the OFNA MP Spring and enjoy more responsive steering. You'll get all the torque your servo produces and turn those big after market wheels.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

JR is coming out with a power house of a servo in a standard size casing. Or is it out already? It's the DS8711 ULTRA TORQUE SX. 403 on/in of torque and .15 sec. @ 6 V. Available for around $140.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

wow...400ozin.

That way you can stack a dumbell on the hood of your Monster truck and still turn the wheels!

THats for those who complain about not enough steering
Old 03-19-2007, 05:00 AM
Tech Addict

high-torque servos are good upgrades for MT. a 170-190 oz.-in. servo is just about right for a servo upgrade. i find the increment of investment in higher-end (high torque, more expensive) servos do not translate much on performance.
when running in the track or just bashing, we know that due to traction on off-road running, and/or set-up or perhaps any other reason, front tires of MTs often understeer. you would often see when a truck makes a turn on a track, front tires are already turned but the rest of it is yet to follow turn. i may be wrong but i just don't see a difference between using a servo of 190 oz.-in torque versus a 400 oz-in. in this scenario.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RevMaxx
high-torque servos are good upgrades for MT. a 170-190 oz.-in. servo is just about right for a servo upgrade. i find the increment of investment in higher-end (high torque, more expensive) servos do not translate much on performance.
when running in the track or just bashing, we know that due to traction on off-road running, and/or set-up or perhaps any other reason, front tires of MTs often understeer. you would often see when a truck makes a turn on a track, front tires are already turned but the rest of it is yet to follow turn. i may be wrong but i just don't see a difference between using a servo of 190 oz.-in torque versus a 400 oz-in. in this scenario.
with 7 inch tires you'll want the 330 oz trust me...while it's not needed on a truggy because you're right isn't much difference performance wise....with those big tires the 190 will feel like 80 oz on stock sized tires...I know it's overkill but i put the 5955 in all my truck...I run it in my truggy now(the mantis) which isn't heavy but it performs well and i already had it cause it was in my other truggy(mammoth....which really sucks)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.