Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Savage SS tuning

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 08:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Savage SS tuning

Hey so i'm lazy and dont feel like reading through 250+ pages of info on the savage link...

I have a few questions, hope ya can help...btw its a savage ss 4.6

1. What can i do to increase the stability? I know this question is probably asked a billion times...so far i've changed out the shock weight to 30 weight....any other ideas?

2. I'm going shopping tomorrow for a tuned pipe...should i stay with the stock pipe, or aftermarket?

3. I've been told to tune the truck by temp. Where is the best spot to check temp...should i check the temp towards the top of the head, bottom of the head, or on the header?

All help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks!
Old 10-24-2006, 04:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

to make it more stable. you can get LCG chassis, different tires (Nubz work really well), shock limiters (use the search function in the Savage thread, it isnt hard), if you really want, you could get LCG shock towers for 1/8 buggy shocks.

the stock tuned pipe is as good as your gonna get it. not worth spending the 60 bucks for a new one.

dont tune by the temp, tune by the way the truck runs. monitor the temp, but ultimately tune it to the way it runs and the smoke trail. get the temp from the glow plug. just point it down the engine head. make sure your truck has a mid-light smoke trail. listen to how the truck runs. you will know when it isnt running right, lean is when the truck is humming at idle, idling very high. it will have no smoke trail and over heat the engine. you may have alot of power though. rich, the truck will be pumping out alot of smoke, and bogging.

you can post these questions in the Savage thread and the search feature will help you. no need to make another thead