Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Traxxas 2085x servo @ 7.4v? >

Traxxas 2085x servo @ 7.4v?

Traxxas 2085x servo @ 7.4v?

Old 05-03-2023, 01:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Traxxas 2085x servo @ 7.4v?

Hi all,

I am a complete noob both to the X-Maxx and RC'ing. I bought a second hand X-Maxx that came with a few extras including a 2085x servo. Unfortunately (and some state inevitably) my stock speed controller blew up. as a result purchased a new HobbyWing Max 6 to replace it. I know this can run at 7.4v but my question is, can I run the 2085x run ate 7.4v?

Many thanks in advance.

Grant
Old 05-03-2023, 04:57 PM
Suspended

this is one of the most awsome bashers you can buy. Huge, strong, light weight for its huge size

do these things

1 servo, no traxxas servos please, sell the one you have if it is brand new

2 wheels, stock are junk, Duratraxx 6packs are cheap, belted, and it will be another world, they will never blow up.

3 you already did it MAX6 esc, best update ever, stock ESC is pure junk.

4 stronger a arms TRA7831 partnumber

check out this , very honest and professional guy about these things
https://youtu.be/skTpGe1ibLc

And if you really like to send it hard in future, i know what other parts you need,
better metal gears, and how to do the diff outdrives stronger easy way, center driveline fix, and alot more
Old 05-04-2023, 11:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GrantHook
Hi all,

I am a complete noob both to the X-Maxx and RC'ing. I bought a second hand X-Maxx that came with a few extras including a 2085x servo. Unfortunately (and some state inevitably) my stock speed controller blew up. as a result purchased a new HobbyWing Max 6 to replace it. I know this can run at 7.4v but my question is, can I run the 2085x run ate 7.4v?

Many thanks in advance.

Grant
The stock Traxxas system operates with a 6V BEC.
There is no indication in any documentation that the 2085X is rated for High voltage (7.4V) operation.
The sensible recommendation is to set the BEC of the Max6 to 6V.
Old 05-10-2023, 01:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the advice, all is appreciated. Could you recommend a servo, I have been looking around YouTube but there are so many opposing views it hard to get an steer.

I did get some Badlands wheels, they are super strong if a little heavy. I don't mind the weight at the moment as I am more worried about getting used to this beast and would prefer not to blow up the tires whilst I do that.

The truck came RPM arms they they seem pretty good.

Once again thanks so much for the guidance.

G..
Old 05-10-2023, 01:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the assistance, like you I could not find anything other than one article where someone said they had been running it at 7.4, but I did not want to risk it on one persons experience.

Cheers

G..
Old 05-10-2023, 01:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Firstly, the Traxxas 2085x servo is a high-torque, high-voltage servo that is designed to run on up to 8.4 volts. While it is possible to run it at a lower voltage, doing so can result in reduced performance and potentially damage the servo. In your case, the HobbyWing Max 6 speed controller is capable of delivering up to 7.4 volts to the servo, which falls below the recommended voltage range.

However, there is a way to run the 2085x servo at the lower voltage safely. You can use a voltage regulator, such as the Castle Creations 10A BEC, to reduce the voltage output from the speed controller to the servo. This will ensure that the servo receives the correct voltage it needs to operate safely and effectively. Just be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions when installing and using the voltage regulator.
Old 05-10-2023, 03:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions??

Originally Posted by malogica
Firstly, the Traxxas 2085x servo is a high-torque, high-voltage servo that is designed to run on up to 8.4 volts. While it is possible to run it at a lower voltage, doing so can result in reduced performance and potentially damage the servo. In your case, the HobbyWing Max 6 speed controller is capable of delivering up to 7.4 volts to the servo, which falls below the recommended voltage range.

However, there is a way to run the 2085x servo at the lower voltage safely. You can use a voltage regulator, such as the Castle Creations 10A BEC, to reduce the voltage output from the speed controller to the servo. This will ensure that the servo receives the correct voltage it needs to operate safely and effectively. Just be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions when installing and using the voltage regulator.
Hi There,

Thanks for the info.

Can I ask where you found the specifications for 2085x, I cannot find anything suggesting the voltage should be higher than 6v.

Also I am confused by you second paragraph, you say I should use a BEC to reduce the voltage from from the ESC. That's what I don't understand, surly if the servo is designed to run at up to 8.4v why would I want to reduce the power output from the ESC? Was it a typo or am I being a bit thick? ;o)