Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RcNewb

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 05:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Default RcNewb

Hi so I'ma jump right to the point here.
So I'm new to the rc world recently came across a Traxxas tmax, it's the f150.
I've been cleaning it up and trying to get it to run unfortunately tho I believe the controller is ruined do to water damage. I was wondering if it was possible to purchase a second hand or new one. Would it work or does it have to b the original remote? If any one can help I'd appreciate ur time and reply.

Last edited by MrToeTags; 08-13-2020 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-13-2020, 09:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yes. Can buy a used one of the same model of transmitter only(there are only a few traxxas radio models) that they used across multiple platforms and might be able to bind it to your existing receiver. Look on ebay craigslist, etc. Can also buy any one of many new radios that come with a receiver and install that. Most all will work fine. Just make sure to it has enough channels if its nitro.
I dont know what version a “f150” tmaxx is, so no idea what radio it has. If it has a long metal antenna and not one if the newer 2.4ghz radios, I wouldn’t even bother trying to replace it used and would just get a new system.

Traxxas does have a decent guide if you decide to buy second hand. But if you buy new, id look elsewhere as traxxas is way overpriced new.

https://traxxas.com/support/Traxxas-...tibility-Guide
Old 08-15-2020, 10:08 PM
Tech Addict

Best to buy from one of the chop shops like Dollar Hobbyz or Jenny's RC. Don't pay full retail price, especially for Traxxas stuff, it's way over priced
Old 08-21-2020, 06:33 AM
Tech Adept

Do you mean the receiver is ruined, or the transmitter?
You say water damage, so I presume you mean the receiver in the truck, not the transmitter in your hand.
Yes, you can buy a new receiver. Find one on ebay, then you just bind it to the transmitter. (if it's 2.4 GHz)
If it's an old AM receiver, it needs to be on the same channel as the transmitter. (or you need to get a new crystal for your transmitter to match what's in the receiver)