Search
Like Tree68Likes

Team losi lst project

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 08:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snowman49
yeah definitely understand, eventually im wanting to get a Spektrum Dx5 rugged, or DX5C, or a Futaba 3pv. but for now my FlySky is working well.

i have done something similar to using fishing line on the linkage to hold it in gear on my AE MMGT worked fine for about half a gallon, when i removed it to put actual shift linkage in, seems to work well so far. the MMGT sadly never had a Forward only option that i can find.
My only concern on yours is if the header will melt the line. wonder if a way to tie the servo horn itself off to the transmission so you dont go across the header. (no idea how temp resistant fishing line is).
definitely recommend trying it both ways, with reverse and without.

honestly no problem man! ive learned so much from both personal experiences and others, its the least i can do to pass along what information i know down the line to keep it going. that and they are just awesome trucks to run, and imo everyone should run one at least once!
I can tell you first hand the Futaba 3pv was an insane upgrade from my stock spektrum dx2e with my losi 8ight truggy. Super fast, super responsive, and I feel totally connected to my vehicle now in a way that stock radio lacked. I’ve also heard great things about the spektrum dx5c as well, almost got that instead of the Futaba instead but I went with my first instinct since Futaba has a stellar reputation, and boy did it live up to it. That’s a good idea about wrapping the fishing line around the transmission, maybe I can’t wrap it along the high/low gear post on top of the tranny. I’ll check it out and let you know. I’ve thought about the line melting too, but I’m actually more concerned about it possibly cutting a hole through my header where it’s sitting, from vibration and all. Seems fine now and it worked for the whole 20 minutes I ran it yesterday. We shall see
snowman49 likes this.
Old 04-28-2020, 03:28 AM
Tech Regular

Hello everyone, so after work I’m going to place an order from horizon hobby, in terms of the forward only conversion, does the kit include absolutely everything that I need? Or do I need to order the plugs, or anything else like a gear or shaft separately? Thank you In advance. I really don’t want to spend any more money but I might as well stock up on some parts while they are still available. Gonna order some some diff parts, outdrives, etc
Old 04-28-2020, 04:00 AM
Tech Champion

I was never a fan of the FOC kit. Bunch of hassle, no real benefit that I could discern... Talk of reducing weight IMHO was just theoretical. Real-world it made no difference.

Back then I was much more in favor of just buying a whole new XXL transmission(from ebay chop shops like jennysrcparts.. Wonder if they still exist? They were awesome..) - it already had the higher speed gears in it... Unfortunately I guess you can't do that so easily anymore...
Old 04-28-2020, 07:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
I was never a fan of the FOC kit. Bunch of hassle, no real benefit that I could discern... Talk of reducing weight IMHO was just theoretical. Real-world it made no difference.

Back then I was much more in favor of just buying a whole new XXL transmission(from ebay chop shops like jennysrcparts.. Wonder if they still exist? They were awesome..) - it already had the higher speed gears in it... Unfortunately I guess you can't do that so easily anymore...
good to know man. If it’s a hassle I might just skip out on it. I was honestly thinking about getting it only to clean up my truck and get rid of a servo and keep it fresh and clean. There’s honestly still quite a few parts on eBay, including whole transmissions but they are all used and most original lst ones. Who knows what kind of condition they would be in
Old 04-28-2020, 07:17 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Losi215
Hello everyone, so after work I’m going to place an order from horizon hobby, in terms of the forward only conversion, does the kit include absolutely everything that I need? Or do I need to order the plugs, or anything else like a gear or shaft separately? Thank you In advance. I really don’t want to spend any more money but I might as well stock up on some parts while they are still available. Gonna order some some diff parts, outdrives, etc
the 35$ kit comes with everything, they do sell replacements for the kti though which only include certain things like the shafts, plugs, etc. but the "Forward only Conversion kit" does have everything.
i do recommend looking into the gear flip mod when you do the kit if you feel you want a little more speed.

about the main thing i can recommend for the diffs (though i have not had to yet, but also not running a powerhouse engine) would be the HD diff case
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...xxl-2-losb3528
and the HD Outdrives
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...lst-2-losa3503

i dont remember if i posted this link before, but this is a really helpfull link for mods that you can do. it does have kind of a walkthrough on the FOC kit install and the gear flip mod, as well as rebuilding/shimming the diffs.
Losi LST tips and tricks ( 3mm, 4mm screw mods, how to shim LST diffs etc ) Pic heavy

Old 04-28-2020, 07:28 AM
Tech Champion

Way back when I tried to turn my second LST2 into a track truck. Key to that was things like the FOC kit, truggy tires, sway bars, etc.. Ultimately, it just didn't work out. For me I could just never get the transmission to shift right consistently, with small tires. And I didn't want to go to a single speed, like a lot of racers were doing. In the process of trying everything to get it to work, I swapped out transmissions. FWIW I noticed no difference in speed at all from a gear-swapped FOC tranny to a normal stock transmission. In the end I put HPI Savage XL Terrapin tires on it (LST-tire diameter..), and they've been on ever since, and the transmission has shifted like clockwork ever since.. In any case I did a lot of back and forth swapping back then, and never noticed an advantage from an FOC gear-flipped tranny.

I have also never had any issues with stock, standard outdrives. - Not sure if the ones on the original LST are the same and as beefy as the ones on the LST2. I assume not?.. - That they were in such good condition after gallons and gallons, compared to my Savage XSS's, which were like butter in comparison, is one of the main indicators which made me abandon Savages altogether.

I've been out of cars for so long, and into planes(basic PNP Foamies mostly..) And man it's just crazy how much stuff you need for cars. I've been building up a Tamiya 8th scale truggy kit, and thought I could just build a kit and throw in old engines, tires, etc.. Well, I need servos, an on-off switch, etc etc.. I'm being held up having to order all this stuff(which is annoying!!..) I understand many people just like buying tuning stuff for their cars as a part of the hobby in itself. And that's great - whatever floats your boat. I was just always focussed on what is really needed - with performance and toughness being top priorities with no compromise. But I never thought you needed all those fancy tuning chassis', tini gears, and lots of other stuff.. For the LST2s you needed the Integy engine mount, maybe some better springs like RC Raven or the Losi yellows, and that's about it. I was always a fan of the New Era rollbar too. And a wing mount for wheelies.. The rest of the truck was always rock solid afaic..

The original is a bit of a different can of worms though I think.. 14mm hexes for ex. is a no-go IMO.

I'm just blabbering/thinking out loud, so feel free to ignore it all. And no offense to anybody with different opinions, experiences, insignts, preferences, etc etc...
snowman49 likes this.

Last edited by Herrsavage; 04-28-2020 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:51 AM
Tech Adept

i was having issues with my Hi/Lo selector popping out of gear randomly, (LST1 trans pre-redesign of the Hi-Lo shift knob (LST2).) i personally didnt do the gear flip, more because i didnt really feel the need to increase the speed, was already how fast i wanted it for the locations i would run in. it did cut about 3/8-1/2 a pound off the truck getting rid of Hi/Lo and Forward/Reverse. most being rolling weight. i can tell the difference on take off, not so much speed but im not worried about the speed aspect.
looking at the gear ratio, it really wouldnt change much doing the gear flip as its only 0.956 underdrive, compared to 1.045 overdrive.
i am curious what tires were you running? i have been running the 40 series Muggy tires/wheels on my one LST, and running 40 series Big Joes on the other. both for me work pretty well flawlessly so far.
i have heard a few people saying that the trannies just dont like smaller tires/wheels on these trucks, friend was running revo wheels and tires and said he kept over-revving the shift hub on the 2 speed and jumping the flat spots and wedging.
as far as the outdrives, i have a few friends that have Nova 28-8s in their LSTs that kept snapping the outdrives in half on harder launches until they swapped to the HD ones. i only have short run time on my F4.6, but so far my Mach .26 is working great no issues but if going to replace the parts i would spend the extra dollar or two for the upgraded especially when putting more power to them.
i really wish jennys still had parts for the LSTs, they really dont have much anymore except for the LST 3xle proprietary stuff.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:11 AM
Tech Champion

I was trying to run with standard 8th scale truggy tires. I would be up on the drivers' stand, and the truck would just like pop out of gear and gas inputs would just rev the engine, which was somehow uncoupled from the transmission/drivetrain. It was massively annoying.. Every once in a while it would kick back into gear and work, but overall it was just a headache. I just gave up on making a track LST2 and was happy to have the big HPI tires back on it and to have it shifting normally again. The Muggy tires are pretty big and heavy.. I had a Muggy too - great truck..

It's stupendous how many spare parts I still have laying around from Jennys. Lots of new parts.... I think I need a new truck to justify having all the parts..

Kind of interested in an E-LST.., but not sure. I think I'd rather have a second MT4 G3. Have a ton of spares for that too... Or maybe an E-RC8T. I could open a hobby shop with all my RC8B, RC8T, and SC8 spares... And oh yeah a 7th scale DM-1..

I could've made a down-payment on a house...
snowman49 likes this.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:32 AM
Tech Adept

i completely agree with herrsavage above, failing parts are going to change from person to person, it might not be necessary for most, for me i was having issues so i upgraded to try to get away from those issues.
i do think TiNi is a bit overkill and not necessary especially for the cost, and if you can set your gear mesh correctly shouldn't be a problem.
I try to be as conservative as possible when upgrading my rigs. on that note the main reason i recommend the outdrives and diff housing above is they are only a few $ more than stock and if you are going to be buying spares, can upgrade for cheap when/if the stock components do fail or wear out. so far my stock havent failed, but when they do the HDs are what im going to be putting back in. (so far the diffs have been pretty bulletproof though on the .26, the .28 is TBD lol)

really wish new era would make parts again, their roll bars were second to none. really glad RC raven is still doing business as so are their shock springs

Old 04-28-2020, 09:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by snowman49
the 35$ kit comes with everything, they do sell replacements for the kti though which only include certain things like the shafts, plugs, etc. but the "Forward only Conversion kit" does have everything.
i do recommend looking into the gear flip mod when you do the kit if you feel you want a little more speed.

about the main thing i can recommend for the diffs (though i have not had to yet, but also not running a powerhouse engine) would be the HD diff case
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...xxl-2-losb3528
and the HD Outdrives
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...lst-2-losa3503

i dont remember if i posted this link before, but this is a really helpfull link for mods that you can do. it does have kind of a walkthrough on the FOC kit install and the gear flip mod, as well as rebuilding/shimming the diffs.
Losi LST tips and tricks ( 3mm, 4mm screw mods, how to shim LST diffs etc ) Pic heavy
awesome you’re the man. I have all that stuff In my cart, except I have regular outdrives in there, I’ll just get the heavy duty’s and be done with it. You did send that link, I’ll deff check it out again I forgot there was a step by step guide for the foc if I decide to go that route. Last I checked that link, my phone wouldn’t properly load the pocture. I’ll check it out again
Old 04-28-2020, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Work in progress battery tray
Old 04-28-2020, 03:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Way back when I tried to turn my second LST2 into a track truck. Key to that was things like the FOC kit, truggy tires, sway bars, etc.. Ultimately, it just didn't work out. For me I could just never get the transmission to shift right consistently, with small tires. And I didn't want to go to a single speed, like a lot of racers were doing. In the process of trying everything to get it to work, I swapped out transmissions. FWIW I noticed no difference in speed at all from a gear-swapped FOC tranny to a normal stock transmission. In the end I put HPI Savage XL Terrapin tires on it (LST-tire diameter..), and they've been on ever since, and the transmission has shifted like clockwork ever since.. In any case I did a lot of back and forth swapping back then, and never noticed an advantage from an FOC gear-flipped tranny.

I have also never had any issues with stock, standard outdrives. - Not sure if the ones on the original LST are the same and as beefy as the ones on the LST2. I assume not?.. - That they were in such good condition after gallons and gallons, compared to my Savage XSS's, which were like butter in comparison, is one of the main indicators which made me abandon Savages altogether.

I've been out of cars for so long, and into planes(basic PNP Foamies mostly..) And man it's just crazy how much stuff you need for cars. I've been building up a Tamiya 8th scale truggy kit, and thought I could just build a kit and throw in old engines, tires, etc.. Well, I need servos, an on-off switch, etc etc.. I'm being held up having to order all this stuff(which is annoying!!..) I understand many people just like buying tuning stuff for their cars as a part of the hobby in itself. And that's great - whatever floats your boat. I was just always focussed on what is really needed - with performance and toughness being top priorities with no compromise. But I never thought you needed all those fancy tuning chassis', tini gears, and lots of other stuff.. For the LST2s you needed the Integy engine mount, maybe some better springs like RC Raven or the Losi yellows, and that's about it. I was always a fan of the New Era rollbar too. And a wing mount for wheelies.. The rest of the truck was always rock solid afaic..

The original is a bit of a different can of worms though I think.. 14mm hexes for ex. is a no-go IMO.

I'm just blabbering/thinking out loud, so feel free to ignore it all. And no offense to anybody with different opinions, experiences, insignts, preferences, etc etc...
totally agree with this post. I’m not into flashy, useless mods either and my intentions with this truck is to just have a nice runner that I can have fun with. I’m not gonna race or jump it 50 feet in the air, ever. I know what you mean about the parts, it never ends and you always”need” or want more. Or you think you ordered all the parts, and then oh you forgot screws, or oh you forgot bearings and this and that and it goes on and on. Could be frustrating. I originally got this lst roller thinking the same thing youRe thinking about your Tamiya. I was gonna throw in an old engine and be done. Well, we can all see where that went lmao! Today I actually looked at all my orders from Amain since January and almost fainted at the total cost. Lord have mercy. Love this hobby but it’s not cheap and there’s always something you will need to buy, whether it’s a set of screws or a new engine. Always. Speaking of that, I have enough fuel for two more tanks, guess I’m placing another order. P.s I’m super worried about the 14 mm hexes myself. When it comes time I guess I’m going to ask about upgrading to an lst2 setup. I’m guessing I’d need new arms, lst2 axles, lst2 wheel bearings, and either 20mm hexes or a 17 mm hex conversion.

Last edited by Losi215; 04-28-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-28-2020, 03:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rrb1399

Work in progress battery tray
looks nice man! Are you making a custom tray? And those lipos look massive. I don’t know anything about electric but I’m guessing you’re lookin to do a 6s setup maybe?
Old 04-28-2020, 05:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Yeah just formed a box with a heat gun and some lexan and it’s going to be 6s I was co templating 8s but I’ll see if it needs more power after I try it
Old 04-28-2020, 05:41 PM
Tech Adept

just throwing this out there as an idea for the wheel situation.
if you dont want to go with LST2 setup (i dont have much run time behind the LST1 setup as the one that i have run more was already converted, so i cant speak on durability)
you can go with something liek these:
https://www.ebay.com/i/131898903005?...BoCvIkQAvD_BwE
and then get some of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Integy-C224...4AAMXQsMZRkdo6
so far on my MGT i have been plenty happy with integy tires so far, seems to wear well.
straight of integy site there are a few different options as far as colors and slightly different patterns as well. most being around 20-25$ a pair.

the only downside is that if you do go LST2 arms/axles etc, the 23mm adapters will be rendered useless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.