Arrma Granite Mega 4x4 550 Brushed or Traxxas Stampede 4x4 Brushed >

Arrma Granite Mega 4x4 550 Brushed or Traxxas Stampede 4x4 Brushed

Like Tree14Likes

Arrma Granite Mega 4x4 550 Brushed or Traxxas Stampede 4x4 Brushed

Old 11-12-2019, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Arrma Granite Mega 4x4 550 Brushed or Traxxas Stampede 4x4 Brushed

I want to buy my 8-year old nephew a monster truck for Christmas. He already has a Slash that he loves and it has proven to be super durable as expected.

I am torn between the Arrma Granite Mega 4x4 550 brushed or the Traxxas Stampede 4x4 brushed. Please let me know what you prefer and why. No fanboy responses, please.

Arrma

Traxxas

Old 11-13-2019, 07:20 AM
Tech Adept

have an arrma granite 4x4 mega, very durable, so far the only thing that broke it was a full speed run into a steel pole. broke the rear A-arm.
for some reason when we got it the esc was acting up, LHS got ahold of Horizon and swapped it via warranty on the spot.
(i dont think it was common for the esc failure as LHS guy was about as confused as we are for what it was doing, and he sells these primarily.)
parts are cheap, and for me are available, (traxxas cut off parts supply to my LHS) it is pretty fast, tires get really good grip, very easy to work on, typically cheaper.
had about 20 packs in but now it was swapped to a hobbywing BL, so far we swapped out the HD input shaft and that's it since the upgrade.
JatoTheRipper likes this.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snowman49
have an arrma granite 4x4 mega, very durable, so far the only thing that broke it was a full speed run into a steel pole. broke the rear A-arm.
for some reason when we got it the esc was acting up, LHS got ahold of Horizon and swapped it via warranty on the spot.
(i dont think it was common for the esc failure as LHS guy was about as confused as we are for what it was doing, and he sells these primarily.)
parts are cheap, and for me are available, (traxxas cut off parts supply to my LHS) it is pretty fast, tires get really good grip, very easy to work on, typically cheaper.
had about 20 packs in but now it was swapped to a hobbywing BL, so far we swapped out the HD input shaft and that's it since the upgrade.
Yes, Horizon has awesome customer service. Traxxas does as well in my experience. Thank you for your input.

The one bad thing about Arrma is that almost nobody makes aftermarket parts for them. I can't find any for the Granite.
lsear2905 likes this.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:32 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
Yes, Horizon has awesome customer service. Traxxas does as well in my experience. Thank you for your input.

The one bad thing about Arrma is that almost nobody makes aftermarket parts for them. I can't find any for the Granite.
RPM, GPM, and Hot Racing are the main ones.
check out Jteamhobbies, RC planet, Asiatees, and amain for upgrade parts. was able to find aluminum hub carriers, shock towers, body mounts, etc. and shocks

i guess i dont really know how much broader the aftermarket parts support for the 4x4 traxxas models are to compare.
also just remember, dont use Aluminum A-Arms, they take larger hits than plastic, but they dont flex so all the force that hits them goes straight through to the chassis/bulkheads.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Was looking at these as well. I have an "almost 8yr old" son looking to get him into RC. Wanted a truck basher that could take a beating as he'll be hitting a lot of obstacles I'm sure.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have two Stampede 4x4 VXL's. If you run them on a 3s, it busts the plastic driveshafts. I stopped wasting money on them. They are both up on a shelf. I don't own an ARRMA Granite, but I have seen good videos of them on YouTube.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by evhexrc
I have two Stampede 4x4 VXL's. If you run them on a 3s, it busts the plastic driveshafts. I stopped wasting money on them. They are both up on a shelf. I don't own an ARRMA Granite, but I have seen good videos of them on YouTube.
That's odd. I've shredded Traxxas plastic gear transmissions and the shafts were still good.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:36 PM
Tech Regular

Only because the tranny busted first... just another weak point. It’s all weak, it seems. It’s better than some other RTR’s like Redcat, for example, but there are things that are so much better.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Anyone have any knowledge of either truck on sale for black Friday? Haven't seen anything yet.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:40 AM
Tech Regular

No, but I'd check Amain or Amazon for (potential) Cyber Monday deals.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ATD1
Anyone have any knowledge of either truck on sale for black Friday? Haven't seen anything yet.
Sadly, no. Both companies seem to be sticking to MAP pricing.
Old 11-29-2019, 04:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think the fact he's already got a Slash tips the scales towards the Stampede. The Stampede will have better parts support, and plenty of knowledge around regarding upgrading.

Out of the box the Arrma may be better, but less opportunity to upgrade and in 3-5 years no chance of finding spare parts.
vintage1 likes this.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

The more I read about the Mega the more shortcomings it seems to have. I'm pretty set on getting the Stampede 4x4 because of the awesome parts support and aftermarket.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The Granite Mega is a good choice, but for parts support and local hobby shop ease of access, it makes the Traxxas the better choice.

That being said...

Frankly, the Arrma is a better rig that’s better built. I own two of both and one of the Arrma’s has a castle sensored system in it that runs 3s all the time. While I’ve had problems with the front shocks shafts breaking, that’s about it.

The Traxxas...well, that’s another story. I’ve had repeated issues both of those, from driveshafts, to steering knuckles, to burn up motors...they haven’t been reliable whereas my Arrma’s are.

If they made the “mega” version using the same HD parts as the 4s Kraton and Outcast, it would be the clear choice.

My 2 cents.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I own both a Traxxas Stampede vxl and a Typhon 3s both need about the same upgrades to make them better. Stampede shocks pop off caps, Arrma shocks leak.
Stampede will destroy driveshafts on 3s, Arrmas hold up a little better but can still break.
A arms on both are rather Meh.
The brushed electronics that both vehicles come with are not up to the task of powering a 1/10th scale 4wd vehicle, both have issues overheating and should be replaced.
The brushed Traxxas vehicles are at least brushless ready, the Arrma Megas need to be upgraded to the BLX diffs in order to handle more than 2s.
Traxxas tires are rather Meh but it uses 12mm hex which is very common size, Arrma tires are much better although they use 14mm hex not so common but Duratrax makes 12mm hexes for them.
Steering servos are rather mediocre on both.
Traxxas uses rubber sealed bearings, Arrma uses metal shields.
The Arrma is a little easier to work on.
The Stampede is limited to 3660 motor can before chassis modification is necessary, Arrma will accept most 1/8th scale motors, I know the 4274 motors fit.
Traxxas radio is also much better than the Spectrum STX2 radio that comes with the Arrmas, the best place for it is the trash.
Traxxas does have a larger aftermarket but their platform is also much older, 10+ years for Traxxas only 2 years for Arrma.

That being said I would not bother with the brushed versions of either vehicle as you will most likely upgrade to brushless anyway. Not to mention that the brushless Granite costs about the same price as the brushed Stampede.

Just my thoughts and opinions on this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.