Integy shocks for the Savage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Integy shocks for the Savage

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

I got my alloy threaded HPI shocks off tower when they had them at a reduced price. $100 for 8 shocks is pretty damned good when you consider the quality.

Yes, the stock plastic shocks are lighter and do a good job, but threaded shocks are better for racing AND the HPI alloy shocks are less prone to blowing if/when you use thicker oils.

Mine have held up fine - but to be fair I don't do insane stuff. My only criticism is that the springs rub on the shock bodies - alternative springs with a larger diameter on the main coils would cure this.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:05 PM
Tech Adept

Hey guys, I just put the stock HPI shafts in the integy shocks. I hope they wont bind. I changed the o-rings and all that mess. We will see how they hold up. Hey Horatio! Where can I find a spring set, that will fit these Integy shocks that wont rub the shock body. Thanks
Old 02-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by noddy
Ahh - I have the Nova ally shock towers, so not much bending going on. Very light.
if you put nova towers on your truck with no problems that i dont see how its a savage x. there is different moutning for the new bulkheads and front bumper (to allow the diff to come out). i have looked at the tower in exploded diagrams and it has new mounting positions. unless they came out with towers really quick for the X......but thats unlikely
Old 02-27-2006, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by crash21
Hey guys, I just put the stock HPI shafts in the integy shocks. I hope they wont bind. I changed the o-rings and all that mess. We will see how they hold up. Hey Horatio! Where can I find a spring set, that will fit these Integy shocks that wont rub the shock body. Thanks
Well I've seen some dual rate, even some triple rate aftermarlet springs, but from what I've seen so far they have the same diameter from top to bottom, just like stock springs.

Some springs with standard diameter top and bottom coils and larger coils on the rest of the spring (to clear the shock body) would be the dog's bollards. I've yet to see any yet - but I'm going to find some one day!
Old 02-27-2006, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Myt3rocks
the integy shocks don't have as many problems on the x because the shock tower is made of a siffer plasitc. the reason people bend shock shafts on the integy shocks on the 25 is because the shocktowers are made from the same soft plastic as the skidplate. then with the shock body being aluminum and not having any flex at all, the shaft bends because it is the weakest part of the shock. get some gpm multimount aluminum shock towers(i think they are like 30 bucks) and then you will not bend shock shafts so easily because then you would have to bend that arm which is made of the siffest plastic hpi makes on the savage.
You've got me confused here. If people are no longer bending Integy shock shafts on the Savage X, it's purely because Integy has improved the specs of it's shafts lately! I say this because:

Having a flexible shock mount tower should in theory reduce the likely hood of the shock shaft bending - because the shock mount tower would be the weakest link and bend/flex before the shafts get damaged. Based on that logic, making the shock mount tower stiffer would make weak shock shafts even more likely to bend.

The only exception to this is if the flex in the shock mount tower is too excessive, the shock bodies could move to such an extreme angle their smooth operation could be physically compromised.

I think the Integy 'weak shock shaft' is a well known problem. Likewise, plastic shock bodies are far less likely to bend shock shafts than Alloy ones, for the exact same reasons mentioned above. The trade-off is that plastic bodied shocks are more likely to leak or blow seals, especially with thicker oil.

Basically, if you're racing, 4 good, threaded alloy shocks is probably the best solution. If you're bashing - 8 light weight, durable plastic shocks with lower weight oils is hard to beat (and cheaper!!).
Old 02-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (95%+)

Originally Posted by ProudSavageOwnr
steven how much did u pay for your hpi set?? and did u get the set with the ally parts aswell like the knuckles nstuff
i believe they were 89.99 when i bought mine ans i was runnign the rc raven triple rate springs on them.

i really liked them the one thing i always gave hpi credit for was when they finally did release something i had no problems with it.

i never ordered any of the alloy susp. pieces,i always tended to snap the uprights and it was cheaper to replace the plastic upright.

the HPI stuff is pricey but you neevr have to mess with it to get it to work or anything.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

well if the stock savage towers are a so called soft plastic like the bumpers is that they are hi resistance and if u land on them they aint gona brake they will just flex like a monkey but if u dont want flex y dont u just get some 2 mm thick alloy sheet and cut strips to go in an X shape from the screws that mount the shock tower to the diff case and the screws that the shocks are mounted to the shock tower with...but again u can just get some alloy shock towers or sumthing or run a less heavier oil in ur shocks or sumthing i dunno lol
Old 02-27-2006, 06:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

dracy69

Indeed they do fit. You need to pack out the top of the removable diff casing and use different bumper braces. Also, you'll need to cut off the upper arm spacers from the plastic shock tower and put them in place. Solid as a rock.

Last edited by noddy; 02-27-2006 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

you can still get the diffs out fine? how do you like the x? havent heard feedback yet. the new radio case any better? hows the new engine? the truck handle good compared to old savvy's?
Old 02-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah, the diffs come out no problem (good job too - just about to fit new ally casings). Radio case is a bit fiddly, but this is my first Savvy, so unfortunately I can't compare it with previous models. Not as nice as the Hellfire radio box though. It's still a work in progress - just waiting for the last few bits and bobs (Tsais drive shafts, heavy duty diff shafts and cups, Ofna throttle upgrade, Hardcore Racing arms and Tsais TSAV02 c5H pipe). Everything else has been done. When it's fully finished, I'll be able to give you a little more feedback but love the way it handles so far. Sorry I can't be more help than that at the moment. Rest assured though, despite the looks (and my fastidious cleaning after each outing), this is NOT and will NOT be a shelf queen!

Last edited by noddy; 02-27-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:49 PM
Tech Elite

hasnt the X got HD dogbones n stuff? wow i didnt know that
Old 02-28-2006, 03:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

hasnt the X got HD dogbones n stuff? wow i didnt know that
Yes mate, it has. I just like these more (CV and dust boots) Tsais and these HPI. Vanity got the better of me!
Old 02-28-2006, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Your X is looking good! Good job with making those towers fit BTW.

I prefer CVD's too, but keep an eye on those pins and don't expect the rubber boots to last longer than 1 tank of fuel!
Old 03-02-2006, 07:05 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah that is a nice truck. I never take the time to get mine that clean though.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

same here crash who makes their trucks shiny???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.