Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Help with tires! >

Help with tires!

Help with tires!

Old 08-25-2018, 08:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Help with tires!

Hey guys, new here and this actually isn't in regards to a monster truck, but rather using monster truck tires on my 30lb combat robot (pictured). Since I'm new to these tires, I figured I'd ask some folks here with experience using them.

Basically in a nut shell, I am having severe traction issues with my current 3.5" colson tires shown in the picture.

The arena floor is typically wood or steel plating, but is littered with dust and debris which sticks to my current wheels and they just spin out. The weight distribution in my robot is also such that there isn't a ton of weight on the wheels, so I need tires with much more grip.

My setup is a castle 1512-1800kV motor to a 30:1 gearbox running at 4S, PER WHEEL (2 wheels on the robot). I'm a little afraid that even with aluminum beadlock rims, they will not be able to hold the tires on with the torque this setup has. My top speed is around 9mph with my current tires, and I want to switch to 2.2/3.0 Pro-Line caliber tires which would put me closer to 12mph.

I pretty much will need aluminum rims for strength, but given the experience of the people here...can I expect aluminum beadlock wheels to hold the tires on with a setup like this? I'm trying to avoid gluing as I may need to change these in competition often if they take damage. I am open to all suggestions on how to incorporate RC tires into this design.