Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree7Likes

the CEN racing reeper / colossus XT / american force 1/7 monster truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 09:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Glad to see your passion into this truck Werner, I came here from our conversation on youtube and will be posting pictures once my post count is up to 10. Personally, I don't find the Alza products very interesting, nothing wrong with them at all, I think they are doing a great job making the kind of hop ups people expect and want, it is really all aftermarket companies and that whole approach to improving your RC car that I don't care for. How many people have dumped enough money into their E Revo's to buy an ultimate Tekno ET48? Once you start dumping money into stuff, you find yourself so far out of your initial price bracket that you question your entire decision altogether.

You will see shortly that my approach to this truck is very unique, much like yours and the aftermarket products can be rather limiting to my creativity. With a bit of modding, some ugly ad ons and a lot of fun nights tinkering, you can achieve something far better than all the gorgeous aluminum and carbon fiber ad ons will ever get you. That is of course, if you are really after more performance and durability, not bling, I cannot do bling and don't understand it but if thats what you want, go nuts, just don't try to talk me into it
Old 08-05-2018, 09:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Redeemed
Glad to see your passion into this truck Werner, I came here from our conversation on youtube and will be posting pictures once my post count is up to 10. Personally, I don't find the Alza products very interesting, nothing wrong with them at all, I think they are doing a great job making the kind of hop ups people expect and want, it is really all aftermarket companies and that whole approach to improving your RC car that I don't care for. How many people have dumped enough money into their E Revo's to buy an ultimate Tekno ET48? Once you start dumping money into stuff, you find yourself so far out of your initial price bracket that you question your entire decision altogether.

You will see shortly that my approach to this truck is very unique, much like yours and the aftermarket products can be rather limiting to my creativity. With a bit of modding, some ugly ad ons and a lot of fun nights tinkering, you can achieve something far better than all the gorgeous aluminum and carbon fiber ad ons will ever get you. That is of course, if you are really after more performance and durability, not bling, I cannot do bling and don't understand it but if thats what you want, go nuts, just don't try to talk me into it
hey ! thanks for your comment ! you know that my CEN colossus doesn't exist anymore ? i turned it into a truggy : i already did some testing but the spindle finally broke. so i'm waiting for money to buy some new ones !

I told you my first and only motivation what to make this big truck able to survive all my stunts, but what is your motivation ?
Old 08-07-2018, 03:19 PM
Tech Addict

What's the diameter of the axles on these? the 23mm hex looks like it has an inside diameter of 8mm just like 1/8 truggies/buggies. I'm thinking of using the CEN wheels and hexes on a 1/8 truggy
Old 08-07-2018, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gavsta72
What's the diameter of the axles on these? the 23mm hex looks like it has an inside diameter of 8mm just like 1/8 truggies/buggies. I'm thinking of using the CEN wheels and hexes on a 1/8 truggy
yes, it's the regular 8mm size ; i put regular 17mm hex to put my HOBAO BT503 wheels ! because the stock one are heavy and the rims are too big ( no cushion ) : 1 cen complete wheel : 500 grs , arrma backflip 360grs
stock cen is indeed 23mm. i never used the stock ones !

if your bash with your truggy, you might consider the huge added weight with CEN wheels ( note that the stock hex are made of steel ! )
gavsta72 likes this.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:41 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by werner sline
yes, it's the regular 8mm size ; i put regular 17mm hex to put my HOBAO BT503 wheels ! because the stock one are heavy and the rims are too big ( no cushion ) : 1 cen complete wheel : 500 grs , arrma backflip 360grs
stock cen is indeed 23mm. i never used the stock ones !

if your bash with your truggy, you might consider the huge added weight with CEN wheels ( note that the stock hex are made of steel ! )
Ok thanks mate
Old 08-13-2018, 06:46 PM
Tech Rookie

I love to bash like crazy and pull my kids around with my RC's, I am not looking for something to brake the world record of back flips but I do break stuff jumping from time to time. I have a pair of basher sabertooth truggies and a brushless Mamba Monster X traxxas summit among others and I love the handling of the truggies and the massive tires and clearance of the summit, hopefully this will strike some kind of middle ground, I do have the colossus XT by the way, not the original colossus. I would say that about half of my time running RC's is in the winter with snow because I am self employed (food truck owner) and work like crazy all summer so I don't get much free time until the winter. I was going to get the X maxx but I have come to love turning something less well known into my own project, I also didn't want to spend the $1200 needed to get an X maxx up and going to acceptable standards. So far, with the sales of factory original parts off of mine and the fact that I got it for so cheap, I only have about $250 in my colossus so far - total.

I was inspired by several people who seem to really like this truck, Vas was probably the first one to really get me excited about it, there have been several others afterwards but he was the one that really gave me the itch. I love a lot of the X maxx components so I went ahead and used them on my build, like the tires and body, I was originally going to use the X Maxx motor as well (may switch to it someday, who knows?) but I got the motor I have for basically free and it should be good and powerful
Old 08-13-2018, 07:18 PM
Tech Rookie

I should note that a lot of my build revolves around finding a good way to mount the 5692 leopard motor. Most people just spend $100 on the alza mount but that still has the motor stupid high. I simply drilled out the stock mount holes and attached it to lower pair (not opposing) motor holes and flipped the whole diff upside down to get the motor down.

Because the drive shafts have to reach higher, I didn't want the added slop or to shorten the chassis, so I made a new chassis from 4mm 7075 aluminium. A second long drive shaft was used to reach and I made the entire chassis about 40mm longer (rather than the 48mm that alza does) the slightly shorter whellbase, coupled with the slightly longer x Maxx body make it look a bit more tolerable than alza's but I still think it's an inch too long for the body.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Redeemed
I should note that a lot of my build revolves around finding a good way to mount the 5692 leopard motor. Most people just spend $100 on the alza mount but that still has the motor stupid high. I simply drilled out the stock mount holes and attached it to lower pair (not opposing) motor holes and flipped the whole diff upside down to get the motor down.

Because the drive shafts have to reach higher, I didn't want the added slop or to shorten the chassis, so I made a new chassis from 4mm 7075 aluminium. A second long drive shaft was used to reach and I made the entire chassis about 40mm longer (rather than the 48mm that alza does) the slightly shorter whellbase, coupled with the slightly longer x Maxx body make it look a bit more tolerable than alza's but I still think it's an inch too long for the body.
holy noodle , we got to see that on pictures !!

glad that you like the CEN, it's a good big truck that can be really durable with some cheap mods like i did. no need for bling parts indeed

here's jason powerfull 8s reepaaaah

Old 09-19-2018, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

well, after 4 nice videos all about nicely landing tricks with the CEN, here are the crashes !

Old 09-21-2018, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

how cool is that ? big squid is talking about me !

Video ? Insane Modified CEN Reeper RC Monster Truck Beatdown! « Big Squid RC ? RC Car and Truck News, Reviews, Videos, and More!
angrymelon likes this.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Werner, or who ever is listening; what is the best Lipo's for the Cenn reeper? 6S I suppose; but what C rating, brand, and size do you recommend for the best performance?
Old 09-27-2018, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jasonb777
Werner, or who ever is listening; what is the best Lipo's for the Cenn reeper? 6S I suppose; but what C rating, brand, and size do you recommend for the best performance?
well i'm a bad lipo advice giver !! because i always take small and light lipos for my jumps on always too long gearing !! that makes them live shorter !!

i use 2x3s on my CEN from RC JUICE : cheap 5100 / 50c softpacks which should be too small, but runs quiet good on the 2200kv i run !!

i don't take hardcase anymore, they eventually break !
Old 09-27-2018, 06:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Werner if you wouldn't mind, man I sure would appreciate it if you would break out a measuring tape and measure the dimensions of the lipo mounting area; I am ready to buy the Cen, but I don't have anything but small lipo's for my quadcopters laying around.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Werner if you wouldn't mind, man I sure would appreciate it if you would break out a measuring tape and measure the dimensions of the lipo mounting area; I am ready to buy the Cen, but I don't have anything but small lipo's for my quadcopters laying around.
for sure, i measured 132mm x 56 mm

notice that one side of the tray is open
check out this picture : as my reeper is heavily modified, i can't give you the lenght of the green line !

but you should join this FB group this find more answers ! https://www.facebook.com/groups/colossusrc/
Old 09-27-2018, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

hey by the way, will you buy a second hand reeper or a new one ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.