Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Monster Jam Solid Axle Monster Truck - best platform? >

Monster Jam Solid Axle Monster Truck - best platform?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

Monster Jam Solid Axle Monster Truck - best platform?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 10:43 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default Monster Jam Solid Axle Monster Truck - best platform?

I want to build another solid axle truck. My last one was many, many moons ago when the Clodbuster axles were pretty much all that was available.

Now that we have options (Axial SMT10, Ground Pounder, Wraith based, etc), what is the best platform for building a monster jam "freestyle" type of truck?
Old 04-27-2018, 10:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Kyosho Mad Force (electric/nitro) is your best option for performance/durability.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:02 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Buckland
Kyosho Mad Force (electric/nitro) is your best option for performance/durability.
That recommendation surprises me.

The Kyosho trucks (Mad Force, Mad Crusher, etc.) have almost no aftermarket support and have a very funky steering/servo setup, not to mention the chain drive.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:03 PM
Tech Regular

They can really take a beating out of the box. None of the other shaft driven trucks were designed to handle the big power or clod sized tires. Clods are great race trucks, but not durable enough to really bash on.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:45 PM
KMN
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

If you want the best, then this is it - Freestyle axles.

Axles

Those are awesome axles, and even better if you toss in 1/8th scale diffs with a UE Ultralite diff case.
rjohn929 and TIME MACHINE like this.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:59 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by KMN
If you want the best, then this is it - Freestyle axles.

Axles

Those are awesome axles, and even better if you toss in 1/8th scale diffs with a UE Ultralite diff case.
I see they are sold out. Are they still in production?
Old 04-28-2018, 08:38 AM
KMN
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TIME MACHINE

I see they are sold out. Are they still in production?
They come and go, if you message the guy he will put you on a list to make sure you get a pair out of his next run. They sell out very quickly with the current monster truck scene.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I have been thinking about the same question. I have an old Wheely King and a heavily modified clod. They are both a lot of fun, but require lots of repairs and maintenance. Given the upheaval in the industry (companies merging, going out of business) I agree with your feeling, which is that parts support is the key issue these days.

Given that the axles and drivetrain are the heart of the MT, my plan is this:
-- get a TRX-4 roller (axles, transmission, links)
-- eliminate the portals (portal delete kit from SSD)
-- get a one-speed conversion for the transmission (no need for 2-speed with modern brushless+lipo)
-- SMT10 chassis
-- proline shocks (although traxxas would be fine here as well)
-- eliminate the remote locking in the rear for sure, undecided on the front (not sure about durability)

That would give you a Traxxas driveline all the way through, and I like their parts support and aftermarket support.
TIME MACHINE likes this.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I don’t know the answer to your question but I know what the answer isn’t and that’s the Redcat Ground Pounder. I got one for cheap and it’s been on the shelf broken for years. The axle housings break easily, the ring and pinion need an incredible amount of shimming, the spur needs to be upgraded out of the box, the springs are too stiff, just don’t. The radio is kind of cool with its steering options (front, rear, 4ws and crab walk) but the drivetrain basically needs to be replaced entirely. There are axle braces and upgrade parts out there but you’ll spend more on those than replacing the drivetrain.
TIME MACHINE and MattKimble like this.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:49 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Thanks for all of the input.

I am thinking about using a Wraith for the basics, like axles and drivetrain. I will probably order the custom chassis and just convert it into a MT. It seems both affordable and fun. I'm sure the Wraith axles are up to the task, or so I would think.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TIME MACHINE
Thanks for all of the input.

I am thinking about using a Wraith for the basics, like axles and drivetrain. I will probably order the custom chassis and just convert it into a MT. It seems both affordable and fun. I'm sure the Wraith axles are up to the task, or so I would think.
Guys run them, but they don't hold up very well in their stock configuration. Most guys are running them fully optioned with aluminum C hubs, "beef tubes," hardened diff gears etc. If you don't go too crazy bashing on them you will probably be fine, and you can upgrade as needed.
TIME MACHINE likes this.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:03 AM
Tech Regular

Twin force based truck. You can run a Axial Style servo mount to erase your steering concerns, and don't worry about the chain drive as it's solid.
ROWDY RACING and TIME MACHINE like this.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:26 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Buckland

Twin force based truck. You can run a Axial Style servo mount to erase your steering concerns, and don't worry about the chain drive as it's solid.

Twin Force axles, tranny and odds and ends? What chassis is that?
Old 05-01-2018, 08:57 AM
Tech Regular

That is a prototype chassis made by Tad Goad (no idea if he plans to produce them), but the geometry is basically standard twin force. If you buy a twin force, servo mount, and some axle adapters for that wheel tire setup you basically have the truck above. That chassis is just for looks. Much better option than an Axial based truck IMO. Ground Pounder isn't even an option, as stated above haha.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

SMT-10 is my choice. Dont go wild on the power and you are set. I currently run a 17t Radon brushed motor, an XL5 on 2s and it has plenty of go. Next on my list is a proper servo(running the stock TSX45 and its hurting).

If you want wild power then go with the Kyosho. The current Mad Crusher has a great looking body and really only needs some Clod tires to look the part.

34253B Mad Crusher VE EP-MT 4WD Readyset

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.