Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Which esc is the best? >

Which esc is the best?

Which esc is the best?

Old 01-12-2018, 06:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Which esc is the best?

Has anyone had any experience with the hobbywing esc's? Ezrun max6 to be particular.? It's a 1/6th scale esc
Old 01-12-2018, 07:35 AM
Tech Regular

Eh. Like so many other things in our Hobby, that's a loaded question and also one that varies based on experience.

I want to say that Hobbywing makes great products. I own a Max6 and a few Max5's with no issues. HW is also OEM for many RC brands, such as a Redcat Racing and Losi.

I personally prefer the newest offerings from Castle, especially paired with the sensored motors.

Company's like Tekin and Maclan make amazing stuff, but I think most people will tell you this is for the professional racing crowd or others who feel the need to constantly adjust/fine tune motor control based upon the type of driving they want to do. Now, that's not always the case. I have several Tekin RX8 Gen II's in some of my Tekno Bashers (MT-410's) and they work great. I just don't really "need" the extra abilities they offer for a bash rig.

On the crawler end, Castle has recently moved into this sector and has some very nice sensored systems (the slate motors). Also, consider Holmes Hobbies for anything related to low speed crawlers, include brushed motors/ESC's.

If you want this for a 1/6 scale bashing application, I think your best bet is the Hobbywing MAX6...and, if you want room to grow, the MAX5. There are other options out there, but in terms of cost and proven reliability, that's your best choice.

Last edited by Steel_Rain; 01-12-2018 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steel_Rain View Post
Eh. Like so many other things in our Hobby, that's a loaded question and also one that varies based on experience.

I want to say that Hobbywing makes great products. I own a Max6 and a few Max5's with no issues. HW is also OEM for many RC brands, such as a Redcat Racing and Losi.

I personally prefer the newest offerings from Castle, especially paired with the sensored motors.

Company's like Tekin and Maclan make amazing stuff, but I think most people will tell you this is for the professional racing crowd or others who feel the need to constantly adjust/fine tune motor control based upon the type of driving they want to do. Now, that's not always the case. I have several Tekin RX8 Gen II's in some of my Tekno Bashers (MT-410's) and they work great. I just don't really "need" the extra abilities they offer for a bash rig.

On the crawler end, Castle has recently moved into this sector and has some very nice sensored systems (the slate motors). Also, consider Holmes Hobbies for anything related to low speed crawlers, include brushed motors/ESC's.

If you want this for a 1/6 scale bashing application, I think your best bet is the Hobbywing MAX6...and, if you want room to grow, the MAX5. There are other options out there, but in terms of cost and proven reliability, that's your best choice.
One of the best responses I have ever gotten on this forum. Thank you. My plan is to run a posideon 1500 motor on 6s in a savage flux xl. My favorite esc is the takin rx8 because of its size and my experience with it. Hobbywing is relatively cheap in my opinion and just was a skeptical about how it could perform. When the time come I think I will just take that max5. How large is it compared to let's say the mamba xlx? Anyone know?