Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New MN Member Checking In

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Default New MN Member Checking In

I wanted to send out a message to all MN members and Introduce myself. I am new to the RC racing scene but have built and destroyed multiple RC trucks. I have two small children so when they were born and infants I got out of RC and am now looking to get into racing.

I caught the thread on indoor racing in Cottage Grove and would love to come check it out. I live in IGH and grew up in Cottage Grove so I am excited that it is so close to where I live

I was wondering if its possible to purchase like a TC4 RTR ( any suggestions on a good RTR starter car) and come out and run the Novice class to get a feel for racing before I spend big money on anything else and really jump into racing.

I am planning on coming out on to the armory in December and want to partake in the fun!

Anyways, thanks for the great forum and I look forward to a wealth of information!

Thanks,

Chris
Old 11-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

That is a good plan with the tc4. Once you get used to it you will want something better. But the tc4 is a great starter car to bash around with.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:58 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Also makes a awsome vta car change packs around 27 turn motor body tires and racing
Old 11-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Have to agree on the TC4 , easy to get parts for, another ggod choice would be to start with a 18R rtr, almost more usable and less work, more places to race it more often....
Old 11-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

welcome to the frozen tundra
RC racing is alive and kicking here actually it is gowing pretty well
here is my sugestion.. what type of racing are looking to get into
offroad or on road
if on road is your thing its just starting to grow here there is a couple of places to do it most races are 1 dayers there is the skatin place every saturday in st.cloud (carpet) , there is the new Twin Cities On road club that just started check this forum for the info it sounds a little more competitive, and I believe there is a onroad race held in duluth frequently held by the duluth club dont quote me on that

But if offroad is your thing
there is racing indoor durring the winter at a few places
Mike Fisk will host a couple of races in staples at the moto dome and
Jon Carlson has a winter series at the Red Horse Ranch near alexandria
but the BEST racing IMO is the Minnesota Nitro Series these are 3 day arces held once a month in the summer a traveling point series Family oriented and a great time
check out this link for the MN nitro series and info on pretty much all other races http://www.mnnitroseries.com/
this series has a great beginners class called sportsman for beginners and kids also we will have new this year a electric 1/10th class great for beginners and economical
P.S. RTR's are a great way to start but as soon as your hooked on racing or if you plan to race at all competitively it was a waste to even buy one generally I recomend buying a used vehicle from someone in the area that will sell it to you with their spare parts
Old 11-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Tech Adept

Just an hour or so south in Rochester, Tea's Hobby and raceway just opened up a few weeks ago. Here's a thread on this forum with a vid:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/minnesot...t-oval-mn.html

In the winter, it's all about dirt-oval, which includes touring sedan classes.

In the summer there will be a nice off road track and an outdoor dirt oval.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Wait... WHAT? St Cloud is still racing at the roller rink? on Carpet?? any more contact info?
Old 11-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

I ran at the rink on carpet a couple of years ago. Its not ozite. You run sedan, truck or buggy. On the sedan you run schumacher rally spikes with about 2mm of ride. Its actually really fun but I have no clue when they run now. Vandalen has the schedule on his web page but I have no idea what that is.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ffejdat
Wait... WHAT? St Cloud is still racing at the roller rink? on Carpet?? any more contact info?
http://www.mnnitroseries.com/modules...ewtopic&t=1880
Old 11-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Cool, thanks for digging that up! 18t/b's might be fun up there....
Old 11-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the replys. I think I have decided to start small check out some events then if the bug is right then dig into a kit to build a racer. If anything the RTR that I purchase I can have my son play with when i am done.

I believe I am going to purchase the Tc4, anyone know of a place locally to pick one up?
Old 11-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by bootsie99
I wanted to send out a message to all MN members and Introduce myself. I am new to the RC racing scene but have built and destroyed multiple RC trucks. I have two small children so when they were born and infants I got out of RC and am now looking to get into racing.

I caught the thread on indoor racing in Cottage Grove and would love to come check it out. I live in IGH and grew up in Cottage Grove so I am excited that it is so close to where I live

I was wondering if its possible to purchase like a TC4 RTR ( any suggestions on a good RTR starter car) and come out and run the Novice class to get a feel for racing before I spend big money on anything else and really jump into racing.

I am planning on coming out on to the armory in December and want to partake in the fun!

Anyways, thanks for the great forum and I look forward to a wealth of information!

Thanks,

Chris
I think you have the best idea on which class to run in Cottage Grove at the armory. The novice class looks very competitive! I saw the main and they were driving the heck out of those cars. The TC4 rtr is an OK car to start with, but if it were me and I had some dough left after the purchase I would put a few "extras into it, in this order":

FOAM CARPET TIRES !
a different motor (27 turn stock)
a different ESC (Novak gtx or something equal)
FM radio and reciever (Sectrum would be better)
hand built,matched battery packs (maybe 2 or 3 , 6 cell packs)
deans connectors for the motor and batteries
CVDs
a racing body like a DNA or mazda 6
some traction compound

The top competitors turned some good laps and the racing was tight:

-- Novice - A Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 2 27 5:02.50 Kevin Dupre
2 1 27 5:08.41 Jon Little
3 6 26 5:08.69 Josh Froyd
4 5 25 5:12.30 Dean Erickson
5 3 24 5:11.91 RJ Pfeilsticker
6 4 19 5:05.28 Tom Stern

Yes this hobby can be a little spendy, lol
Old 11-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by davo7
I think you have the best idea on which class to run in Cottage Grove at the armory. The novice class looks very competitive! I saw the main and they were driving the heck out of those cars. The TC4 rtr is an OK car to start with, but if it were me and I had some dough left after the purchase I would put a few "extras into it, in this order":

FOAM CARPET TIRES !
a different motor (27 turn stock)
a different ESC (Novak gtx or something equal)
FM radio and reciever (Sectrum would be better)
hand built,matched battery packs (maybe 2 or 3 , 6 cell packs)
deans connectors for the motor and batteries
CVDs
a racing body like a DNA or mazda 6
some traction compound

The top competitors turned some good laps and the racing was tight:

-- Novice - A Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 2 27 5:02.50 Kevin Dupre
2 1 27 5:08.41 Jon Little
3 6 26 5:08.69 Josh Froyd
4 5 25 5:12.30 Dean Erickson
5 3 24 5:11.91 RJ Pfeilsticker
6 4 19 5:05.28 Tom Stern

Yes this hobby can be a little spendy, lol
Well I wasnt thinking I would be competitive, I just want to try it out. Is novice the beginner class correct?

Also if I am gathering up some essentials for a race day what type of items would I need to have, besides the obvious items.

Sorry for all the questions fellas!
Old 11-26-2008, 05:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

foam tires,ESC and good batteries could save a little frustration. Yes novice is suppose to be new guys. Josh F. has at least 1 year experience and if he tries can make it around the track without crashing. I believe this is the class for you to start. I hope the novice class attracts even more new guys to even things up a bit.You do not have to be a member to race. I am not. That 100 dollars could go to batteries and tires.

Dave B.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I see trinity has a nice starter kit Touring Car for like $120 on towerhobbies
take the extra $100 bucks you save and buy yourselve a decent charger and then go to the races and talk to people and just ask them if they have any packs or chargers or motors to sell you'd be surprised at how many of us have R/C stuff coming out of our ears you could buy for cheap

I,ve got packs and a charger posted for sale on this site

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.