Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 04:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

See ya down there paul s.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I will be there for sure on Tuesday with my 12L4... Morosis may tag along as well... I'm about 80% assembled.... Hopefully I can get the rest put together this weekend!
Old 11-19-2006, 06:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What the heck is goin on around here. Should only take 2 hours tops to build a 1/12 scale. There's nothin to 'em. No excuses. Be there Tuesday, or be square.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:01 AM
Tech Adept

do you guys race nitro or just electric

because i am moving to mn from socal and need a place to practice on-road not to far from woodbury
Old 11-19-2006, 09:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Electric only. Website is www.thercbarn.com
Old 11-19-2006, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mattster
do you guys race nitro or just electric

because i am moving to mn from socal and need a place to practice on-road not to far from woodbury
We have a group that races on-road 1/10 and 1/8. We also have the Heart of America race series. Can't run nitro in the winter you would freeze you balls........I mean your wheels off.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Check out mnnitroseries.com for nitro racing (summer only).
Old 11-21-2006, 01:38 AM
Tech Master

Hey Mark, wonderin' if I'm gonna have to stop at the hobby shop before I come down and race tonite. Do you have any Motor Spray and Tire traction compound. If not. Then I know what I must do.....GIT 'ER DONE!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2006, 06:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Bubby

I got em !
Old 11-21-2006, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

NICE
Old 11-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

P.S. I have not set up an credit card machine yet, so bring cash or check please.

Pics of first lay-out should be up on the web site soon.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Good racing tonight, some tight racing action in the mains. Here is a pic of the first night out for 12th scale...lots of fun!

Also, congrats to Rick P. on TQ and the win for the Corally! Bub was a very close 2nd with his CRC, and Dan O in 3rd with a 12L4.

I helped a couple people out and got a request to post a few tips in here so here ya go. I'll add more later, but just going to cover some basics for now...

Key tip #1 - Diff Building
Learn how to build a good diff. A good diff will be smooth while still being quite secure. You check this by holding both rear tires and trying to move the gear with your thumb. With significant effort it should just move.

Key components to a good diff:
1) Good clean, undamaged bearings (most important)
2) new diff balls, ceramic are nice but spendy, normal diff balls are fine, buy in quantity since you will be checking your diff on a weekly/bi-weekly basis.
3) Diff rings. Again, buy several sets, that should last you the season. You can use both sides of the diff ring; however, the none polished side can be polished by dremel or 1000 grit sand paper.
4) Building a good thrust washer. This is often overlooked when building a diff but is also very critical to the quality of the diff build. be sure to use ample black grease and replace the balls when you replace the diff balls.

If you follow those simple steps, you'll have much better success with the performance of your 12er.

Key Tip #2 - Gear Mesh
Be sure to set your gear mesh to the high spot on the spur gear. You check this by rotating the spur gear every 3-4 teeth until you find the spot with the least gear lash. You set your mesh to that spot.

Key Tip #3 - Tire Maintenance
It is very important to clean out the tires after each run for consistancy. As far as adding tire sauce, it is important it be on your tires at least 5 mins before the race. The longer the compound sets in, the more traction (to a degree) can be achieved. Be sure to rotate the tires from side to side after the 2nd qualifier, it will help maintain their shape and keep you from trueing them before its necessary

Key Tip #4 - Tweak
Spend $30 and get a MIP tweak guage, its a critical tool for 12th scale. Tweak decribes a condition in which the rear pod under power will react differently to steering inputs from right or left. This often causes an inbalance in the car the driver can easily indentify. Often times it results in a car hooking or pulling to one side under power.

It is important to rectify and check this between rounds when you have time. Simple steps are:
1) Make sure teh tweak screws are "just" engaged to the chasis. This is important since if the screws are too far in, they will add tweak to the T-Bar.
2) Level the tweak board
3) Place car on center on board with rear of car on tilting side of balancer
4) check bubble for proper tweak, once it is in the center the tweak is set.
5) Be sure both tweak screws touch the chassis as a precaution after adjustment

IMPORTANT NOTE: When adjusting tweak, it is important to make small changes to both screw and not just one for each adjustment. This will prevent one screw from beign turned in or out too far.

Also consider that if you tweak a new car and it comes off after hitting a board tweaked, you will need to indentify where the tweak is coming from and possibly replace the part before re-setting tweak.

Key Tip #5 - Top shock
Many people have asked what adjusting the top shock does. It controls how the car reacts to on/off power. By firming the spring or adding preload, the more steering you will have as very little of the acceleration force is moved to the rear tires (causing a loose feel, car roatates harder on power). And the inverse is also true, the softer you go the more on-power steering you will lose(push). This can be a handy way of addressing a car the wiggles on acceleration, or one that pushes alot on acceleration. I would suggest 30wt with a blue spring minimum from AE, with a tendancy for a stiffer spring as traction comes up and the groove forms at the track. Make small 1 turn adjustments to pre-load.

That's all for now. I'll cover, Toe-in/Toe-out next, proper shimming, radio settings/steering settings (EPA), and body basics next week.

L8R,
Greg
Attached Thumbnails Hampton MN Rc Racing-image_00066.jpg  

Last edited by Greg Amendola; 11-21-2006 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well I'm certainly looking forward to starting onroad. Should be a lot different with no jumps. I am going to be picking up an L4 here soon and should be ready by either Tuesday or the Sunday after the coming weekend. Looking forward to racing with you all and hope that I will pick up on things fast.

James V
Old 11-21-2006, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Quick look under the hood of Rick's Corally SP12M AE.

Nice speedo BTW
Attached Thumbnails Hampton MN Rc Racing-image_00068.jpg  
Old 11-22-2006, 02:09 AM
Tech Adept

Nice turn out for the first onroad race wish i could have been there. Thanks greg for the pics and the info.Have a nice turkey day see ya scott

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.