Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

THE TRACK RACEWAY

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Why don't we have clay yet. They have it at bumps and jumps and it is way better. Also it is not that dirty. People complane that they r braking stuff to easy on the asphalt. Well get something with a little bit of give to it. I really do think more people would come there to race if it was clay. And if we r going to call it off road then let's make it off road. I no people r going to say, well about the slot car track. I don't care about it first of all. The people using that track only once a month and sometimes not even every month. If Mimi wants to keep it put a frigin tarp on it and call It a day. If you build it they will come.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:01 AM
Tech Adept

I've raced in th dirt a lot in the last few weeks. If its ran right there's no dust. I say it would be better for everyone. The main reason is for the turnout both places I've been have doubled are turnouts. Not just here and there but every weekend. There's a lot of people who say the track is n a great spot to bring a crowd just needs dirt.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:44 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bo Lagana
I've raced in th dirt a lot in the last few weeks. If its ran right there's no dust. I say it would be better for everyone. The main reason is for the turnout both places I've been have doubled are turnouts. Not just here and there but every weekend. There's a lot of people who say the track is n a great spot to bring a crowd just needs dirt.
Bo is right. I do think the turn out will duble if clay is put in. Also there is no dust at bumps.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

There are lots of reasons that have already been discussed. A few that haven't.

1) As far as Bumps, they only run indoor off-road in the winter. Their off road program, as I understand it, closes down in the summer while all the racers are outside. Not sure about ECH staying open - I think they may have an outdoor setup that they use in the summer. So, we see here that many racers, including Mimi's run outside when it gets warm. It's not just because of the asphalt either. Most of our guys will say that running at Mimi's makes them blazing fast when it's time to go outside. Many of the indoor places dry up in the warmer months, so we are coming into a time frame when many racers are starting to unload their 1/10 stuff and starting to purchase 1/8 stuff. IF (a big if) she wanted to go to clay, she should have done it at the end of the summer season for maximum return. It's too late now.

2) Isn't a new indoor off-road dirt opening in Waldorf?

3) Mimi is hosting an on road TCS race (national Tamiya racing series) in June.

As far as Bumps -their glass smooth clay is as hard as concrete and they have wooden jumps. Personally, I did not notice too much of a difference between Bumps and The Track except a bit less traction.

Justin, my Durango is set up mid motor, so you can be assured that it will stay at home. I am only running Mod 4x4 SCT at ROC.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SMcD
There are lots of reasons that have already been discussed. A few that haven't.

1) As far as Bumps, they only run indoor off-road in the winter. Their off road program, as I understand it, closes down in the summer while all the racers are outside. Not sure about ECH staying open - I think they may have an outdoor setup that they use in the summer. So, we see here that many racers, including Mimi's run outside when it gets warm. It's not just because of the asphalt either. Most of our guys will say that running at Mimi's makes them blazing fast when it's time to go outside. Many of the indoor places dry up in the warmer months, so we are coming into a time frame when many racers are starting to unload their 1/10 stuff and starting to purchase 1/8 stuff. IF (a big if) she wanted to go to clay, she should have done it at the end of the summer season for maximum return. It's too late now.

2) Isn't a new indoor off-road dirt opening in Waldorf?

3) Mimi is hosting an on road TCS race (national Tamiya racing series) in June.

As far as Bumps -their glass smooth clay is as hard as concrete and they have wooden jumps. Personally, I did not notice too much of a difference between Bumps and The Track except a bit less traction.

Justin, my Durango is set up mid motor, so you can be assured that it will stay at home. I am only running Mod 4x4 SCT at ROC.
We are unclear on what's going to happen in Waldorf. However, if the "TRACK"
Decided to go dirt then I would forget about even doing anything down here. Because there is always a good turnout at mimi's and that's what it's all about. I'd even pitch in to pay for the dirt. Of course you guys would have to get rid of those dingo cars. I hear they suck when they get dirty. And my boy Bo has been dealin out pink slips on ass whoopins with that b4 anyways. So I'm told. But hell yeah. Let's go buy some dirt. The only thing I'm concerned about down this way is getting the outdoor track done for 1/8 scale. And if the land owner cant get the zoning right then that won't happen either. So I'll support who ever and wherever as long as its in Maryland
Old 01-23-2012, 06:50 AM
Tech Adept

Besides. Last year Mimi's was still kickin it big with all the outdoor racing on. So I don't see any outdoor racing effect that place at all. But move in some dirt and I think you will see a big increase on the rosters every week. Just sayin. I'd rather race in the shade. Let's Git it done.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:05 AM
Tech Adept

I understand what your saying Shawn but there's a lot of talk about people not wanting to race 1/8 because of all the traveling. Like u said bumps closes in the summer so there's never been a good 1/10 track close all year. If there was you would find its easier to stay at mimis then to travel. What do u have lcrc which is far awesome hobbyhut g's hell they can't even work together so the turnouts are aways different who wants to pick a place to race if it was just one track each weekend it would make for better racing.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

....Wow, back when Mimi's track was onroad all you offroad guys talked sh!t about us wanting to change the surface....now look
Old 01-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Tech Regular

I don't no what bumps shutting down in the summer time has to do with what putting dirt at the track is. I have not seen a good a turn out at the track on a weekend since I stopped racing about 10 years ago when it was onroad. I think putting in dirt will bring in more people. Also racing on the asfalt is nuthing like racing in the dirt. 2wd buggy is way different. If think it is not then u dont no what u r talking about.

Dirt dirt dirt
Old 01-23-2012, 09:35 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by The Teacher
....Wow, back when Mimi's track was onroad all you offroad guys talked sh!t about us wanting to change the surface....now look
I don't no anything about that I was not there for that. And I think the reason for the offroad now is because all the onroad guys stopped coming there to race. So what r u trying to say.

Last edited by jpitts; 01-23-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Teach is talking about when it went from carpet to ashpalt, to carpet...back to asphalt....
Old 01-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Carpet onroad and dirt offroad in the same indoor facility (assuming finances are handled correctly) = money printing machine.

The Track can accommodate this, but I know Mimi is pretty content with her business so I don't blame her for keeping the offroad asphalt racing.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by The Teacher
Well, let's be fair. When Mimi ran both on and off road, it was the off road guys that changed the track back and forth every week. We did the work for both groups and most of us off road guys ran on road there too. The track was 1/2 week off 1/2 week on every week. The debate wasn't just about rolling out the carpet for the indoor season of on road. It was about the not perfectly glass smooth asphalt that would be under the carpet. The on road guys wanted her to go to extreme measures ($$$) to smooth things for them, or they would walk - which they did - AFTER which, she went off road all the time to make $ (keep doors open).

She pulled the carpet for the on road guys. She put down asphalt for the on road guys. She investigated ways to fix the asphalt that was not good enough for the on road guys. We set the track for the on road guys. But no on road guys were showing up at all for whatever reason. It was sad. When we put out the jumps on Sunday morning for the Sun-Wed off road, track filled up... Gone all summer, then want her to cater in the winter. What is she to do?

She has always tried to keep everyone happy, probably to the detriment of the track.

With all this drama, MRH springs up. A good thing.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jpitts
I don't no what bumps shutting down in the summer time has to do with what putting dirt at the track is. I have not seen a good a turn out at the track on a weekend since I stopped racing about 10 years ago when it was onroad. I think putting in dirt will bring in more people. Also racing on the asfalt is nuthing like racing in the dirt. 2wd buggy is way different. If think it is not then u dont no what u r talking about.

Dirt dirt dirt
They close b/c everyone's outside racing... Everyone's outside racing...
Old 01-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

For the February 4th ROAR race, when is the track layout going down?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.