Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic RC Racing
McCullough's Offroad in Sarver, Pa >

McCullough's Offroad in Sarver, Pa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

McCullough's Offroad in Sarver, Pa

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Another great day of racing. Awsome track and people
Old 03-16-2014, 11:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

First Serpent Challenge race coming up! June 28th
Old 03-21-2014, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Can't wait till outdoor racing starts
Old 12-08-2014, 06:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

What times is the indoor track open. I'm traveling with work I'd like to come check out your track.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:50 AM
B24
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 76jimmy
What times is the indoor track open. I'm traveling with work I'd like to come check out your track.
Doors open at 7:00 AM, racing begins at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B24
Doors open at 7:00 AM, racing begins at 10:00 AM.
Any idea what type of 1/10 buggies race here? Just want to be consistent with the veterans. Losi 22, Serpent, b4 or 5? I'm in the pittsburgh area looking to come for the first time. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcnewbie418
Any idea what type of 1/10 buggies race here? Just want to be consistent with the veterans. Losi 22, Serpent, b4 or 5? I'm in the pittsburgh area looking to come for the first time. Thanks.
A vast majority of the mod 2wd buggies are B5M. There are also a few Mid Motor Losi 22 2.0. I can only think of one person wheeling a Serpent buggy at the moment.

Mod 4wd buggy is big at the moment as well. Many different types from B44.3, HB D413, XRay XB4 and Losi 22-4
Old 01-05-2015, 09:51 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Wease
A vast majority of the mod 2wd buggies are B5M. There are also a few Mid Motor Losi 22 2.0. I can only think of one person wheeling a Serpent buggy at the moment.

Mod 4wd buggy is big at the moment as well. Many different types from B44.3, HB D413, XRay XB4 and Losi 22-4
Thanks man. What would you recommend for a newbie on their tracks? 2wd or 4wd? i'm not new rc but new to racing. just don't want to embarrass myself..lol
Old 01-05-2015, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

Sorry another newbie question. 17.5t is stock and mod can be anything? What size motors do the mod guys/you run at Mcculloughs?
Old 01-05-2015, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Thanks man. What would you recommend for a newbie on their tracks? 2wd or 4wd? i'm not new rc but new to racing. just don't want to embarrass myself..lol
I would start with 2wd, it's a much bigger class that is more stable from week to week. The 4wd class has been huge, but it can come and go some weeks. Some would argue that 4wd is easier to drive than 2wd, but I think mod 4wd is a little tougher because they have so much power by comparison. Keep in mind the regulars there are FAST! Don't get discouraged, they only make you better. There are all skill levels of 2wd drivers there, so don't worry about embarrassing yourself.

Sorry another newbie question. 17.5t is stock and mod can be anything? What size motors do the mod guys/you run at Mcculloughs?
No one has run the stock class (i.e. 17.5) there in a while. It's all Mod 2wd now, which means you can run any motor you want. The faster guys are running 6.5 & 7.5 motors, but I would discourage that fast of a motor for newer 2wd drivers. The fast guys can run that because they have years of experience, but for newer drivers that just makes if harder to handle. I would suggest starting off with a 10.5 or 13.5 motor. Those motors are fast enough to win yet forgiving enough for newer drivers.

One other note that most new people to Mccullough's don't realize is that the tire to use there are slicks . . . Yes SLICKS! It's a damp clay track that makes gobs of traction and treaded tires usually don't work very well there. We take the softest tire compounds available (i.e. Pro-Line M4, JConcepts Green or Black, Hot Bodies Pink, etc.) and we grind off all the treads to make slicks. They will also use some traction sauce to treat the tires. The tire compound is the most important factor when making slicks. You can't take any old tire and make a slick out of it. If the compound isn't soft enough, it will be like running on ice.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:17 AM
Tech Regular

I would start with 2wd, it's a much bigger class that is more stable from week to week. The 4wd class has been huge, but it can come and go some weeks. Some would argue that 4wd is easier to drive than 2wd, but I think mod 4wd is a little tougher because they have so much power by comparison. Keep in mind the regulars there are FAST! Don't get discouraged, they only make you better. There are all skill levels of 2wd drivers there, so don't worry about embarrassing yourself.

No one has run the stock class (i.e. 17.5) there in a while. It's all Mod 2wd now, which means you can run any motor you want. The faster guys are running 6.5 & 7.5 motors, but I would discourage that fast of a motor for newer 2wd drivers. The fast guys can run that because they have years of experience, but for newer drivers that just makes if harder to handle. I would suggest starting off with a 10.5 or 13.5 motor. Those motors are fast enough to win yet forgiving enough for newer drivers.

One other note that most new people to Mccullough's don't realize is that the tire to use there are slicks . . . Yes SLICKS! It's a damp clay track that makes gobs of traction and treaded tires usually don't work very well there. We take the softest tire compounds available (i.e. Pro-Line M4, JConcepts Green or Black, Hot Bodies Pink, etc.) and we grind off all the treads to make slicks. They will also use some traction sauce to treat the tires. The tire compound is the most important factor when making slicks. You can't take any old tire and make a slick out of it. If the compound isn't soft enough, it will be like running on ice.
Great info Wease. Thanks so much for responding. I don't have race car yet. Been in the hobby about a year and understand the basics/brands pretty well, just no experience racing (i built one kit already - tamiya- fun, loved building a kit). I literally have 20 items in my ebay cart waiting to make a decision. I'm leaning towards the B5 or a Losi 22 (1.0 or 2.0). I've been doing tons of research and I did talk to one other guy who races at Mcculloughs. He said what you said on the tires for the indoor track. I live almost an hour away so it's tough to 'swing by'. I am about 30 minutes away on Thursday (from work) to come to the practice. I'm going to start with that. I didn't know that 17.5t was not that popular. I'll look at the 13.5t and stick with 2wd. What kind/brand of the traction sauce do you recommend? I'd like to have some vs. borrowing some..aha..
Old 01-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Tech Master

Great info Wease. Thanks so much for responding. I don't have race car yet. Been in the hobby about a year and understand the basics/brands pretty well, just no experience racing (i built one kit already - tamiya- fun, loved building a kit). I literally have 20 items in my ebay cart waiting to make a decision. I'm leaning towards the B5 or a Losi 22 (1.0 or 2.0). I've been doing tons of research and I did talk to one other guy who races at Mcculloughs. He said what you said on the tires for the indoor track. I live almost an hour away so it's tough to 'swing by'. I am about 30 minutes away on Thursday (from work) to come to the practice. I'm going to start with that. I didn't know that 17.5t was not that popular. I'll look at the 13.5t and stick with 2wd. What kind/brand of the traction sauce do you recommend? I'd like to have some vs. borrowing some..aha..
I'll admit I'm an associated guy, but all bias aside . . . 8 out of 10 people at McCullough's race B5Ms. So in terms of part support & set-up advice at the track, I think it is the better decision. If you break something on a B5M which is tough to do, someone at the track will have the part you need. Not to mention, I think the B5M kit is cheaper than the Losi 22 2.0.

There are a few proprietary traction sauces used at the track that really work, but if you want to show up with something before hand, I think the Trinity blue dot works pretty well.

Where do you live that McCullough's is an hour away?
Old 01-05-2015, 10:38 AM
Tech Regular

I'll admit I'm an associated guy, but all bias aside . . . 8 out of 10 people at McCullough's race B5Ms. So in terms of part support & set-up advice at the track, I think it is the better decision. If you break something on a B5M which is tough to do, someone at the track will have the part you need. Not to mention, I think the B5M kit is cheaper than the Losi 22 2.0.

There are a few proprietary traction sauces used at the track that really work, but if you want to show up with something before hand, I think the Trinity blue dot works pretty well.

Where do you live that McCullough's is an hour away?
Actually the B5 rear motor is what's in my ebay cart. Would the mid motor translate well to the outdoor track when the weather gets nice or do guys have one for each surface/season? 'Proprietary' sauces are always fun, kinda like moonshine. hehe

I live south of pittsburgh, but work in town. Mcculloughs from my house is probably 45 min to an hour?
Old 01-05-2015, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

Actually the B5 rear motor is what's in my ebay cart. Would the mid motor translate well to the outdoor track when the weather gets nice or do guys have one for each surface/season? 'Proprietary' sauces are always fun, kinda like moonshine. hehe

I live south of pittsburgh, but work in town. Mcculloughs from my house is probably 45 min to an hour?
We ran a pretty big outdoor Mod 2wd series this summer for the first time in years and every single car except for one was a mid motor! Mid motors were working very well outdoors and they're almost like cheating indoors. Get the mid-motor, it's here to stay! I can think on only 2 people out of the 25+ guys who run mod 2wd that still run rear motor.

If you have more questions, send me a PM and I'll give you my email address. I'm a regular at McCullough's for the past 7 years, so I can help you out with any question you have.

. . . Matt Williard
Old 01-05-2015, 10:58 AM
Tech Regular

We ran a pretty big outdoor Mod 2wd series this summer for the first time in years and every single car except for one was a mid motor! Mid motors were working very well outdoors and they're almost like cheating indoors. Get the mid-motor, it's here to stay! I can think on only 2 people out of the 25+ guys who run mod 2wd that still run rear motor.

If you have more questions, send me a PM and I'll give you my email address. I'm a regular at McCullough's for the past 7 years, so I can help you out with any question you have.

. . . Matt Williard
Thanks Matt. Let me get my car built (mid motor) and I'll message you. Again, thanks for the info. I feel much better about coming to the track as a newbie. Really excited about it..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.