Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Dromida MT4.18 servo burnt out >

Dromida MT4.18 servo burnt out

Dromida MT4.18 servo burnt out

Old 04-12-2017, 07:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Dromida MT4.18 servo burnt out

Hello, this is my first post on this site.

The only upgrades I have are the aluminum drive chain set (including spur gear) and a steel pinion gear (one more tooth than stock).

This all started when somehow the steering was kinda wonky. Like this without any input from the controller.

|----|
...|
...|
|----\

This was affecting the ability to steer. I took the steering rack apart to discover there was dirt in one of the holes the steering rack pin sits in (left side in front of the servo). I thought this must be from when I had waded through a creek a week ago. I had also lost the front left spring cup (I think that's what it's called) and this is what I originally causing the steering to be messed up. I ordered a new one off amazon. (Dromida BX MT SC 4.18 Long Shock (Set of 2) from Liquid RC, it included the cup and I'd get a few extra spare parts) This arrived last Monday and I put it back in place. This didn't fix it and the Dromida couldn't steer while on the ground. This is when I decided to take apart the steering rack. While cleaning out the little hole did fix the alignment issue, the truck couldn't steer anymore, even when suspended in the air. There was also a buzzing noise from the servo. While I tried to figure out why this was, I notice some smoke. I traced the smoke to a small blister on the servo's casing and smelt burning plastic. One I found this, I turned the dromida off.

Can any of you guys help me figure out what caused this? The dromida has been good up until now. the only problems I've had have been a striped plastic spur gear and brass pinion. (And a stuck dif, but it only needed oil on the inside, olive oil works well if you don't have hobby oil.)
Old 06-28-2017, 11:28 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The stock servos are garbage, both my son and my cars stripped the stock servo in the first few packs. I had used some of these in the none metal gear version in some foamy planes and they were not terrible so I decided to run the version shown and even without using a servo saver they have held up really well.

Cheers,
Jim