Wiki Posts
Search

New losi M8T. Couple questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 04:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default New losi M8T. Couple questions.

Just got it today. i have a mini revo vxl, and this thing is so much more fun. I haven't driven my mini redo for over a year, my kids use it a lot though. This little 8ight just handles so well. I might have to go get the buggy so I have a pair! Just so much fun and it is so similar to my 1/8 Losi truggy I used to have.

Questions:
1. Cogging. Wow, the driveline makes a crap ton of noise. I'm going to disassemble the diffs tonight and see what is in there. I'm sure they are miniature versions of my xxl2e and full size 8. Shimming diffs usually prolongs the life of the diff, but doesn't change drive line noise. So do you just live with the cogging and noise or are there some tricks? My 15 pound xxl2e on 5s doesn't make this much noise
2. I ran a duratrax 1600mah 20C 2S. Plenty of power, loved the speed, the torque was great. But my motor was pretty hot. Very hot the the touch. I don't remember my mini Revo vilenium getting this hot, on the same batteries. Smallest motor I have ever owned, maybe it's supposed to get this hot?.

I have 50c batteries ordered, maybe that might help with heat. Anyone make a heat sink?

Overall I'm in love, this platform is awesome. Looking forward to learning from you all.
Thanks,
Trout
Old 03-25-2016, 05:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well just read gearing in the manual, I should have changed the pinion to a 12 tooth, maybe that will cool the motor a bit, I'll pick one up tomorrow at LHS. Now just need to figure out this terrible cogging.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

The m8T is known for its cogging, and there are several things you can do...

1. Replace the motor:
the m8t has a 280 sized motor, but it is 14th scale. Many people use the velineon 380 in these trucks, because it is 380. So, needless to say, the cogging is mostly because of a small motor in a big car. BIG mistake Losi. The velineon should solve most of your problems and since it is in a car that isn't used very often (it sounds like) it will be perfect. You can also swap the ESC of you want. There are many vids on YouTube about modifications needed for it to fit. Check out the RcNetwork's upgrade series. It is very well done and loaded with good information.

2. Gear down:
This one is self explanatory, and it looks like you were planning to do so in the first place. I would also check that your driveshafts and bearings are lubed.

3. Live it up...
When companies like Losi make their RTRs perform like this straight out of the box, many of the Byers tend to think that this was the way the car was meant to run. As mentioned earlier, the m8t's stock setup is a huge mistake by Losi. When an rtr is released, it better be ready to take the abuse that first time drivers will throw at it in stride.

4. Change wheels and tires:
Look at fronts instead of rears... Or anything smaller/lighter...

Hope it helps...
Have questions? Just ask.

Thanks,
RC13