Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Road Rage vs Dirt Hawg for a MERV on the Street

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

Default Road Rage vs Dirt Hawg for a MERV on the Street

I'm looking at some more "Street" tires for my Basher MERV. I want more grip for wheelies on Pavement than the stock wheels provide. Stock are okay when the pavement is hot but horrid when its not.

Not really a huge world of choice, I've narrowed it down to Road Rage & Dirt Hawgs. The Road Rage seem obvious but the Dirt Hawgs name doesn't suggest "Street" but they honestly look more Street then Dirt, & from what I hear they do well on the Street so here I am.

I'm looking at the 2 either on Desperados or Titus Beadlocks.

The Titus look better but that metal beadlock is heavy. The truck has a SV3 & 4 pole 2850 4450kv motor & Twin MA 3s batteries in Parallel, I'm hoping the weight won't be an issue I'm usually 105 ESC & 135 Motor bashing and speed running with the SV3 & Velineon, new motors still in shipping.

I want more wheelie grip and less wheel spin. Anybody have experience with the 2? Do you think the extra weight of the Titus will be a big deal?
Old 12-30-2015, 06:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

I don't know whether it will be a "big deal" for your setup but one thing I am sure of: the additional weight of the Titus will make wheelies easier.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ta_man
I don't know whether it will be a "big deal" for your setup but one thing I am sure of: the additional weight of the Titus will make wheelies easier.
Thanks for the input. In the end I opted for RPM revolver 2.2 Crawler Wide Stance rims with Road Rage 2.2 Buggy Editions. I have a set of reverse nuts to mount the wheels, should add an inch or so to the overall stance, lil bit higher stance ought to shift up the CG a bit to help wheelies.

Unfortunately tho Montreal got blanketed with Snow and there is no grip on snow, slush & ice. So I got to wait for things to clear up a bit.

I also have a Proline SV Raptor lid on the way I hope goes well with the new wheels and tires.

At these temps and conditions I realize Road Rage or Dirt Hawgs don't matter, Badlands would probably be the best, but hard to say. I might just have to make due with the Talons till summer lets me run the Road Rage right.

What do people use in these terrible conditions?

Last edited by Rac3rX; 12-31-2015 at 04:58 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

Got the RPM Revolver Crawler Wheels and Proline Road Rage Buggy tires in today.

I Gorilla tape Belted them, did a tripple breather hole set up on the wheels and mounted them up.

I didn't receive the SV Raptor lid yet, but should be in next week. That should complete the new look with the new wheels & tires.

Nice wide stance, larger OD, deep dish and just look sick. I still need my special nuts to mount them up right, hopefully they come early next week. I can mount them but wouldn't be smart to run the kit with the lug nuts only holding by a thread. The wheels are made for crawlers with a much longer axle to thread onto. The nuts I ordered are reversed and sink the nut over the axle when all tight it will all spin as one, the wheel will sit on the nut kinda.