Losi Micro SCT Brushless Cogging?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi Micro SCT Brushless Cogging?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 09:35 PM
Tech Adept

Default Losi Micro SCT Brushless Cogging?

I bought a Losi Micro SCT with the integrated 2.4 GHz + Brushless combo and love it. Great package, great performance, great appearance. The only thing I don't like is the cogging the brushless system exhibits. I've been around sensorless Mamba systems (when the 5400 system first came out, and the micro-sized Mamba 25 for a Micro RS4), a Tekin RX-8 powered E-Maxx, and a stock Losi Mini 8ight, so modest cogging doesn't faze me, but sometimes the Micro SCT just buzzes and sits there until I release throttle and punch it. Other times it just feels rough, cogging at low speed until it speeds up to smooth out.

Would moving to a dedicated brushless ESC clean things up, perhaps an Xcelorin ESC or an Ezrun 18a? My entire driveline is free, mesh is spot-on, suspension is perfect, and the chassis is true; I appreciate what a great package this tiny truck is - I'm just wondering if this is just part of the deal or if dedicated hardware can clean up the performance.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The best way to get away from the cogging would be a lower kv motor. The 1/24 awd platforms doesn't really like high kv motors. A better esc will help some but staying under 6500kv is the best bet. Im running a feigao 5800kv motor with a 1/36 xcelorin esc (esc is temporary) and cogging is at a minimum but lacks the torque to wheelie (this is on the truggy and truggy tires are way bigger than sct.)

A 18a esc isn't absolutely needed. There is a 10a option as well that I will be using once I have a new soldering iron.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

buy a mamba micro esc---problem solved. u get what u pay for on esc's. built a micro sct--loaded it-cf chassis,truggy wheels and body, neu motor and bougth a cheapo esc--x10a. it caused NOTHING but problems with cogging.it made me nuts. even tried the program card thing--nada! then the mamba (50.00 later) --PERFECT! figure the cheapo stuff ur going to spend 20-30, for the one that works 50.00. spend the extra cash-dont look back(i know its exspensive)-- and have some fun laughing at the other guys truck that sits and sputters doing the jerky dance. just my 2 cents.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:24 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys. I'm looking to get an M11x in the next few months and will convert the electronics to include a Mamba Micro system when I get a micro receiver from Airtronics. The SCT is great fun but I wouldn't mind smoothing it out a bit.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:04 PM
Tech Rookie

For better steering linkages you can use duct tape on them (A few layers) then poke holes for the screws.