Search

mini 8ight shock discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default mini 8ight shock discussion

so who makes shocks that we could mount up to the mini 8ight
im thinking some other companys big bores may work but not sure yet any thoughts or feedback would be great
Old 01-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rustlererad3
so who makes shocks that we could mount up to the mini 8ight
im thinking some other companys big bores may work but not sure yet any thoughts or feedback would be great
we already know that the Jammin SCRT10 front shocks will work front and rear on the mini 8ight. I really do think that the losi 22 buggy front will work on the front and rear of the mini 8ight as well. It would be nice if someone who has a 22 buggy could confirm for us.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Tech Addict

I just bought ti nitride shafts for the stock shocks. I did not think they were bad?

Am I mistaken?

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Tech Master

I want big bore style shocks for the buggy and I did not knew that I will investigate
Old 01-20-2013, 11:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The stock shocks are fine and more than adequate and the correct lengths. They also don't seem to leak.
You would be better off spending a few hours tuning your shocks for where you run or what you do and learning what you have to work with already. Big bores would be a waist of money for the mini 8 imo and I buy everything for mine. If you buy a set of aftermaket shocks you will need to do all tuning to even achive as good of setup as what the buggy comes with stock. That means selecting the right springs, pistons, fluid and mounting etc... you might get lucky the first time, but I doubt it.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Does anyone know of where, or who makes pistons for these cars, I would like to play with different options as far as pistons go
Old 01-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

hmmm all right maybe i will go to the nitride shafts and build em up and get proline shock caps and build stock shocks that have plenty of bounce absorption
Old 01-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

I got these a long time ago. Ive been drilling my own pistons for a long time. There are other brands available, if you search drills. Almost all the fast guys re work their shocks because there is no one scenario fits all, in these rtr days most people dont even think about it. Your on your way. Make a log of F/R fluids and piston hole sizes and how you felt the car drove with each setup. I do this because its hard to remember the details later.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ston-Drill-Set
Old 01-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jstall7543
I got these a long time ago. Ive been drilling my own pistons for a long time. There are other brands available, if you search drills. Almost all the fast guys re work their shocks because there is no one scenario fits all, in these rtr days most people dont even think about it. Your on your way. Make a log of F/R fluids and piston hole sizes and how you felt the car drove with each setup. I do this because its hard to remember the details later.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ston-Drill-Set
Yeah i've drilled pistons a few times. I am more curious as to if anyone knows of other brand car's pistons working, for example like AE b4.1 Biggest reason is RPM makes tapered 2 stage pistons, that I personally like a lot, just not too sure if they'll fit.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

I know a guy that put some kyosho pistons in but you need to flat sand them to get them on the shafts. Im not sure what pistons they were but I'll try to find out next time I see him. I think reduced the dia also. I'll get back to ya.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Tech Master

this sounds interesting
Old 01-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

I posted the information below in the huge LM8 thread but I am sure it will never be seen so I am also copying it here:

The Losi springs are really terrible. They vary from side to side and front to back A LOT. They measured all over the place as far as rates. Quality control seems to be a big issue when it comes to their springs. Good news is Kyosho Mini Inferno (Half Eight) springs are a direct fit and work awesome!! Almost all the guys that race locally are using them as am I. I didn't figure this out on my own - much smarter folks than me did and I am just relaying the info. I did some measuring to see the differences in the coil springs available for the Mini8 and my findings are below:
Spring.............................# Coils....Coil Dia.......Length........Bind......Ounce/Inch
Losi Stock Front (Black).........7.........0.047.........1.24...... .....0.39.........80
Losi Stock Back (Silver).........7 .........0.043.........1.52..........0.36......... 59
Losi Soft Front (Silver)...........7.........0.039.........1.24... ........0.31.........45
Losi Soft Back (Silver)............9.........0.039.........1.6... .........0.39.........35
Kyosho Stiff Front (White)......9.........0.048.........1.45......... ..0.5...........64
Kyosho Stiff Back (White).......9.........0.048.........1.67........ ...0.5...........65
Kyosho Medium Front (Blue)...11.......0.048.........1.45...........0.6 1.........54
Kyosho Medium Back (Blue)...11........0.048.........1.67...........0. 61.........53
Kyosho Soft Front (Red).........13 ......0.048.........1.45...........0.72.........43
Kyosho Soft Back (Red)..........13.......0.048.........1.67........ ..0.72..........45

Formatting really stinks so I tried make it somewhat readable

The Kyosho springs are not cheap but can be found all over the net. You can go to Ebay and search for "mini inferno spring" and all sorts of auctions will pop up. The Kyosho spring part numbers for thier kit is IHW15-1 (rear) and IHW14-1 (front). Atomic and 3Racing also make springs that will fit.

Personally - I drilled out my shock pistons slightly larger than stock and run 17.5 oil in both the front and rear. I'm running the red springs in the front and blue in the rear but change them from time to time depending on track conditions. I still have a lot to learn and there is a definite learning curve. The springs do make a huge difference though...
Old 01-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Tech Master

thanks man thats some good information now we are making some progress here
Old 01-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BigLosiNut
I posted the information below in the huge LM8 thread but I am sure it will never be seen so I am also copying it here:

The Losi springs are really terrible. They vary from side to side and front to back A LOT. They measured all over the place as far as rates. Quality control seems to be a big issue when it comes to their springs. Good news is Kyosho Mini Inferno (Half Eight) springs are a direct fit and work awesome!! Almost all the guys that race locally are using them as am I. I didn't figure this out on my own - much smarter folks than me did and I am just relaying the info. I did some measuring to see the differences in the coil springs available for the Mini8 and my findings are below:
Spring.............................# Coils....Coil Dia.......Length........Bind......Ounce/Inch
Losi Stock Front (Black).........7.........0.047.........1.24...... .....0.39.........80
Losi Stock Back (Silver).........7 .........0.043.........1.52..........0.36......... 59
Losi Soft Front (Silver)...........7.........0.039.........1.24... ........0.31.........45
Losi Soft Back (Silver)............9.........0.039.........1.6... .........0.39.........35
Kyosho Stiff Front (White)......9.........0.048.........1.45......... ..0.5...........64
Kyosho Stiff Back (White).......9.........0.048.........1.67........ ...0.5...........65
Kyosho Medium Front (Blue)...11.......0.048.........1.45...........0.6 1.........54
Kyosho Medium Back (Blue)...11........0.048.........1.67...........0. 61.........53
Kyosho Soft Front (Red).........13 ......0.048.........1.45...........0.72.........43
Kyosho Soft Back (Red)..........13.......0.048.........1.67........ ..0.72..........45

Formatting really stinks so I tried make it somewhat readable

The Kyosho springs are not cheap but can be found all over the net. You can go to Ebay and search for "mini inferno spring" and all sorts of auctions will pop up. The Kyosho spring part numbers for thier kit is IHW15-1 (rear) and IHW14-1 (front). Atomic and 3Racing also make springs that will fit.

Personally - I drilled out my shock pistons slightly larger than stock and run 17.5 oil in both the front and rear. I'm running the red springs in the front and blue in the rear but change them from time to time depending on track conditions. I still have a lot to learn and there is a definite learning curve. The springs do make a huge difference though...
This is what I like to see...Great Information. I wonder if anyone here has used the Hot Racing Progressive springs? What are your thoughts on these springs?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by GrimReminder
This is what I like to see...Great Information. I wonder if anyone here has used the Hot Racing Progressive springs? What are your thoughts on these springs?
I did test some progressive springs but they are kind of hard to quantify as far as spring pressures. I know there were a few folks who tried them but everbody eventually moved on to other spring options. I also tested some other springs but I'll have to ask the guy what kind they are before I post the information.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.