Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Losi Mini 8ight ESC & Motor Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Preston777
I swapped in the 0808 5300 about a month ago. running the stock ESC on a 2300 2s. I swapped the spur down to a 60 tooth and the car still loves to wheelie all the time. I am very pleased with the 5300 on 2s and quite impressed at the torque. it isnt so fast that it is uncontrollable like the stock motor on 3s which I was also running but it is still way faster than stock and doesnt cog at all now like the stock motor did.
If you guys want the pic I can post it up
This is very good to know. If my Novak experiment doesn't work out I will be purchasing a 5300 0808. I was reluctant to try it, the Castle tech said they haven't had any good weather back there - they are still waiting to test the Mini 8ight with the 4100 and 5300 motors. I have always liked Novak stuff in my 1/10 cars so I thought I would try that first.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by srootster
very interested in your results so please keep me posted. the Novak does look intriguing.
Will do. My motor and pinion gears arrived today from Novak (they ship fast!!), so I am waiting on the esc and motor screws to arrive now.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i'd love to see pics. dumb question, but i'm new to this mini do bear with me. does the stock spur fit the 0808? if not, what does?

i'm intrigued by the $8 outrunner but unsure on the ESC and batteries required. i have a ton of 2S batteries that i'd hate to not use. not sure if the outrunner would require 3S or better to be effective or not.
outrunner motors will not work on cars, they are designed for heli's and planes. the outside case of the motor actually turns with the shaft.
I got the 0808 for 40 bucks and it is a great little motor on 2s and yes it can be run with the stock gears. I just changed out the spur because mine got all chewed up from pebbles.
its like 6 bucks from losi and you get a 3 pack of different spurs.
here are 2 pics of it. nothing fancy done to it but as you can see the motor fits nicely.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

thx for the pics! what a great fit. i took the plunge and bought the mini mamba / 5300kv package off the bay today. i really only needed a new esc but what the heck. let's play! i also bought the $8 outrunner and will try it with my sidewinder 3 out of one of my trucks and see which i prefer. i'd also like to buy a 3S battery or two just for kicks but can never find one that fits in stock.

i love this little buggy!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by StadiumRC
Will do. My motor and pinion gears arrived today from Novak (they ship fast!!), so I am waiting on the esc and motor screws to arrive now.

so close yet so far away! i HATE waiting for the mail man!

can't wait for a report.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Tech Adept

thx for the pics! what a great fit. i took the plunge and bought the mini mamba / 5300kv package off the bay today. i really only needed a new esc but what the heck. let's play! i also bought the $8 outrunner and will try it with my sidewinder 3 out of one of my trucks and see which i prefer. i'd also like to buy a 3S battery or two just for kicks but can never find one that fits in stock.

i love this little buggy!!!
I use a 1400mah 3s and it fits in stock. my big 2s i had to mod though and thats the reason I use the straps.
you will love that package with the mamba and 0808.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Tech Adept

i said spur but meant pinion. what size is the stock mini 8ight motor shaft? the 0808 is 2mm. my calipers are at work or i'd just check for myself. DOH!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:29 PM
Tech Adept

i said spur but meant pinion. what size is the stock mini 8ight motor shaft? the 0808 is 2mm. my calipers are at work or i'd just check for myself. DOH!
stock pinion works fine.
you do have to get new screws for the motor to bolt to the mount. 2.5 screws i believe.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 551 (100%+)

outrunner motors will not work on cars, they are designed for heli's and planes. the outside case of the motor actually turns with the shaft.
Outrunner motors work fine in cars. I run the $8 HK motor in my M8 and it is awesome. Not sure where you get the idea that outrunners will not work in cars.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

^yep. The user just has to be aware of the spinning outer can and route wires and triple check chassis clearance before running but they will work nicely with the proper esc for the added poles and the esc switching rpm limit.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:09 AM
Tech Adept

stock pinion works fine.
you do have to get new screws for the motor to bolt to the mount. 2.5 screws i believe.
PERFECT! i appreciate the info
Old 05-31-2013, 06:11 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by meno1103
^yep. The user just has to be aware of the spinning outer can and route wires and triple check chassis clearance before running but they will work nicely with the proper esc for the added poles and the esc switching rpm limit.
any idea if the mamba micro pro ESC will run the HK outrunner to it's potential? i prefer it's size over a 1/10 scale ESC as i'm trying to keep this little buggy as light as possible. does the outrunner perform well on a good 2S battery or does it only shine on 3S?
Old 05-31-2013, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 551 (100%+)

any idea if the mamba micro pro ESC will run the HK outrunner to it's potential? i prefer it's size over a 1/10 scale ESC as i'm trying to keep this little buggy as light as possible. does the outrunner perform well on a good 2S battery or does it only shine on 3S?
I run the Micro Pro, not sure if it gives the motor the full potential or not. I just run on a small track and it works fine so far. I run 3s and it is about perfect, slower than stock on 3s but faster than stock on 2s. Hope that helps. I haven't messed with any settings on the esc yet, but may do that soon (punch control and such).
Old 05-31-2013, 10:13 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wrightcs77
I run the Micro Pro, not sure if it gives the motor the full potential or not. I just run on a small track and it works fine so far. I run 3s and it is about perfect, slower than stock on 3s but faster than stock on 2s. Hope that helps. I haven't messed with any settings on the esc yet, but may do that soon (punch control and such).

exactly the info i was looking for. keep me (us) posted when you get around to playing with your ESC settings. i'm not looking to go 60+mph. i just want a nice, light package that runs cool and requires driving skill to keep it on four wheels. i like going a little overkill on power, but way too much power in a car this size just doesn't seem like much fun to me. i hope my new setup shows up tomorrow!

thanks for your response
Old 06-04-2013, 11:29 PM
Tech Regular

I got the 0808 for 40 bucks and it is a great little motor on 2s and yes it can be run with the stock gears. I just changed out the spur because mine got all chewed up from pebbles.
its like 6 bucks from losi and you get a 3 pack of different spurs.
here are 2 pics of it. nothing fancy done to it but as you can see the motor fits nicely.

So how is your 0808 running? I have been trying to get the Novak to fit but have run into some annoying issues. I could probably make it work but I am frustrated now so I may take the easy way out and go with Castle. I would like to get this thing finished soon, it keeps turning into wild goose chase. I know the Castle will fit with no fuss, so I am thinking about going that route now since I already have an extra Mamba Micro Pro. Anyone running the 5300 0808 on 3s? I might order an 0808 from Castle tonight. Oh, and how is the top speed on 2s? Faster than stock? Will it top 35mph?? Not looking to break speed records, but I would like it to be quick and snappy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.