Wiki Posts
Search

rc18r please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default rc18r please help

rc18r brand new......maybe tenpacks through.....diffs started buzzing like helicopter......any suggestions.....already disassembled and found no pebbles or anything of the like.........love the car....hate the new noise
Old 11-22-2011, 04:59 AM
Tech Adept

Default any ideas

any ideas......diffs shot? should i replace with GPM aluminum and Delrin diff from the toyz?
Old 11-22-2011, 05:31 AM
Tech Master

Default diff

The diffs are known to go up in the rallys. I would get the rebuild and also check the Gear on the drive shaft. Sometimes that goes out.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Tech Regular

Default diffs

efarrell....
You may also want or need to add a shim or two so the gears have good side to side, smooth mesh, but not too tight. I found that the tolerances (even a new kit) can be a little off and with that said, sometimes there is a little too much side to side play, resulting in a slightly loose mesh condition. Even though it's not mentioned in the kit's directions, or really not needed, I like to put a very small amount of Assoc. diff lube on the diff gears. Just enough to make them a little smoother sounding. Just one of my little pet peaves. There is no need to purchase any after market hop-ups for your diffs...... the stock Assoc. diffs are very well made and work real well. Hope this helps you out.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Tech Adept

Default thanks and quick question

Originally Posted by all4fun
efarrell....
You may also want or need to add a shim or two so the gears have good side to side, smooth mesh, but not too tight. I found that the tolerances (even a new kit) can be a little off and with that said, sometimes there is a little too much side to side play, resulting in a slightly loose mesh condition. Even though it's not mentioned in the kit's directions, or really not needed, I like to put a very small amount of Assoc. diff lube on the diff gears. Just enough to make them a little smoother sounding. Just one of my little pet peaves. There is no need to purchase any after market hop-ups for your diffs...... the stock Assoc. diffs are very well made and work real well. Hope this helps you out.
are they good enough to handle 2S lipo and possibly brushless someday?

do you have part number for the shims
Old 11-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by efarrell
rc18r brand new......maybe tenpacks through.....diffs started buzzing like helicopter......any suggestions.....already disassembled and found no pebbles or anything of the like.........love the car....hate the new noise
Are ya sure it's the diffs and not a good bit o gunk stuffed up in your spur?
Old 11-22-2011, 04:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dieselpower
Are ya sure it's the diffs and not a good bit o gunk stuffed up in your spur?
positive....both front and ack make same noise.....can't believe it....speur is clean as can be