Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question for the brushless pro's.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)
Default Question for the brushless pro's.

I have been racing at the local track with my Propulse.

It is completely stock with a late modified body on it. I have done very well with the stock brushed motors.

I wanted a mild brushless setup for the simple fact of not having to replace motors every other race and I got this.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezrun-25a-...or-rc-car.html

http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m254-2030-4300kv-21t.html

Is this about what the stock super 370 ( or high speed motor from megatech ) would run?

Not wanting something that is that fast, but wanted to be about the same.

I am running 2s lipo.

Thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

21t, yeah, maybe. Did you already order it? If you didnt I would think about getting like a 17.5t motor or something similar for it. It would give you more speed and a less torque. If you are running plastic dogbones, the torque from a 21t motor might snap those like a toothpick
Old 11-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The 4300kv should be a good choice for keeping it about stock speeds, but if you have good batteries your acceleration will improve, as well as runtime too. We have found that most clubs recommend about 4000-4500kv to race against stock brushed motors(Castle 4200 is a popular choice), but the brushless cars almost always dominate in acceleration. We dropped our rules to a max of 3500kv, which requires a larger pinion to acheive the same top speed, but it makes for better competition everywhere else on the track because the total power output is more equal. In any case I recommend you pick up a few extra pinions to adjust as needed.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by burnineyes
The 4300kv should be a good choice for keeping it about stock speeds, but if you have good batteries your acceleration will improve, as well as runtime too. We have found that most clubs recommend about 4000-4500kv to race against stock brushed motors(Castle 4200 is a popular choice), but the brushless cars almost always dominate in acceleration. We dropped our rules to a max of 3500kv, which requires a larger pinion to acheive the same top speed, but it makes for better competition everywhere else on the track because the total power output is more equal. In any case I recommend you pick up a few extra pinions to adjust as needed.
Thank you burningeye's, I was hoping you would chime in, I am still running stock diffs, and plastic dogbones, and like I said not wating anything faster, just something that runs cool and lasts a long time,. I plan on keeping the stock pinion and spur 54/13 on this setup.

The car is set up great, as I won the last race. I learned along time ago that the fastest motor does not win. I wanted to keep it stock, so I am hoping that this does the trick.

Here is a pic of the race winning photo.

I almost got the 3900kv, but wanted the same speed I was getting from my stock motors.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gray-S...62487583791627
also here is the race track we run on. your help is always appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Question for the brushless pro's.-376961_284836284890090_262487583791627_916850_312249309_n.jpg  
Old 11-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

To keep it as close as possible without changing gearing you probably made the right choice with the 4300kv. With lipo batteries you will get a significant increase in punch and acceleration over the brushed setup, but at least you can tone it down with the ESC settings if you start to worry about the driveline holding up.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

+1 to that, I dont know much about bl for smaller cars or what the motors in them are rated. Guess I better read up since I want to get an hpi mini recon (total copy of the propulse)