Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rc18 offroad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 03:28 PM
Tech Adept

Default Rc18 offroad?

I'm trying to get into mini's and I'm wondering the RC18 performs offroad. I'm thinking like grass or sand. The one I'm looking at is brushless and I would run with either 2s or 3s lipos.
Also how durable is the truck?
Thanks for your insight.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Are you looking at getting the first gem or second gen (shaft or belt driven)? I have an rc18t1 and it does pretty good on light off road. In grass the tend to get kinda fought up if it's too long and they're not going to be able to go everywhere a 1/10 scale truck can but for their size they can do quite a bit and it's really nice for traveling. I have a rc18t clone that almost never leaves my car and you can hardly even tell it's there cuz it takes up so little space. Jus get some rpm arms and towers and TheToyz steel diff gears and you can run it forever.
Hope this helps
Shea
Old 08-31-2011, 09:18 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the help, yes the one I am looking at getting started life as a rc18mt and is now in buggy form with a brushless system. So shaft driven.
One other thing is how durable are they for jumping? I don't really want one for anything but bashing.
Thanks again
Old 08-31-2011, 09:20 PM
Tech Adept

One more thing. Does sand wreck the electronics? Because I want to take this to a big sandpit to bash.
Thanks for any insight
Old 09-02-2011, 04:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

For the shaft-driven RC18s, Driven Productions makes a gear cover that keeps stuff out of the pinion/spur... you'll want that for driving in the sand.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Tech Adept

Okay thanks everybody
Old 09-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Tech Initiate

The only thing I've broken on mine is the front toe link that is integrated into the bumper. I just got an aluminum bumper and that fixed it. Just make sure that if you go aluminum you stay away from Integy and keep the bumper small. The bigger it is the more leverage there is to break it in a crash. A lot of people also use the rpm bumper which protects the whole front of the car in a crash. I don't know how well it fixes the problem of the hinge pins roping out of the toe link though and it's kinda big... But other than that they're pretty durrable.
Some things you'll want:
-Driven Productions (DP) drag link (fixes steering slop)
-DP gear cover
-RPM a arms
-RPM bashed bumper or small aluminum bumper
-TheToyz steel diff gears

That should be it as far as things you'll want right away. After that just upgrade whatever breaks.
Hope that helps
Shea

Btw have fun with your new kit! The gen1 rc18 series cars are tons of fun!!
Old 09-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Any suggestions on where to purchuse?