Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
HELP!!!  How is the exotek rc18R converstion to make it a 1/14 tc compair to recoil? >

HELP!!! How is the exotek rc18R converstion to make it a 1/14 tc compair to recoil?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP!!! How is the exotek rc18R converstion to make it a 1/14 tc compair to recoil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Tech Regular

Default HELP!!! How is the exotek rc18R converstion to make it a 1/14 tc compair to recoil?

hey guys how does anyone have any experince with the exotek converstion to make the ae 18r and 1/14 tc and compete against the recoils? or is there any other compairable 1/14?
Old 08-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I dont have the Exotek R14 conversion, but I do have a custom RC18 that is the same wheelbase and a Recoil, and I have raced against the R14 before with both my Recoil and stretched RC18. In my opinion the R14 is an awesome conversion, but it will not compete with a Recoil on a smooth track and comparable drivers. When things get a little bumpy I think the R14 has an advantage because of the suspension travel and slightly wider stance. The Recoil's narrow width, narrow tires and limited suspension travel really shine when you are on a smooth, fast track. If you are racing against Recoils on a smooth outdoor or carpet track I would suggest the Carisma GT14. The GT14 is the same car as a Recoil, just sold under a different brand name, all parts are interchangeable. Horizon Hobby has recently started carrying the Carisma line since Sportwerks was discontinued, so I am not sure how good the parts support is yet. But you can still find many of the Recoil parts at other places like AMainHobbies.com or Ebay at lower costs than Carisma parts, even though they are the same thing. If you buy Carisma parts beware that they also have a M14 and F14 which are 2wd and not compatible. This is all not to say you should not consider the Exotek conversion because it is a really nice setup and could be better for you, it just depends on what kind of track you race on in my opinion.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Tech Regular

i will be racing on a low to med track carpet track with bumps and not alot of striaghts. what tires do you use for but (foams) also whats brushless system works...i have a bunch of tking rs, might be a little to much,, also what battery.. i like the exotech converstion just because theshocksystem seems like the recoil shocks arent that good with only 1 spring/yellow right you can use? also seen alot of people break the front arm mounts alot.. or is theres upgrade.. im new to 1/14 pleas help
Old 08-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Having had a Recoil, and the Exotek R14 conversion, the R14 is INFINITELY better. Hands down.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

I disagree, I think both cars have their own positives and negatives. But for a track with bumps I dont think there would be a better car than the Exotek. Just remember that it is a conversion rather than a new car. You will still have crummy stock Associated shocks, dogbones, non-adjustable camber links, etc. Unless you already have a 18R with all of the upgrades, you will be spending alot extra on quality parts.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by burnineyes
I disagree, I think both cars have their own positives and negatives. But for a track with bumps I dont think there would be a better car than the Exotek. Just remember that it is a conversion rather than a new car. You will still have crummy stock Associated shocks, dogbones, non-adjustable camber links, etc. Unless you already have a 18R with all of the upgrades, you will be spending alot extra on quality parts.
I did have those things, but that doesnt change the physical things on the R14 that make it better.. Different geometry, better steering rack setup, wider front tires, better shocks (The recoil shocks have so much piston blow by it was ridiculous. Id much rather deal with the preload spacers and have proper shock action). And unless your buying a Spashett edition recoil, your still going to be spending that same $$ on threaded shocks, CVDs, CF chassis (that isnt a CF chassis unless you get the Exotek one), ball diffs, etc that dont come with that Carisma RTR you posted.

Besides that its faster, it also doesnt fall apart when you look at a board wrong. Anyone whos raced a recoil knows about the hingepins popping out. RCMadness had some Alu. mounts made that stopped that, but then you broke c hubs left and right instead. And then you move on to the drivetrain, where if you run anything faster than the stock motor you have to mod the slipper clutch out of it (slipper in a onroad car? but i digress..), and then once you do buy the ball diffs, you have to replace the diff balls straight away cause apparently they thought square ones would be good, and then once you get them into the car, the outdrives are done in a few weekends because the aluminum outdrives are so soft the steel pin on the dogbone notches the outdrive up.

I had a lot of time in my Recoil before I got an R14. The R14 is just plain better, you can take that to the bank.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

I agree, I just thought infinitely screamed a little loud. Personally I dont have to many issues with my Recoil; like any car it had its weak points, but I think its pretty solid with the usual upgrades or else I would never recommend it. Exotek improves on an already great car with the RC18R to R14 conversion, but it is far from perfect.
In any case, my judgement is not based on durability alone, but rather with performance on the tracks where I frequent. The Carisma has more adjustments along with different geometry, which does not necessarily equal faster, but different.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:16 PM
Tech Champion

I agree, I just thought infinitely screamed a little loud. Personally I dont have to many issues with my Recoil; like any car it had its weak points, but I think its pretty solid with the usual upgrades or else I would never recommend it. Exotek improves on an already great car with the RC18R to R14 conversion, but it is far from perfect.
In any case, my judgement is not based on durability alone, but rather with performance on the tracks where I frequent. The Carisma has more adjustments along with different geometry, which does not necessarily equal faster, but different.
Im pretty sure infinitely is the proper term. Yes, you can get a recoil around the track okay and it feels fine to drive, but the R14 is faster. The recoil always feels bound up in comparison; the R14 just flat out goes. Its like going from a TC5 to a TC6 if your familiar with 1/10 sedan. You can make a 5 fine to drive, but the 6 is just that much better, in any conditions. The only thing I can say is drive one and you will understand. My experiences come from racing not just all the time at my local track(s), but at the highest level at ECC's and Micro Nats... I feel very confident the R14 is that much better.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Maybe its the carbon fiber that makes the R14 faster. If you are unable to keep the Recoil from being bound up, I can see the frustration.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Tech Regular

o yeah i def will be build it righ with all the aftermarket parts... prob will just buy pieces instead of a kit and then the upgrade..
Old 08-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Tech Champion

Maybe its the carbon fiber that makes the R14 faster. If you are unable to keep the Recoil from being bound up, I can see the frustration.
Not literal binding as in something on the car, but its just how cars feel when they drive okay but dont go as fast as other cars..

The main differences in the cars are: Wider front tires, The steering rack, and quality

Tires: The wider front tire gives you more cornering ability without abusing the tire on small technical tracks. If you follow ALMS at all, when Acura released their LMP1 car, it was the first LMP1 car that had the same size F/R tires. This was to give increased steering and better tire wear on the smaller technical tracks we see in the US (but on a long wide open track like Mosport the car struggled to get heat in the front tires). The tracks we race R/C on are SUPER tight and technical in reality (especially indoors), so naturally the wider tires are better. I played with trying to put rears on the front of the recoil but it isnt feasible unless you space the wheels out so the dont hit the front suspension, and then you have a super wide front track, which isnt good.

Steering: If you look at the progression of 1/10 sedans, one of the main changes in the car is in the steering racks. In particular, the Tamiya 414 (new in '03-'04) has a steering setup similar to the Recoil, and the R14's (and all exotek's), is like the AE TC6 (new in '10). The difference is the car uses the front tires more effectively, and makes the car smoother to drive.

Quality: I already commented on the parts quality before, its not good to put it nicely. You also see this in other areas. The AE drivetrain is way lighter than the recoil's, and the whole car as well. The faux CF chassis flex wise is fine, but it weighs a ton (even with the exotek on my car it was still portly). The car has the suspension block problem. It has the stupid proprietary wheel mounts. The shocks stink. Relatively, its just not as good of a car by design, its as simple as that, and it shows on the track.