Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new to rc wondering about lipo

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? new to rc wondering about lipo

So I'm fairly new to RC. Im saving up for a Mini E-Revo and was thinking of getting lipo's seeing they have a better run times. I have a few questions about chargers and brands. Fist thing first a battery is no good with out a way to charge it. So what kind of price range am I looking at? I'm not looking for top of the line just something decent and dependable. Second, What kind of charge times will I be looking at. How different is charging a lipo compared to a NIMH, I herd they can be different but I'm not sure because ive never used lipo's. What are some good battery's for the mini E-Revo I don't know if I want to go to 3s because Ive read a esc fan is a must and I'm looking for max run time and good speed. What kind of mAh Would you all suggest. That's about all I can think of at the moment. But any and all info is welcome the more I know the better my decision will be.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You can get a decent charger for $24 here: http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dyc-1004.html
I have it and have nothing but good things to say about it.

Most of the time, your LiPos will take 1 hour to charge. LiPos generally charge at 1C, that is, 1x their capacity. For example, if you have a 2200mAh LiPo, you should charge it at 2.2A, and it will take 1 hour to charge it. LiPo chargers are special because they first charge the battery at Constant Current (CC), then Constant Voltage CV) as the battery nears a full charge. It is necessary to balance charge your LiPos whenever possible. Balance charges take a bit longer than just a quick charge, but as the name suggests, the charger will balance all the cells in your pack to the same voltage (4.20v), as cells tend to 'drift' from one another as time goes on.

When you buy your LiPos, make sure to also buy a LiPo charging bag. If something goes wrong while your battery charges, things can get out of hand very quickly and a LiPo charging bag is meant to contain flames and whatnot .

I can't recommend a battery for you, as I don't own a MERV, but I'd look at Gens Ace for sure, they have some of the best packs in the business for a very affordable price: http://www.hobbypartz.com/gens.html
Old 07-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by G33Kster
You can get a decent charger for $24 here: http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dyc-1004.html

Most of the time, your LiPos will take 1 hour to charge. LiPos generally charge at 1C, that is, 1x their capacity. For example, if you have a 2200mAh LiPo, you should charge it at 2.2A, and it will take 1 hour to charge it. LiPo chargers are special because they first charge the battery at Constant Current (CC), then Constant Voltage CV) as the battery nears a full charge. It is necessary to balance charge your LiPos whenever possible. Balance charges take a bit longer than just a quick charge, but as the name suggests, the charger will balance all the cells in your pack to the same voltage (4.20v), as cells tend to 'drift' from one another as time goes on.

When you buy your LiPos, make sure to also buy a LiPo charging bag. If something goes wrong while your battery charges, things can get out of hand very quickly and a LiPo charging bag is meant to contain flames and whatnot .

I can't recommend a battery for you, as I don't own a MERV, but I'd look at Gens Ace for sure, they have some of the best packs in the business for a very affordable price: http://www.hobbypartz.com/gens.html
Agreed!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by G33Kster

haha nice number. and thank you for the info, Im going to look into the charger and on that site for batts.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For a charger, I would recommend the Thunder AC6. I've never used one before, but I've heard that they are great, affordable, and charge well.

There are lots of batteries out there. I would recommend SPC batteries, about $20 a piece for a 2300 mAH 7.4v 2S Li-Po pack, double the mAH (more run time) for the same price!!

These are lots of batteries that will fit in a MERV:

Li-Po/Fe Battery List for 1/16 Models

Posted by pkhjr (updated by me from Traxxas Forums):

Tenergy 2s 1800 mah 30c
Blue Lipo 3s 1800 mah 25c
Kypom 3s 1500 mah 30c
Venom 2s 2000 mah
Venom 3s 1300 mah 20c
SPC 2s 2300 mah
SPC 3s 1600 mah
Integy 3s 1800 mah 35c
Integy 2s 1800 mah 25c