Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Newbie questions about my rc18MT (gearing, batteries, and brushless) >

Newbie questions about my rc18MT (gearing, batteries, and brushless)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie questions about my rc18MT (gearing, batteries, and brushless)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie questions about my rc18MT (gearing, batteries, and brushless)

I can't seem to find the answers to a couple questions I have about my new MT. I've had it about a week. Looking for some help.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the MT out of the box with a standard 6 cell nimh goes about 17mph.
What kind of speeds would I get running a nice 7 cell nimh battery? (keeping it stock)

second...I am thinking about a Mamba Micro Pro 5400kv system. What gearing will work using a standard 6 cell nimh pack. Stock on the MT is 10t pinion with 60t spur (as I'm sure everyone knows)
Can I put a 12t or 13t or even 14t pinion. I'm not going to be running LiPo in the near future.

Third...How important is the Driven Pinion/Spur gear cover. It looks like a great mod. I have gotten some dirt in there and I'm sure over time will do some serious damage if I don't have that cover but I don't run in dirt and rocks very often.
Also I hear that once you install these Driven covers you CAN'T run 7 cells. Would you rather run 7 cells and not have a cover or buy the best 6 cells and have the cover?

I'm not a racer, just backyard and street bashing with an trip to the indoor track every once in a while. I'm just looking for a little more speed 25+ mph.

thanks
Old 11-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Here is a speed calculator that will help you with and gearing, battery, or brushless motor changes you want to make. Just punch in your setup and out comes your theoretical top speed.
http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_top_speed.html

Using this and setting motor Kv to get you a top speed of 17mph, would put you about 20mph changing nothing but an extra battery cell.

The Mamba systems are awesome in the RC18 series. I dont run the MT, but I can run whatever gearing I want (I have up to 20T) in my RC18T and my Mamba has never seen 140F. I would guess you can run 14T no problem, but check your temperature often to make sure.

I think if you run in areas where there is lots of dirt and rocks you will likely want the cover. Get Lipo if you want the extra power.