Community
Wiki Posts
Search

That's it! Dead lock the differential!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 11:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default That's it! Dead lock the differential!

I had enough with this differential keep stripping on every 1/18 i own especially my Vendetta ST. I was thinking dead lock the rear differential both wheels runs solid 1 pieces without diff gears is my last resort. Ball diff is no no for me cuz budget, spur stripping factor and to much slipping problem. I know turning radius can be very problemo but i play mostly on loose sand, dirt or grass where most of the time the tire ballooned all the way which leave smaller grip on the surface and gives minor slippers. Going straight line for bashing only.

So what do you guys think? yay or nah? I'm only locked the rear diff. Anyone tried before?

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xl-racing
I had enough with this differential keep stripping on every 1/18 i own especially my Vendetta ST. I was thinking dead lock the rear differential both wheels runs solid 1 pieces without diff gears is my last resort. Ball diff is no no for me cuz budget, spur stripping factor and to much slipping problem. I know turning radius can be very problemo but i play mostly on loose sand, dirt or grass where most of the time the tire ballooned all the way which leave smaller grip on the surface and gives minor slippers. Going straight line for bashing only.

So what do you guys think? yay or nah? I'm only locked the rear diff. Anyone tried before?

Thanks.
Do you own the ball diff? The problem may simply be, you have no slippage in your drivetrain if your using the gear diffs. So in other words, you may want the opposite.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:54 AM
Tech Master

Yeah i do own but the screw that tighten the ball diff keep on loose every run even after put light loctite. But i need diff that doesn't slip and pull wheelies, only works well on gear type diff.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If your trying to pull wheelies, you got the wrong car. Thats a racing truck. You can get it to wheelie, but at the expense of its handling and durability. A 2wd truck like the Mini-T would be easier to wheelie.

I hope you bought the Duratrax balldiff versus like an atomic as the aftermarket ones do loosen the screw because they aren't as well designed.

Anyhow, jbweld your geardiffs. You'll get what your after... for a bit until you strip your drive and differential gear. Also possibly break your universals.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Try Silly Putty. It locks the diff, and you can remove it with your diff parts unharmed if you don't like it.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

I wouldnt do it. no turning... and if u try and take jumps with it u wont like what happenz
Old 10-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

Hey it works!! hehehe.. well i only run it on dirt or any soft patch of soil where it could give slight slips to the tire when tuning. Its runs and sound new without clunking sounds of loose diff. But i'm going to avoid runing on tarmac or anything hard which may twist both side of the wheels outdrive and universals. The universal doesn't effect much since its reinforced ATOMIC steel carbon. The only diff i didn't lock is the front. Well at least i have no more worries about stripping the diff no more.