Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
NEED HELP IM NEW TO THE MINI SCENE >

NEED HELP IM NEW TO THE MINI SCENE

NEED HELP IM NEW TO THE MINI SCENE

Old 08-27-2009, 02:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Default NEED HELP IM NEW TO THE MINI SCENE

OK so i haven't been into the R/C field for like 3yrs cause i took a brake from them ( nitro ) and now I'm getting the itch back,

but id like to get a mini ( 4x4 ). I'd like to keep it in the 400$ range ( car & parts )

I'm totally new to the electric cars though, so a easy car to work on would be nice.

I do plan on modding it a little, but i want it to still be reliable.

I'll just be backyard bashing it. so i dint need a race version of one.

i was thinking of the Mini E-REVO or the Mini LST2, cause i hear there fast, and i do know how to drive a fast R/C car, before you ask.

So if a few people could give me a few pros & con's on the 2 i said, Or maybe a different one, and some parts i should get as soon as i can ( i.e batteries, charger, shocks, tires and gears/spurs ect ect. )

links would be great since i have no clue on battery size or charger type to get or anything else. i am very mechanically inclined. so putting parts on or replacing them wont be to hard for me.

so pretty much take 400$ and build me a fast and reliable Mini 4x4

( P.S im sure this has been asked a Hundred times and i did look at the stickies about mini's but they didn't help. cause I'm mechanically inclined not electronically inclined. so please help me out )
Old 08-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the mini e revo is the hottest item selling right now
Old 08-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The E-Revo is going to be hard to beat for backyard bashing fun. You can get the car for around $300 and some lipo batteries and charger from Hobbycity.com to make it plenty fast and long runtimes for another $100-$120 or less.
Im not sure of the battery box size, but they have many packs of various sizes to choose from.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Mini E Revo seems to be the way to go for you!
Old 08-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jongrill View Post
Mini E Revo seems to be the way to go for you!
MINI REVO times 2!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Default 1/16 revo mini

Get the Revo 1/16 its a Great Rc 4X4 Fast Durable Their are a ton of hop-ups if thats your bag,All it needs really is a good aftermarket battery or 2 if you are nuts lol..and some better tires stock are good for a while but they dont hook-up like pro-line,or JConcepts tires do.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Ok seems like the E-REVO is the way to go. As for when i asked about battery size. i meant like the whole " NiHM, LiPo, 1500mAh, 3300mAh, 2S,
3S ".

those are thing i have NO CLUE about lol

I'd post links to the ones that come with it but says i cant post links yet,
but this is what it is called

( Traxxas 7.2V NiMH Stick Power Series 1 )

and this is the charger

( Traxxas A/C Overnight Wall Charger 7.2V 200mAh NiMH )

should i just get 2 or 3 more of those battery and 1 more of the chargers that comes with it

or is there a better charger i should get?

or is there just a better battery and charger combo altogether?
Old 08-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

The only combo for good batteries and charger that I know of is from Maxamps.com. They have a combo specifically for the mini Revo that guarantees 50+mph with 30 min runtimes, the problem is that its very expensive. To the tune of $300.
I would go with something like the Rhino 1550mah 11.1V packs from Hobbycity.com. They have great history for being well worth the money, and the money is much much less than anything else you will find on the market. Pair it with the Turnigy Accucel-6 for a very high power and low cost setup that will last you a long time.
Use two of the 3s 1550mah packs with a parallel adapter to get 3100mah. This is the same thing Maxamps does with their combo and they claim 50mph and 30 min. runtime.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7311

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...lancer/Charger
Old 08-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Tech Initiate

[QUOTE=burnineyes;6270168]The only combo for good batteries and charger that I know of is from Maxamps.com. They have a combo specifically for the mini Revo that guarantees 50+mph with 30 min runtimes, the problem is that its very expensive. To the tune of $300.
I would go with something like the Rhino 1550mah 11.1V packs from Hobbycity.com. They have great history for being well worth the money, and the money is much much less than anything else you will find on the market. Pair it with the Turnigy Accucel-6 for a very high power and low cost setup that will last you a long time.
Use two of the 3s 1550mah packs with a parallel adapter to get 3100mah. This is the same thing Maxamps does with their combo and they claim 50mph and 30 min. runtime.

yeah those look like the ones i should get. i was reading the reviews and there all 5*. so they must be good.

im not going to fry anything running 2 of them am i?
cause that's the LAST thing i want to do.

and as for the battery charger.

im not going to get this thing and then look at it and say " what the hell did i get myself into " am i? lol or is it pretty easy to use?

like i said before TOTALLY new to electric R/C lol
Old 08-31-2009, 07:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by killercripple View Post
[

im not going to get this thing and then look at it and say " what the hell did i get myself into " am i? lol or is it pretty easy to use?

like i said before TOTALLY new to electric R/C lol
Seems to have quieted down....I am in your boat. I geeked out on forums for a while and settled on the Mini Erevo. Bought it used. Didnt save too much money that way, it was 'used a handful of times' by a hardcore basher.
I have done 1/3 the damage in the last two months than he did a handful of runs...
ANYway, its crazy easy, and crazy f-ing cool! I run one 3s zippy lipo (After ruining the other one somehow).... It runs a decent amount of time (maybe 25 minutes?) and at the 100% profile setting pretty dam fast.
In fact i usually run it at 50% profile.
If you get one, and decide to go LiPo, try to get in to hobbyking and snap a pair of the 2s LiPo or even the 3s.
The ones I want are on backorder and I think I am getting 4 2200 Mah's...
Run two of those in parallel ( 3s limit for the mini) and I bet your looking at 45+ minutes of fun !

I just need to decide on a charger....Get the Mini for $300, and spend another $100 on a bunlde of Lipo's and charger .
You wont believe how fun this thing is...It does U-turns on a 48" wide sidewalk with room to spare....!

Tony
Old 08-31-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

You will want to run two 3s packs for the best speed and runtime. If you connect them in series you will fry something, but the idea is to connect them parallel to get extra capacity. If you simply run one 3s pack at a time you will still get plenty of power, but runtime may suffer.

The Turnigy charger is easy to use for me, but I have been doing this for many years. I do know the instructions are pretty hard to understand. I tried to read them and got nowhere, so I just played with the charger until I figured it out. It really is easy if you just make sure it is set for lipo charge and do not exceed the recommended charge rates for your battery.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by burnineyes View Post
You will want to run two 3s packs for the best speed and runtime. If you connect them in series you will fry something, but the idea is to connect them parallel to get extra capacity. If you simply run one 3s pack at a time you will still get plenty of power, but runtime may suffer.

The Turnigy charger is easy to use for me, but I have been doing this for many years. I do know the instructions are pretty hard to understand. I tried to read them and got nowhere, so I just played with the charger until I figured it out. It really is easy if you just make sure it is set for lipo charge and do not exceed the recommended charge rates for your battery.
Thanks for the Trunigy heads up, food for thought.

I do hear that some people take the risk and run two 2s in series with the LVC turned off... Plenty of fun, but alot of risks. Something that I wouldnt want to try...!
Old 09-01-2009, 08:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Mini E-revo

Id say the mini E-Revo would be the best if you dont drive fast because you can set the esc to Sport (100% Foward Reverse and brake) Race (100% foward and reverse, but no brake) and training (50% Foward and reverse and 100% brakes). You should use the training. It goes so quick with the supplied battery, so i dont reccomend putting the LiPo in as soon as you get it. Also you need to put the supplied pinion gear to go 50mph
Old 09-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I love Losi, but don't get the MLST!!! It is known for being unreliable.

I have the 1/16th Traxxas Slash, 1/16th Revo's brother, and I love it! It's fast, fun, and durable right out of the box.

The only other good 4WD options that I know of are the Vendetta ST and the RC18T. The Vendetta ST is very low and not fit for grass or really rough off-road terrain. Plus, there are few aftermarket accessories. The RC18T is tested and proven and the accessories are limitless. It is also low, but you can get the RC18MT (Monster Truck) version which has bigger tires. It is also much cheaper than the Revo, but nearly as big or as fast.

I'd recommend the 1/16th Revo or Slash!
Old 09-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by killercripple View Post
Ok seems like the E-REVO is the way to go. As for when i asked about battery size. i meant like the whole " NiHM, LiPo, 1500mAh, 3300mAh, 2S,
3S ".

those are thing i have NO CLUE about lol

I'd post links to the ones that come with it but says i cant post links yet,
but this is what it is called

( Traxxas 7.2V NiMH Stick Power Series 1 )

and this is the charger

( Traxxas A/C Overnight Wall Charger 7.2V 200mAh NiMH )

should i just get 2 or 3 more of those battery and 1 more of the chargers that comes with it

or is there a better charger i should get?

or is there just a better battery and charger combo altogether?
u should get a extra battery or 2 and ur ganna want a better charger. i here it takes 6 hours to charge wit the stoke charger. but with a good ac/dc u can get them carger in 45 minutes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.