Search

Someone needs to Build Indoor clay in Temecula/Murrieta , CA

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mini_mac
duneland,
how right you are.
it seems that every year I attend a race at a track in which the operator makes some comment about lack of local support, or new racers not showing, and I always end up saying the same thing in reply, "it is because you built this track with 25% of the guys in mind that spend a lot of money to go really fast, and have totally forgotten the other 75% that can't or won't."
because clearing big jumps, or triples, or flying 10 feet in the rarified air is the bastion of a few, and the nemesis of many.
track size should always be relative to the size of the vehicles running and not just a catch all, because someone always comes out on the losing end of the deal.

in reality the small-scale 1/18th-sized tracks are the most popular primarily in the northern climates where the weather is cold the majority of the year, in England where it rains most of the time, bother where people are forced indoors much of the time ----- and a few large metropolitan cities in which prohibitively high building rents make down-sizing a more realistic goal. all ideas, it seems, southern californians won't or refuses to buy into.

so much by the same token your suggestion on scaling back the track size and obsticles will be ignored by other guys here that try and suggest "if I can make it everybody else should be having fun too" all because they've personally stuffed enough ponies under the hood and spent heavily to do so, you'll also never win this argument.

i dont think it has anything to do with equipemtn rather than the size of the track and who your trying to attract.. you stated that a track bilder shouldnt build a track for 18th scalers with only 25% of them are capable of driving on them,,, well the same is true here..

in socal.. we barely get rain here.. so the outdoor 10th scale/th scale tracks are very popular... and that is why there is always some sort of sancitoned race of one sort or another.. like the JBRL or the REEDY TRUCK RACE..

if you build a track for 18th scales.. then you only build the track for that 1% of rc racers out there ,,,, like said before.. the main attraction is 10th scale and 8th scale.. the 18th scale is not taken seriously.. and for anyone wanting to get started they always go to 10th scale.. there is more support for them aswell as part support.. all of the pro drivers here in socal are either 10th scale or 8th scale drivers..

at socal they had a dedicated mini class.. (at one time),, that class rapidly dwindled in size until the last of the mohicans had to run with the 10th scale vehicles if he/she wanted to race at all..

if there were 10 minis at ocrcraceway on racedays and practice days aswell as at pegasus hobbies and at revelations... (30 mini drivers) the idea of a 18th scale track MIGHT be attractive to them... but there is barely enough mini drivers to get a class started for any given raceday... (wednesday, friday, sunday)

no matter how you put it.. if one were to make a 18th scale track and not have it big enough to consider the other 99% of rc hbbyist then the place will fold quickly..

having a large 10th scale track,, big enough to support 8th scale and small enough (not too small) to support 18th scale is the best bet out here.. it dosnt rain enough to warrant an indoor 18th scale track,,,

by the way.. here in socal.. large jumps and fast straights are what the pros and amatuers run here..
Old 10-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jaejw1
iyou stated that a track bilder shouldnt build a track for 18th scalers with only 25% of them are capable of driving on them,,,
I said no such thing.
if you had understood you would have gotten out of it that 75% of RCs that the general RC public owns can not clear the big jumps, regardless of scale.

and if you've never had a track or driven a track designed for the smaller scales then you wouldn't understand the difference between something you actually have to drive and something you can just hold down the trigger and blast over the whole thing.
maybe if you ran a 1/10th on ocrcr you'd understand the subtle difference of driving a track designed to the size of the car running. if you forced 1/18ths to run on a 1/10th track its no wonder the class died off, its the same thing that happens at 1/8th tracks that try to run 1/10th also.

i tried to help, but I give up
Old 10-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

and if you've never had a track or driven a track designed for the smaller scales then you wouldn't understand the difference between something you actually have to drive and something you can just hold down the trigger and blast over the whole thing.
i cant say that i know the difference,, and i would love the chance to drive on one.. i just dont think it will happen while im in socal..

maybe if you ran a 1/10th on ocrcr you'd understand the subtle difference of driving a track designed to the size of the car running. if you forced 1/18ths to run on a 1/10th track its no wonder the class died off, its the same thing that happens at 1/8th tracks that try to run 1/10th also.
i actually used to race with 10th scales.. 4wd buggy and 2wd truck,, stock and mod.. but i found that the 18th scale was a lot easier and more fun to drive.. btw i wasnt the best 10th scale driver out there but it did help me when driving the mini.. and once again.. if 4 guys get together for a race then they will have a class.. but if not ,, and the owner feels your good enough he will put you in a 10th scale class sutable for that mini-drivers skill level..

i never disagreed with the idea of a mini 18th scale track,, would be nice to have one.. but it just would not last.. there isnt enough support for it out here.. we either run on 10th or 8th scale tracks or we bash in our front yards... its kind of a take it or leave it attitude out here.. the only way an 18th scale track would flourish is if there was a 10th scale and 18th scale in one place... socal raceway had something similar .. a dirt offroad and a ashpalt onroad.. all under one roof..

mini_mac,, duneland... im not arguing with you.. to a point i agree but the area just wont strictly support something that is considered to be a toy ...
Old 10-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by duneland
basshwg,
I watched the first 1/18 vid you linked. The track size was very nice, but there was zero traction. One of the reasons I think a scaled down track is the way to go for the minis, is the ease of building and maintaining such a track. An indoor track of that size would require little or no dirver stand, so lower ceiling hieght would be OK. I am also quite familiar with indoor clay tracks as I have been racing for 20 years, and much of that time was on indoor clay tracks. I have had my Detta on several carpet tracks + the large indoor clay track at Leisure Hours. While that track is considered smooth by 1/8 standards, the Detta is kicked around terribly. It also gets lost behind the lane barriers. Of all the minis, only the ST and MLST get around consistantly on that track. With the Vendetta buggy, one needs to upsize to half 8 whls and tires, to make it more sane.
We may stream some of our racing this winter. If we do, you can see what I meen.
No I do not want to see a track of that size which is in the 7000sqft range. I would like to see more like a 4000sqft range track 85x55.
If you are refering to my first video link in regards to smoothness of the track only by 1/8 standards, than how is it that a 1/18 vendetta buggy had no stuggles at all in fact the vendetta buggy running in that video is less than 1 second behind a 1/8 brushless buggy on the same track(see videos in prior post). So I don't see your point based on that particular track(the first video link) being to big, rough for mini's . Plus all my other videos show 1/10 tracks running mini's with out struggle. Yes a small 1/18 track may be easier to learn for most people but the support for it in SO. CAL. does not exsist so its either please the majority(1/10 guys) and have a nice indoor clay track to run mini's on too, or Drive in front of my house back & forth back & forth back & forth back & forth> I think I would rather tune my mini with a brushless set-up which is what most people do here anyway, get the suspension dialed in and pactice on 1/10 track having much more fun!!!
and if enough mini's form to create a class even better.

Last edited by basshwg; 10-06-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Tech Regular

QUOTE:
mini_mac,, duneland... im not arguing with you.. to a point i agree but the area just wont strictly support something that is considered to be a toy ...

I totally agree with jaejw1. I am not arguing that 1/18 tracks suck or that mini's should only be driven on 1/10 tracks.
I would love to see a 1/18 indoor clay track and would support it 110% but I would never be the one to open it because in SO. CAL. It would not survive without 1/10 support. So when all you have is 1/10 clay you run with it or nothing. When I say 1/18 mini's can handle 1/10 clay its because that's what we have to drive on and it works.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jaejw1
but with a 18th scale track,, you take away the large aerobatic jumps.. lol..lol..
You haven't seen the table top on my track!.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by duneland
You haven't seen the table top on my track!.
dont tease,,,,,, show us the pics..... I like checking out layout ...
Old 10-08-2008, 12:19 AM
Tech Regular

Yes let's see the track layout & the table top......
Old 10-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

I'll see if I can round up some pics from last season. Track is down for remodeling right now. Going to expand it and put carpet down(current surface is canvas, and has a few years of use..)
Old 10-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Exclamation Good Idea - Anyone Serious about getting this Together?

How about lets find out what kind of Numbers of Folks that would like for this to happen in this area.

I've got all the Clay that anyone would ever want - THIS Clay is TREATED & PERFECT for such a track.

--------------------------------------------------

We maybe able to assist with the "Space" as well...

Just curious about peoples passion for this sport as I am NEW & don't know anything about it. But want to LEARN.

---------------------------------------------------

Thanks

CoronaClayCo.

Jon
Old 10-30-2008, 01:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CoronaClayCo
How about lets find out what kind of Numbers of Folks that would like for this to happen in this area.

I've got all the Clay that anyone would ever want - THIS Clay is TREATED & PERFECT for such a track.

--------------------------------------------------

We maybe able to assist with the "Space" as well...

Just curious about peoples passion for this sport as I am NEW & don't know anything about it. But want to LEARN.

---------------------------------------------------

Thanks

CoronaClayCo.

Jon

Well lets look at the only indoor clay track in SoCal now the OC/RC www.ocrcraceway.com in Huntington beach, CA opened in May 2008 and The numbers they are seeing are reported in another post are 250 racing & 150 practice per week not counting special events. If you have a nice setup as does OC/RC you offer PARTNERING OPPORTUNITIES which offer rc companies special privileges to track access, large banner adds, dedicated pits & A Vip room for Team Racers, which in return they pay a nice monthly fee, you also rent out partial space to a hobby shop which is a must for onsite parts support. The Temecula/Murrieta is a Huge family community with a mid/high income average. You will also get the weekend travelers
as I do (70 miles oneway to OC/RC) because the indoor tracks are far & few between but they are fun & year round. You do need a large building, a decent track alone is over 4600sqft. This is something well worth looking at.