Wiki Posts
Search

Small Radio for Child

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Small Radio for Child

Guys my 4-year old has been coming to the track since he was a baby and loves cars, trucks ect........he has some to rc cars and trucks but he really want to try some of my cars. He cant use my helios of Jr x2i as they are to large. He sits on my lap and steers and I run the throttle.

Looking at the mini-t/micro-t radio or the Associated xp2. Which is smaller? For the Losi are there only esc/rx combo units? Seems the Associated can use tx with out esc.

Or are the other radio options. He has a stick radio for one of his cars and he licks this the best but not sure if this would be and option as these types of radios seem large when it comes to full scale.

Thanks

Tom
Old 06-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I got one of the Losi 2.4ghz radios out of a ready to run Mini-LST2 for my five year old. It's light because it only runs on 4 AA batteries and the stubby antenna can't really get bent or poke someone in the eye. I used a heat gun on the trigger to close the gap so he can use reverse easier. And best of all, there's no interference.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

My 5yr old boy has been using a Spektrum DX3R since it came out and he loves it. He made the switch from stick to wheel very quickly and since the DX3R only takes 4 AA's it's light too. It also has a thin-ish grip and you can put it down multiple ways without damaging it. Only problem with wheel radio's and small kids is that they cannot use the brakes as their fingers are not long enough to push it forwards. The great thing is you have all the control in the world to turn the throttle and steering down. It has made him a much better driver since he only runs at 20% throttle he cannot break the car and has built up a lot of confidence.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

You can slip a piece of fuel tubing over the front of the finger trigger and this will close the gap necessary to run brakes.

We have one racer with two sons. They are both under six and use Losi 2.4 radios. They race oval and rock crawling. These radios being light weight and rather small work well for them. Not certain if they have the fuel tubing on them or not.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

my 4 yo uses a KO mars with no problems, and my 3 year old uses a futaba
3pks, but has a little trouble kicking his finger back to brake.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:52 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

older model futabas (or tower knockoffs), nice and light. no real loss if dropped accidently.

R
Old 07-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ttppll
I got one of the Losi 2.4ghz radios out of a ready to run Mini-LST2 for my five year old. It's light because it only runs on 4 AA batteries and the stubby antenna can't really get bent or poke someone in the eye. I used a heat gun on the trigger to close the gap so he can use reverse easier. And best of all, there's no interference.
yeah, my 5 yr. old son loves this radio.

my son actually uses a dx2.0 on his rc18t, but its kind of a big radio. but still, its no problem for him.

but my wife has the losi 2.4ghz radio on her mini-t and its a perfect size radio for him. as ttppll said. its small. its light (only 4 batteries). and it doesn't have a big antenna he can bend. and NO INTERFERENCE!

great radio for a young kid!!
Old 07-08-2008, 06:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Thanks Guys!!!!!!!!!

I am going to pick up a Losi DSM Pro radio where I can turn down the amount of throttle he will have.