Wiki Posts
Search

setup questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default setup questions

hi guys i have an rc18b that is almost completely stock. i want to run my 18b on a local 1/8th scale offroad track. the track has a really big quad that my 18b can just do 2 doubles fine, but my biggest problem is all the bumps. i run 40wt in the front and 30 wt in the rear in the 3racing shocks (they dont leak and are tons better over the stock shocks). i was curious could i go to a softer wt oil in the front and rear to make up for all the bumps. everytime i hit a good sized bump it always throws the rear of my truck around. what could i do about the springs? could i go softer without sacraficing the take off/landing of a jump. i ask because as it is now the truck has good manners in the air. doesnt always want to pitch way down or up on take off, and lands smooth when i land on the down side of the jump. also what tirs for loose/ loamy when dry tracks?? losi step pins, or could i go with some of proline's tires. sorry for such big questions i just want to be able to go out there and have some fun with the other 1/10 electrics.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Tech Regular

The fact is you'll always struggle with a 1/18th scale car on an 1/18th scale track but there is a lot you can do to calm it down. 3Racing does spring kits for their shocks with different spring rates which you could start with. You could also use pistons with more holes (or drill the holes bigger in the pistons you have - I used to drill my FT shock pistons to 1mm) so you can use a wider range of oils. You can use Rear shocks on the front (use the outside hole on the front wishbones). You can use 1/10 scale wheels such as Schumacher Mini Pins which will raise the ride height and make it jumps better.

The car will take a bit of a hammering so you would do well with the metal diff gears from thetoyz and ceramic diff balls.

Also, don't be afraid to add a little lead weight to give the car a bit 'body'. It stabilises the car a lot and makes it behave a lot better in bumpy conditions.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:24 AM
Suspended

running a 1/18th car on a 1/10th scale track is one thing, but either running it or expecting it to be able to run on a MUCH larger 1/8th scale track is something else entirely - sorta like expecting a honda to be able to negotiate the huge jumps and such on a Monster Jam monster truck layout.

the RC18 lineup gets around fine on layouts designed for that class of vehicle, sorry, but honestly I think you're shooting for the moon.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You could try changing the piston size and oil. To create less pack but keep near the same dampening effect you have now. So use a larger holed piston with a bit thicker oil.

Less pack will create more initial responsiveness to sudden changes. It can however make the car slam harder on its chassis.

You could also try changing your rear anti-squat. I think competition rc site has a tip to change that.

You can use larger size TC tires to help with the angle of attack of the tires to those bumps. Jae should speak up in here since he has so much experience with this (albeit a different brand).
Old 06-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

thanks for all the replies. honestly i was expection a few more laughs for me to try to run mine on an 1/8th scale track. but i ran 1/10th scale stadium truck on it. its a big track. i think the straight away is like 120ft. (i think).
rocket rob- im just trying to have fun with some friends on a track.
i put 30 in the front, 20 in the rear, stock pistons, and i put the AE blue springs back in it, and drove it around the yard. which has a few bumps. i drove it before i made any changes so i could see what happens btw. its alot smoother, i think with bigger holes in the pistons and the same wt oil,, or 25/ 15 it would probably be better. but the springs really help. the stock (black) 3racing springs are a bit stronger than the other. where can i find the shumacher mini pins?? are those like the hpi ralley tires?? i thought about that but right now im still on the stock motor. yes i do plan on going brushless soon.
oh yea. another thing i never broke when i ran the other day while practicing around, but what are some of the key things that i need to keep replacements of or go metal with, besides ring and pinion and spur.