Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OFFICIAL MINI LST THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Losi came out with a set of updated plastic gears for the original Mini-LST. I have a set of those in a brushless Mini-LST and have not had any problems running it hard in grass and jumping it. The key is not to have the slipper clutch too tight.

The Mini-LST 2 comes with metal diff and pinion gears and they will work with the original. If you get those (or the Viscous Differential Conversion Set) and the dual disk slipper (made for the Mini-T but works in the LST) you will be in good shape.

Last edited by ttppll; 07-24-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks......I'll check with the LHS about getting the update parts......also see how tight the slipper is.....I never paid attention to if it even had one
Old 07-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you stripped two pinions so quickly, I would reccomend the Mini-lst 2 differential gears.

They include a metal pinion/ring gear and new internals.

Do NOT get the viscous diff conversion kit. It is absolutely different that the Mini-lst 2 diffs - the Mini-lst 2 diffs are cheaper AND stronger.
I don't know what that other guy was talking about, they are NOT the same.

They aren't too costly either.. $11 dollars at thetoyz.com

http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...%20&%20LST%202

Remember you should get two sets, both front and rear are likely to strip before long.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

I was going to the metal parts.....thanks
Old 08-21-2008, 07:43 AM
Tech Adept

Smile MLST Forums?

Hi site admin,

Is it possible to group all the mlst threads into one sticky forum? I think that will go a long way to eliminating duplicate questions etc.

Thanks for looking.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by newbie*
Hi site admin,

Is it possible to group all the mlst threads into one sticky forum? I think that will go a long way to eliminating duplicate questions etc.

Thanks for looking.
Got several of them merged, but I don't think it needs to be stickied right now, & some threads have to do with other subjects as well, so I don't think it's right to merge them all...
Old 08-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Thanks Griz.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:44 AM
Tech Adept

Cool Losi CVD Tip

Hey,

I installed Losi CVD's this weekend and they clicked like mad when the truck was back together. It took some time to figure it out but here's what I found...

when you install the losi CVD's and set the king pins they touch the pins in the CVD's. To solve this I put washers on the king pin screws and new it's silent.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey folks... Been viewing the forums for a while... but haven't really contributed much.. so here goes.

Over the last month or two my nephew and I have gone through a bunch of parts and I'd like to review them now. His is a MMB and mine is a MLST2. Same thing, I know. We are both running stock motors, pinions/spur, etc.. I'm using a 1650lipo and he's using the stock 1000mah lipo that came with the mmb.

Losi Viscous Differentials
PROS: Losi finally updated their originally retarded and frail diff design with an attempt at a real viscous diff!
CONS: Its a far cry from an upgrade... It handles better, but strength wise, Neither this or the original diffs lasted an entire battery run. Both front and rear almost went out simultaneously.. The planetary gears strip at the outdrive pin - destroying the shim and o-ring.. leaking diff fluid.. I was severely disappointed by this product.
Summary: Waste of money.

Losi Mini-T Dual Disc Slipper
PROS: Great slipper design.. includes a spacer between the center diff's input shaft bearings to prevent putting too much stress on them. No matter what setting I put it at, it always held up. Includes a 60tooth pinion. Especially good on the MMB tires... really moves it!
CONS: Doesn't fit under the gear cover. You have to add shims underneath the screws that hold the cover on. I also laid some foam rubber in the crack that produces at the top and bottom. seals it pretty well.. but still a bummer. There's also no spurs other than 60T that I can find for this slipper. If you know of one, please share. Other than that, a great product.
Summary: Worth the 11 or 12 bucks whatever it is.. especially if you go brushless.

MIP CVD's (front/rear/center)
PROS: Awesome stuff. Smooth operation, no hang ups, easy to assemble, perfect fit.
CONS: They rub slightly on the shock cups, but not enough to make me REALLY care.. they just make it shiny in one spot. I also got one of them without the little hardware kit. Fortunately MIP is a terrific company and sent one out ASAP. The center ones DO NOT work with the Losi Viscous differential pinion gear. Also, the wheel pins that come with them, while they are a roll pin and fit in snugly, they are a little bit too small and slip out easily if you don't have the wheel REALLY wrenched on..
Summary: Worth every cent, but use your original wheel pins

MIP Center Ball Differential
PROS: Makes the car drive SO much better, doesn't unload in the front as much and allows you to tighten it to a semi-locked state... while still allowing a little give. I've had no problems with this product yet.
CONS: None.
Summary: Get one.

MIP Front/Rear Ball Differentials
PROS: Great feel, no stupid spider/planetary gears to break, externally adjustable, internally strong!
CONS (Kinda): Spur gear is plastic... DO NOT use it with the stock pinion, whether it be metal or plastic (MLST = plastic, MLST2/MMB = metal). I used the stock pinion first (a new one even), and it started stripping and making clicking noises when I would brake and eventually when I was accelerating even a little.. On inspection of the diff gear, it was barely stripped... so I'm thinking this is a measurement issue on MIP's behalf.. but I found a solution! Use the Losi Viscous Diff Pinion.. You can buy it separately from Losi, and it meshes perfectly with it. Since it was already "stripped" I decided to test it out. Even with the "stripped" gear, I couldn't get it to click once. I would rev it to the max, and slam the rear end on the carpet, stopping the gears entirely... then do it in reverse... then braking hard while freewheeling and hitting a lot of jumps... didn't even wince at me. Took it apart and saw no further wear. MIP - being the awesome company they are, are sending me 4 replacement gears for free.... they ALSO mentioned that they make their own pinion (that I don't see on their site) to go with that set... just ask for it. I haven't gotten it yet, so I'll report when I do..
Summary: A little non-intuitive at first, but a bulletproof diff when treated correctly! Too bad you can't use the butter-zone solution with the center CVD's. Hopefully their pinion does.

Stock Losi Servos
No pros or cons for these... they are trash and everybody knows it. If you haven't broken yours, go get a lottery ticket.
I have however, performed the metal gear swap depicted here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7527546/tm.htm
I did, however, deviate a little from what he did. I installed ONLY the direct swap gears.... I think its just 3 gears.. the main output gear remains plastic, as does the teeny tiny plastic one. Also, use the existing tiny gear. The one that comes with the Metal gear set is NOT the same pitch.

I've beat the HELL out of my new metal gear modded servo's... cartwheels, huge jumps, etc.. They keep going... on both cars.. Hell.. I've TRIED to break them almost... Worthwile purchase... but the sets are like almost 20 a pop... so, about the cost of replacement servos.. but cheaper than the exotek setup, which... is great and all.. but, I'll get there eventually.

Also got us a set of mini-claw tires.. small and not bouncy at all, but they track/grip awesome.. especially with the MIP ball diffs. If you like the MMB tires, you'll probably hate them. If you like the stock MLST2 tires, you'll love them. They also kick butt in sand/loose dirt.

Anyways.. that's all for now.

Let me know what you think. Disagree with anything I said?
Old 08-29-2008, 06:41 AM
Tech Adept

Wink

Originally Posted by micaheli
Hey folks... Been viewing the forums for a while... but haven't really contributed much.. so here goes.

Over the last month or two my nephew and I have gone through a bunch of parts and I'd like to review them now. His is a MMB and mine is a MLST2. Same thing, I know. We are both running stock motors, pinions/spur, etc.. I'm using a 1650lipo and he's using the stock 1000mah lipo that came with the mmb.

Losi Viscous Differentials
PROS: Losi finally updated their originally retarded and frail diff design with an attempt at a real viscous diff!
CONS: Its a far cry from an upgrade... It handles better, but strength wise, Neither this or the original diffs lasted an entire battery run. Both front and rear almost went out simultaneously.. The planetary gears strip at the outdrive pin - destroying the shim and o-ring.. leaking diff fluid.. I was severely disappointed by this product.
Summary: Waste of money.

Losi Mini-T Dual Disc Slipper
PROS: Great slipper design.. includes a spacer between the center diff's input shaft bearings to prevent putting too much stress on them. No matter what setting I put it at, it always held up. Includes a 60tooth pinion. Especially good on the MMB tires... really moves it!
CONS: Doesn't fit under the gear cover. You have to add shims underneath the screws that hold the cover on. I also laid some foam rubber in the crack that produces at the top and bottom. seals it pretty well.. but still a bummer. There's also no spurs other than 60T that I can find for this slipper. If you know of one, please share. Other than that, a great product.
Summary: Worth the 11 or 12 bucks whatever it is.. especially if you go brushless.

MIP CVD's (front/rear/center)
PROS: Awesome stuff. Smooth operation, no hang ups, easy to assemble, perfect fit.
CONS: They rub slightly on the shock cups, but not enough to make me REALLY care.. they just make it shiny in one spot. I also got one of them without the little hardware kit. Fortunately MIP is a terrific company and sent one out ASAP. The center ones DO NOT work with the Losi Viscous differential pinion gear. Also, the wheel pins that come with them, while they are a roll pin and fit in snugly, they are a little bit too small and slip out easily if you don't have the wheel REALLY wrenched on..
Summary: Worth every cent, but use your original wheel pins

MIP Center Ball Differential
PROS: Makes the car drive SO much better, doesn't unload in the front as much and allows you to tighten it to a semi-locked state... while still allowing a little give. I've had no problems with this product yet.
CONS: None.
Summary: Get one.

MIP Front/Rear Ball Differentials
PROS: Great feel, no stupid spider/planetary gears to break, externally adjustable, internally strong!
CONS (Kinda): Spur gear is plastic... DO NOT use it with the stock pinion, whether it be metal or plastic (MLST = plastic, MLST2/MMB = metal). I used the stock pinion first (a new one even), and it started stripping and making clicking noises when I would brake and eventually when I was accelerating even a little.. On inspection of the diff gear, it was barely stripped... so I'm thinking this is a measurement issue on MIP's behalf.. but I found a solution! Use the Losi Viscous Diff Pinion.. You can buy it separately from Losi, and it meshes perfectly with it. Since it was already "stripped" I decided to test it out. Even with the "stripped" gear, I couldn't get it to click once. I would rev it to the max, and slam the rear end on the carpet, stopping the gears entirely... then do it in reverse... then braking hard while freewheeling and hitting a lot of jumps... didn't even wince at me. Took it apart and saw no further wear. MIP - being the awesome company they are, are sending me 4 replacement gears for free.... they ALSO mentioned that they make their own pinion (that I don't see on their site) to go with that set... just ask for it. I haven't gotten it yet, so I'll report when I do..
Summary: A little non-intuitive at first, but a bulletproof diff when treated correctly! Too bad you can't use the butter-zone solution with the center CVD's. Hopefully their pinion does.

Stock Losi Servos
No pros or cons for these... they are trash and everybody knows it. If you haven't broken yours, go get a lottery ticket.
I have however, performed the metal gear swap depicted here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7527546/tm.htm
I did, however, deviate a little from what he did. I installed ONLY the direct swap gears.... I think its just 3 gears.. the main output gear remains plastic, as does the teeny tiny plastic one. Also, use the existing tiny gear. The one that comes with the Metal gear set is NOT the same pitch.

I've beat the HELL out of my new metal gear modded servo's... cartwheels, huge jumps, etc.. They keep going... on both cars.. Hell.. I've TRIED to break them almost... Worthwile purchase... but the sets are like almost 20 a pop... so, about the cost of replacement servos.. but cheaper than the exotek setup, which... is great and all.. but, I'll get there eventually.

Also got us a set of mini-claw tires.. small and not bouncy at all, but they track/grip awesome.. especially with the MIP ball diffs. If you like the MMB tires, you'll probably hate them. If you like the stock MLST2 tires, you'll love them. They also kick butt in sand/loose dirt.

Anyways.. that's all for now.

Let me know what you think. Disagree with anything I said?
Excellent insights to what work and what doesn't!
I've been on the fence as to what to do with my diffs in my mlst 1st gen. I've rebuilt mine once already.

I have a question: what pinion are you using on the motors with that 60t spur gear?
I put the insanes in my truck and went to a 22t pinion with the stock spur and it's quick but more speed is always a good thing.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by newbie*
I have a question: what pinion are you using on the motors with that 60t spur gear?
I put the insanes in my truck and went to a 22t pinion with the stock spur and it's quick but more speed is always a good thing.
Using the stockers. I have no idea what the stockers are.. 23tooth? I never judge correct gearing by the size of the gears... but rather by the temperature of the motor.... and the stock setup used to roast... so I'm pretty happy with the 60T. Definitely seems to be more of a correct gearing. Expecially for the MMB tires.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

thankx for the info I too had problems stipping the mip ring gear called them numerous times the never mentioned they had their own pinions to work with the ball diff. i guess I"ll be ringing them up monday Hope it works as good as you say.