Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The BRP Thread, 1/18 stock and mod. national champs

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Since we're sharing. Here is my GTP for the V2M. Currently working on a '02 Terry Labonte Cheez-it Monte C.

Micro - That Sirrus looks real good.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:14 AM
Tech Regular

Very nice! Don
Old 12-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

your funny wayne that a littel to far to do when the birds and our january jam are comming up but if you feel the need to come up for a race we have our january jam the 11,12,13 and we are running minis
Old 12-18-2007, 04:08 AM
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Does that mean you'll be running your BRP's?
Old 12-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

yes we will if you bring it we will run it
Old 12-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

a few brp questions....
what are you doing for steering linkages???

What are you doing the ball diffs? I heard you guys are using scalpel spurs???
anything else???

thanks for the info....
Old 12-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Bermbuster
a few brp questions....

anything else???

thanks for the info....
send an email to Bud at [email protected] - He has modified scalpel spur gears with diff balls, and threaded steering linkages for the SC-18V2M.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Tech Adept

a few brp questions....

anything else???

thanks for the info....
send an email to Bud at [email protected] - He has modified scalpel spur gears with diff balls, and threaded steering linkages for the SC-18V2M.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:02 PM
Tech Adept

a few brp questions....

anything else???

thanks for the info....
Old 12-22-2007, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Happy Holidays

I'm not PC

MERRY CHRISTMAS
Old 12-26-2007, 04:16 AM
sg1
Tech Elite

ZOOOOM..
You going to race this weekend?? Might be a brushless class calling your name
Old 12-29-2007, 06:41 AM
Tech Rookie

My BRP Story....

OK – I will admit it, I have always thought the BRP was ugly, cheap, and homemade. I loved my Micro RS4, and enjoyed all the aftermarket goodies for it. At my local track we have a good 1/18th scale following. We have 20-30 people every other Sunday race 1/18th. We all started with the Micro RS4’s, and when the Mini-T and RC18T came out, we all had to have one! Once again the aftermarket parts were a plenty! Recently when the Scalpel came out, a lot of racers got them, including me. Once again it was a race to see who could get the best aftermarket parts. I took a step back and looked at my Micro RS4, Mini-T, and RC18T – and realized I had more $ in them then my 1/10th and 1/12th!

I was reading some other posts and see a lot of reviews on how inexpensive the BRP is, and that it has no aftermarket parts. I was also reading how well they performed and the great customer support. So I decided to get one. I called BRP and talked to Bud (the guy who makes the car) and was really impressed with him and the time he spent with me on the phone (for anyone that has tried to call HPI, can see why I would be shocked!). Bud sent me the SC-18V2M Racer complete with 370 motor and Team Scream matched 1500’s – it was $120.00 shipped!

When I got the kit I was a little disappointed that the directions were hard to follow, and had few pictures. But once I got to the track – all was forgiven. I was two laps faster than my best run with the Scalpel the first time I put it on the track. By the end of the night, I had won the A Main by 3 seconds – my best finish was 3rd in the A Main all other nights! I could not believe it 1st in the A Main, and that’s without changing anything on the car, or adjusting the chassis.

Sorry about the long post, but I am so excited to have a car that ran great – out of the box!

Now for you BRP racers – I have some questions:

1. What lube do you use on the kingpins? I used 100 wt silicon, but think I may need more dampening.
2. I noticed that there is a bumper available, and that some racers use it for the front body mounts… I don’t like the servo mount – how does the bumper work?
3. My rear axel is a little tight in the bushings. What do you guys use as lube? Do you polish the rear axel?
4. The black spacer on the rear axel – how much play do you have in it? I noticed that when I put the rear tire on and but it up against the black spacer – the axel was not smooth.
5. The kit came with purple rear tires. I run on a high bite carpet road course – is their a harder rear tire?
6. What weight oil do you use in the rear pod? I tried 50, but think that may be too much?
7. Are their other front springs? I have the silver – I think Bud said they were soft?
8. Are their different T-Plates?

Any tips would help!

If you have not tried the BRP – I would give it a chance!
Old 12-29-2007, 09:40 AM
sg1
Tech Elite

Glad you liked it! I hear the same thing you said alot.. cheap, ugly, no aftermarket stuff. I say, do you want to spend money or win To answere your questions;
1. I use 30,000 wt on my kingpins, polish them first and make sure the stearing block is free moving on them.
2. I don't use the bumper, I bought an extra pair of body mounts and put them on the screws that are next to the stearing blocks.
3. I polished my rear axle and super glue the bushings in place. I put my axle in when gluing the bushings in to find a nice free spot. Then I put some polishing compound on the axle and spin the axle in the bushings after the glue has set. I don't use any lube.
4. I removed the black spacer and put a few shims there then added an 1/8" ID aluminum collar that has a 4/40 set screw. That will hold the rear end play better and prevent the tire from moving in on a wall shot. I believe Bud sells these along with a thrust bearing to ride against the bushing.
5.Bud has green rears which are harder.
6.I start with 100wt. on the dampening plates and if i need more stearing 3,000 wt.
7. The silver front springs are the best. Bud may have progressive orange, but I'm not sure.
8. Talk to bud about the t-plates. We have tried some with no slot in it. It depends on the track.

The only thing you may want to try to gain some corner speed is to add some camber or add a .02" shim under the front of the t-plate. If you have any other questions just yell!!

-Wayne
Old 12-31-2007, 05:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Wayne - THANK YOU!

Sunday was my best run ever! Took the A Main by 4 laps! My fellow racers (especially the guys who always come in 1st or 2nd) are now making me remove my wing what a bunch of babies!

A few more questions:
1. I am using a micro servo. With my new speed, it may not be fast enough - what servo do you use?
2. Can you adjust the rear ride height?
3. My diff rings keep spinning - do you glue them?

Thanks again -
Old 12-31-2007, 06:02 AM
sg1
Tech Elite

Great run!! There have been other tracks that don't like the BRP wings don't feel bad. To answere your questions:
1. I use a futaba servo, I believe it's the s9650 (it's the only digital futaba 1/12 servo) Use a servo saver and mount the ball stud in the lowest middle position.
2. No rear ride hight adjustment. With stock tires, 1.40" OD and a .02" shim under the front of the t-plate you should have approx. 4mm-4.5mm clearance in the rear. The tires only wear .010" on a weekend of running.
3. Definately glue the rings. Ruff up the surfaces being glued with some sandpaper. (rings, axle, plastic diff. spacer.) Don't assemble untill fully dried. If the diff. feels sticky or as if it may be rubbing plastic make sure the diff. ball holes are free, balls should drop in. Make sure the spur gear adaptor isn't rubbing on the flange side of the axle. Have the spacer flush or .01" pushed in on 1 side of the gear. The plastic diff. diff spacer has clearance for the gear adaptor. Lastly, you can add a slightly larger chamfer to the diff side rim where the 1/8" id flanged bearing goes to assure the bearings race clears.
good luck,
Wayne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.