Like Tree1Likes

Traxxas TRX4 MT

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 05:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Traxxas TRX4 MT

TRX4 MT

This thing looks pretty awesome and it's $70 less than the Losi 1/18 MT. Traxxas did what Losi should have done and they made the Bigfoot sticker set an ad on, which probably brought the price down a bit.

The track that Traxxas uses for the promo video looks pretty awesome and it would be fun to see a Grave Digger vs Bigfoot shootout on something similar.

In my opinion this MT is a Losi killer and it almost makes me want to sell my SCX24 Monster. My hopes is that Traxxas releases a 1/10th version of this.
Old 05-03-2024, 03:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I don't think a slow monster truck is going to be as big of a "Losi Killer" as you are hoping, but who knows.
https://www.bigsquidrc.com/monster-t...axxas-trx-4mt/

Last edited by Biz73; 05-03-2024 at 04:23 AM. Reason: added link
Old 05-03-2024, 10:45 AM
Tech Regular

is it me or the photo or are the rear suspension links longer than the fronts?
i don't see this being a Losi killer ether. id bet a large amount of money that the Losi is faster, handles better, is more durable, is maybe equipped better. and of course it looks better. the only thing i see "beneficial" about the traxxas truck is it's cheaper and the bodies look nice.
what's really grinding my gears is they (just like Losi) use a 2n1 ESC/receiver.
Old 05-03-2024, 02:21 PM
Tech Regular

Yes, out of the box when it comes to top end and torque the Losi has the Traxxas beat, but put a Torque Beast in the TRX4 MT and I stand by the Traxxas being a Losi Killer and it still will cost less than the Losi. In my opinion the Traxxas is a better platform and it has a lower center of gravity, which will go a long ways helping it perform better than the Losi once they are on equal ground power wise.

The Traxxas weighs 1.27 pounds, the Losi weighs 1.834 pounds. Lighter is better in my opinion. Less wear on parts, better power to weight ratio, and better handling, among many other advantages. A bigger motor takes a bigger battery and a half a pound is a huge weight advantage. Bigger isn't always better.

A fully hoped up TRX4 MT probably weighs about the same as a box stock Losi. Add hop ups to the Losi and oof, you just built a brick.

Maybe a YouTuber who gets stuff for free - to very little cost can settle this bet. I'm sure MoFo would provide parts to the right YouTuber. I'm sure Traxxas would love to see a video out there of there MT stomping on a Losi.

And wait until someone puts a Hobbywing ESC and Motor that was intended for a Losi mini in the Traxxas. That person will still spend a little less and that Traxxas will absolutely humiliate the Losi. The TRX4 MT is a bonafide Losi slayer once equipped with a proper power plant.

Last edited by MULMZ2; 05-03-2024 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-03-2024, 03:54 PM
Tech Regular

and you could swap the motor in the Losi and go faster than the motor swapped Traxxas. when you start talking motor swaps whos faster becomes irrelevant.
its an MT, overall weight isn't really relevant. you have to look at things like chassis balance, center of gravity, and unsprung weight. that will effect handling and driving dynamics more than overall weight.
nobody is going to do a clean cut head to head unless they pay for it out of there own pocket. Traxxas has never supported putting there stuff in competition in head to head competitions/comparisons. give it time and im sure several youtubers will do biased videos but those are about as close as we'll get.
Old 05-03-2024, 05:32 PM
Tech Regular

I stand by what I said. Equal power and the Traxxas makes the Losi look silly. There's also more to it than out of the box power, which is why I say the Traxxas is a Losi killer. The build quality of the Traxxas will be better, the electronics won't burn out like the Losi electronics do, and it has a lower price point which makes it a much better value than the Losi and when you throw that $80 into upgrades for the Traxxas it's just an all around win. For $270 it better come with brushless if it's a Mini/Micro.

This video has convinced me that for $300 I can have an RC that will be an absolute blast. $30 more than the Losi and you get a ripper. TRX4M MT Furitek Build
Old 05-03-2024, 06:09 PM
Tech Regular

Can the Losi 1/18th LMT crawl? In this video the Traxxas looks like it has plenty of power on the Monster Truck course, the Losi could be a bit overpowered on that course. Looks like a pretty awesome facility in the video as well.

Oval RC Review

I think the Traxxas TRX4MT will be a lot more fun on the trail as well. The Traxxas in my eyes appears to be a lot more versatile, which to me makes it a better value. Like I keep saying, Losi killer.
Old 05-04-2024, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MULMZ2
The build quality of the Traxxas will be better
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! traxxas? quality? im sorry i have to go change my shorts i just pissed myself laughing

Can the Losi 1/18th LMT crawl? In this video the Traxxas looks like it has plenty of power on the Monster Truck course, the Losi could be a bit overpowered on that course. Looks like a pretty awesome facility in the video as well.

Oval RC Review

I think the Traxxas TRX4MT will be a lot more fun on the trail as well. The Traxxas in my eyes appears to be a lot more versatile, which to me makes it a better value. Like I keep saying, Losi killer.
sense monster trucks dont crawl im guessing no the losi doesnt do that, it has no need to. the traxxas having a crawling feature just shows that its nothing but a rehashed trail truck rather than a full monster. or maybe it was intentionally left on there as a gimmick to amuse dumb people

im betting more mt racers chose the losi and bashers end up close to 50/50 with most wanting the losi but settling for the traxxas only to put a grave digger body on it
Old 05-04-2024, 04:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Disgruntled_RC
or maybe it was intentionally left on there as a gimmick to amuse dumb people
Actually Traxxas more than likely used the same ESC as their 1/18th crawler to keep costs down. Traxxas also probably didn't bother making it quick enough to be fun for experienced hobbyists, because they know those people will just wind up sticking a brushless motor in it or buying a quicker brushed motor for $20-30.

The hate for Traxxas on this site is hilarious and it's probably time to let it go. Traxxas has the biggest outreach, most dedicated buyers, and probably sells the most product by a large margin. Instead of bad mouthing them you should be thanking them for making product that people enjoy, because that's the only way this hobby stays alive, product being sold and new blood. Traxxas brings them in and keeps selling to them. Traxxas has 520k followers on Facebook, Losi 102k. It's not even close.

Most people bash, most people don't race, so most people are probably going to purchase something that they can get the most use out of. Insulting these people doesn't help the hobby and insulting these people is one reason why people don't visit this site like they used to. Insulting these people is probably why a lot of them won't even consider racing, who wants to deal with bad attitudes.

Now that there are 2 1/18th Monsters we will see which one racers gravitate towards and my bet is you're wrong. I say racers are going to lean towards the Traxxas, because it's a half a pound lighter, there are several different brushless options, several brushed options, it has a lower center of gravity, since the TRX4M platform has been around a while longer there is currently more part support, and the TRX4 MT is $80 cheaper and will need a lot less to make it compete.

You laugh at Traxxas build quality, but in my opinion it is head and shoulders above what Losi and Horizon Hobby puts out. In my recent experience Losi's are so sloppy out of the box and need a complete tear down to fix the poor build quality (too much grease in the gear box, poorly built shocks, crappy electronics that burn out, etc...). By the time I'm done with my SCX24 based Monster the only stock parts that will be left are the Trans and Diff housings and my SCX24 crawler was no different, the stock parts are worthless crap and need to be replaced. If I kept my Losi Mini's both of them would have had virtually every part replaced. The Losi Mini's need all of the parts replaced for them to be worthwhile, I'm sure the 1/18th LMT is no different. Traxxas products work outstanding right out of the box.

The TRX4MT is going to sell like hotcakes once the YouTube videos showing this thing with a brushless installed start popping up.
abailey21 likes this.

Last edited by MULMZ2; 05-04-2024 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:16 PM
Tech Regular

After watching this video, Brushless TRX4MT, it is clear that when a significant amount of power is applied the Traxxas is a handful and out of the box I was wrong, the Losi is the better MT. I think that video also shows that Traxxas completely blew it when it comes to the motor they decided to release the TRX4MT with, because it does look like a lot of fun once it has some power.

I still say with a little love the TRX4MT will best the Losi. I think the perfect motor for the stock axles would be a MoFo TorqueBeast and I think a set of speed gears may be needed as well.

The first thing I'd do to the TRX4MT is purchase wider axles. I think that would go a long way in helping it stay on it's wheels with brushless power.

Hop ups that I feel would fix what Traxxas overlooked, 3 link rear and an open diif (RCAWD makes one for the TRX4M, but doesn't sell it separately). It would have been nice if Traxxas took a little more time and threw a little more money at development and included those parts to begin with, they also should have released the MT with wider axles, which by the way are made in plastic and are available on Banggood complete for $13.

Last edited by MULMZ2; 05-08-2024 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-09-2024, 05:59 PM
Tech Adept

im not surprised by this, this is typical. on paper it sounds good and gets people riled up. in reality it falls short in more ways than infinity. then buyers/fanboys spend spend spend until they can finally convince themselves its great and then won't shut up about how great it is. theres a reason full metal maxxes exist and why the term is used derogatorily. this has literally been traxxas business plan sense at least 1994. its why they lead the way in aftermarket support. for some companys the aftermarket is optional, for traxxas its required. with this truck youre going to spend losi money, or more, to get losi performance
Old 05-10-2024, 10:05 AM
Tech Regular

im not surprised by this...
After my experience with Losi and Axial, I have wised up and if I see a Mini or Micro I want that I think appears to be a good platform, I'll scratch build it, it's a lot cheaper this way and there is a lot less waste. Most of those things need some type of upgrade in my opinion and I always ditch the stock electronics, so what's the point of buying an RTR. At this time the only Micro/Mini's I would buy complete are Mini-Z's and any kit from LC Racing.

After further consideration, I think the price point of the TRX4MT is too high. The TRX4MT in it's current state should cost no more than a High Trail. For $199.99 it should have come with bearings, wider axles, open diffs, and a much better motor, it's beyond stupid that it didn't, but when it comes to lack of bearings at least Traxxas didn't pull what AE just did with the RC10 re-release. $380 for a retro kit and no bearings is pretty f'n lame if you ask me. Yes I know it's a retro, but we aren't living in the past, modernize like Kyosho did with their retros.

If I wind up with a TRX4MT it will be one built from scratch and I won't be using a Traxxas as a donor, I'll be using an AuStar AX8560 if I decide to not piece it together. They are half the price of the TRX4M's, they come with bearings, a bigger motor, and I believe they also have wider axles. You don't need to buy a Traxxas and won't be supporting Traxxas, but you can still take advantage of the platform and the hopups made for the TRX4M's, but personally I think building a Traxxas based MT is pointless until someone figures out that the FMS and Traxxas diffs are similar and they make a diff that combines the FMS pumpkin and wider Traxxas based straight axles (this is pretty much what RCAWD did, but their axles are portals).

At this time, I'm going to scratch build a FMS Lemur. Open diffs, 2 Speed Transmission, and it will cost about the same fully hoped up as a TRX4MT.

Having said all that, I still say the TRX4MT is a Losi killer, because it's cheaper and I think it's going to move more units.
Old 05-10-2024, 10:54 AM
Tech Regular

I contacted Traxxas Tech Support several days ago and asked them if a 50T PN Motor would burn out the ESC in the TRX4MT. Their response was, engineering does not provide that information to the public. Really, WTF Traxxas?

I responded and asked them for a TRX4MT, so I could find out for myself and inform the public, because in my opinion knowing the motor limit of an ESC is pretty important information and I'm not spending $200 to burn something out that I can't have replaced under warranty. Did I expect them to send me a free truck, not at all, but I did not expect the response they gave me.

Traxxas told me via e-mail, I'll screen shot and share it if that's allowed here, that they only send demo vehicles to Magazine Publishers (quick name me 3 RC mags you see on Newsstands in Grocery Stores, CVS, Liquor Stores, etc...), yet on the day Traxxas gave the ok for YouTube videos to be released almost every single YouTuber had not one, but two TRX4MT's. Does Traxxas make YouTubers buy their product, which I have no problem with or does Traxxas think it's ok to lie to customers, which to me is not the way to treat a customer. A simple no would have been 100x better than some BS more than likely scripted response. That reply gave me the impression that Traxxas has zero respect for their customer base and may even think they are stupid. That reply is why I now say save yourself a lot of dough and if you want a 1/10 TRX4 buy a Beluga and if you want a 1/18 TRX4 buy an AX8560.
Old 05-12-2024, 01:11 PM
Tech Adept

After my experience with Losi and Axial, I have wised up and if I see a Mini or Micro I want that I think appears to be a good platform, I'll scratch build it, it's a lot cheaper this way and there is a lot less waste. Most of those things need some type of upgrade in my opinion and I always ditch the stock electronics, so what's the point of buying an RTR. At this time the only Micro/Mini's I would buy complete are Mini-Z's and any kit from LC Racing.

After further consideration, I think the price point of the TRX4MT is too high. The TRX4MT in it's current state should cost no more than a High Trail. For $199.99 it should have come with bearings, wider axles, open diffs, and a much better motor, it's beyond stupid that it didn't, but when it comes to lack of bearings at least Traxxas didn't pull what AE just did with the RC10 re-release. $380 for a retro kit and no bearings is pretty f'n lame if you ask me. Yes I know it's a retro, but we aren't living in the past, modernize like Kyosho did with their retros.

If I wind up with a TRX4MT it will be one built from scratch and I won't be using a Traxxas as a donor, I'll be using an AuStar AX8560 if I decide to not piece it together. They are half the price of the TRX4M's, they come with bearings, a bigger motor, and I believe they also have wider axles. You don't need to buy a Traxxas and won't be supporting Traxxas, but you can still take advantage of the platform and the hopups made for the TRX4M's, but personally I think building a Traxxas based MT is pointless until someone figures out that the FMS and Traxxas diffs are similar and they make a diff that combines the FMS pumpkin and wider Traxxas based straight axles (this is pretty much what RCAWD did, but their axles are portals).

At this time, I'm going to scratch build a FMS Lemur. Open diffs, 2 Speed Transmission, and it will cost about the same fully hoped up as a TRX4MT.

Having said all that, I still say the TRX4MT is a Losi killer, because it's cheaper and I think it's going to move more units.
mini/micro rc's are never equipped very well and quality is always questionable. the size causes issues with tolerances. most of them are closer to a novelty than a hobby grade rc
the associated was never mint to be a built and used. it's a collectors item mint to stay in the box and get put on a shelf, or be built, painted as box art and put on a shelf. maybe 1 in 100 will actually get driven, lightly. lets call it what it is, a cash grab

I contacted Traxxas Tech Support several days ago and asked them if a 50T PN Motor would burn out the ESC in the TRX4MT. Their response was, engineering does not provide that information to the public. Really, WTF Traxxas?

I responded and asked them for a TRX4MT, so I could find out for myself and inform the public, because in my opinion knowing the motor limit of an ESC is pretty important information and I'm not spending $200 to burn something out that I can't have replaced under warranty. Did I expect them to send me a free truck, not at all, but I did not expect the response they gave me.

Traxxas told me via e-mail, I'll screen shot and share it if that's allowed here, that they only send demo vehicles to Magazine Publishers (quick name me 3 RC mags you see on Newsstands in Grocery Stores, CVS, Liquor Stores, etc...), yet on the day Traxxas gave the ok for YouTube videos to be released almost every single YouTuber had not one, but two TRX4MT's. Does Traxxas make YouTubers buy their product, which I have no problem with or does Traxxas think it's ok to lie to customers, which to me is not the way to treat a customer. A simple no would have been 100x better than some BS more than likely scripted response. That reply gave me the impression that Traxxas has zero respect for their customer base and may even think they are stupid. That reply is why I now say save yourself a lot of dough and if you want a 1/10 TRX4 buy a Beluga and if you want a 1/18 TRX4 buy an AX8560.
it's not just traxxas, all manufactures do something along those lines. ether sell cheaply, or give media cars to influencers as part of the advertising for the car. iv heard sometimes those influencers have to give the cars back after theyre done filming. idk how traxxas or any other rc manufacture does it, but iv heard in full scale cars sometimes influencers/media outlets have to rent those media cars
Old 05-12-2024, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

mini/micro rc's are never equipped very well and quality is always questionable. the size causes issues with tolerances.
I don't remember the original Mini's being all that bad (I had the original Mini-T, RC18, Kyosho Inferno, X-Ray Micro Touring, HPI Mini RS4, and the Duratrax buggy) and from what I've read the LC Racing kits are pretty solid. I also understand that every RTR is going to benefit from upgrades, but when you have to change every part out to get it to where you want it, no thanks.

...lets call it what it is, a cash grab
Sad if most of them wind up on the shelf and yeah at the price point, it's a cash grab. I'd love to have one to use, but not at that price point. At that price point I'm buying a Kyosho Optima Mid.

It's not just traxxas, all manufactures do something along those lines. ether sell cheaply, or give media cars to influencers...
Yeah, I know they all give cars to YouTubers to review and we all know they do, which is why I did not appreciate Traxxas' response. It would be nice to know who's paying, who's getting things gratis, and who has to send stuff back. To be honest I don't pay attention to most YouTubers, since most of them appear to be getting free product and most don't really talk about the downsides. I've watched a few Razor RC reviews and would have to say his are the best since he shows the vehicle being tested getting the living snot beat out of it. I only watch YouTube review videos to get a sense of what the RC I'm interested in looks like under power.

Watching a video showing a brushless powered TRX4MT convinced me that, as much as I want to love it, the TRX4MT has too many shortcomings and my money would be better spend building something else from scratch. I've seen people mixing and matching FMS and TRX4M parts and may consider scratch building a 1/18th MT down the line, but no way am I spending $200 on one.

Last edited by MULMZ2; 05-12-2024 at 04:51 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.