Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By BoxxerBoyDrew

Best mini z to start off racing.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 12:32 PM
Tech Regular

Default Best mini z to start off racing.

My son asked for a mini z and racing. I dont want to get him a box stock. Which kits are best that come some what modded. ?

i rather buy a kit that comes with upgraded parts as a rtr usually cost more on the long run after upgrades

i was told its best to go rwd rather than awd for racing. Is that the case ?
Old 12-16-2023, 01:09 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

RWD is more popular for racing. Before buying anything I’d check with where you’d be racing at for what classes they run.

Typically, the RTRs are run in box stock class. After that the classes can vary greatly from track to track
Old 12-18-2023, 08:32 AM
Tech Regular

As Billy said most of the racing is RWD, at least on RCP tracks in the US. I started in Mini Z racing around 2 years ago with a RTR MR03 and a Mini96 RCP track, and it is unlike any other racing I have done. I mainly raced Dirt Oval Stadium Trucks and Offroad both electric and Nitro, and even at the speed and power of nitro, the Mini Zs take a lot of concentration and good hand eye coordination compared to the larger scales.
A lot depends on where yall are going to drive. A track at home is AWESOME to have, as TINY adjustments make HUGE impacts to the car at this scale, and it allows practice without others to worry about. RTR cars are good get you started and the MR03 RTR with a Disk Damper setup, tires, front springs, and a few T plates will get yall up and running at a minimal cost. And if Yall like it, the RTR will still be able to run in a different class when you upgrade to different cars. The Mini96 track is awesome, but it is TIGHT running and it's a steep learning curve. If you have access to a full size track learning is supposed to be easier, I've only run on the Mini96 and after 2 years I have 2 MR03s and a PN2.5W and I'm an OK driver and run in The Mini96WC and have a blast doing it, although it can be frustrating.
Drifting is also popular, and that it is usually run with AWD, and can be done on most slick floors from what I've read. I ran my RWD of my wood floors for a few weeks while waiting on my Mini96 to arrive, and it is a night and day difference. They come to life on RCP! I haven't gone to a true 1/28th scale pan car like the GL, as I still hit the walls pretty regular, and I like the forgiveness of the plastic of the MR03.
If you have a track close I would go and talk to the Owner as they are usually very helpful on getting you started. Every track will usually have their own classes and rules. If you check the MINI96WC thread, the first page has the rules and classes, and it can give you a starting place. If you decide on a home track be sure to check around for the best cost on shipping cause you can save serious cash if you can find free shipping. I got mine during the lockdown and paid $150 in shipping, but no one else had them in stock at the time. Now they are usually pretty easy to find.
There are some Mini-Z gurus here on RC Tech, and they have been pivotal in getting me up and going. So holler with any questions and someone can usually help you out!
Hope this helps! Take Care and Happy Holidays! Drew
Billy Kelly and nielsm like this.
Old 12-18-2023, 03:32 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

AWD Mini-Z is hardly raced, AWD is generally an open modified class where the purpose built AWD micro touring cars are the cars to run in that class.

Mini-Z classes are typically broken down into two classes on a national level. Box Stock (RTR RWD with stock remote and a handful of option parts), and EVO/PN based cars which are brushless with 3500 motors. Some local clubs follow AAA cars more, but on a national level anything beyond AAA stock is LiPo based and run on purpose built cars by Reflex, GL, MWX, RTRC and Atomic. There is a considerable performance difference between the bottom level lipo cars and the AAA stock class cars.

So definitely figure out where you would want to race, and speak with the guys there to see what classes they run and what would best fit. Some locations, box stock is the biggest class, others its non existent. Box Stock generally speaking is a great learning class because it is restrictive in equipment so you cant buy performance. You have to earn it by driving and ensuring that the equipment performs as it should. As you move up in class, equipment starts to mean more, and how you tune it for your driving. Trying to learn racecraft and tuning together is pretty difficult because you dont know what you are after in setup... The two most important things to learn in box stock is tires, and driving!
Old 12-27-2023, 02:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Here in the northwest, box stock MR-03 is king. Rules vary by site on mods and classing, but for the most part, the box stock cars can outperform the drivers at the wheel, leaving little need to go faster. The EVO racers (brushless) are quite smooth and pair with computer radios, so that's the big upgrade, but the divisions are always much smaller. Everybody runs stock class, even if they run a racer class on the side. Upgrade the car beyond Kyosho tuning parts and you'll outclass quickly. Racing is better in the field than it is alone in a class you created for yourself with too many hop-ups. Like I said, the cars are plenty fast out of the box for most drivers. All you really need is a decent charger, batteries, and lots of tires to swap in for the handling you want for the track that you determine during warm-up.
Old 12-28-2023, 10:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Agreed. I checked with local tracks by me here in the northeast & the most popular classes are Box Stock or Stock. There are a handful of racers running the more advanced classes and often not enough to field a race, so if you want to compete, it’s better with the ReadySets.

I got a RCP Mini96 track with some MR03 RTR cars for my kids & I to practice at home for Christmas. I added the EasyLaps timing system so we could track laps/timing. My kids (5 & 8) still have trouble getting around the track in training mode as the track width is quite narrow. With the default layout, there are 5 hairpins and and two 90 degree turns. I’ve turned off the training mode on mine, but still can hit the walls every once in a while when I push it. I can consistently do 7-8 second laps without crashing, but pushing it, I’ve gotten as fast as mid to high 5 seconds. Even with the brushed motor, I’m never hitting full throttle as I’m thru the straight as soon as I do hit it. If you think about it, with brushed, I’ve got less than 1 second between turns on a fast lap. Brushless on this size track would be pointless.

While most club tracks use the wider 50cm tiles vs the 30cm on the Mini96 most near me seem to be simpler layouts and max length is no more than my Mini96. I still think the brushed will be plenty fast for a while on a larger track unless it also had really long straights. Worst case, you get a ReadySet to start with Box Stock/Stock and then get a EVO later. You can then run in multiple classes.

Originally Posted by Pontiac428
Here in the northwest, box stock MR-03 is king. Rules vary by site on mods and classing, but for the most part, the box stock cars can outperform the drivers at the wheel, leaving little need to go faster. The EVO racers (brushless) are quite smooth and pair with computer radios, so that's the big upgrade, but the divisions are always much smaller. Everybody runs stock class, even if they run a racer class on the side. Upgrade the car beyond Kyosho tuning parts and you'll outclass quickly. Racing is better in the field than it is alone in a class you created for yourself with too many hop-ups. Like I said, the cars are plenty fast out of the box for most drivers. All you really need is a decent charger, batteries, and lots of tires to swap in for the handling you want for the track that you determine during warm-up.
Old 01-05-2024, 08:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Welcome to a world of fun, As most already said i would just get a Box stock Ready to run RWD car that you like the looks of, if you plan to run at a local track go there and check it out talk to the store owner and or the folks there, you will find most folks in the hobby are super nice and willing to give you info.. I have never done the mini z thing myself, 44 years on this earth and i have driven just about everything RC but just never really looked into the Mini Z cars, well a buddy called me one day about a month ago and said he was going to be putting in a mini z track in his basement and i guess a day or so later i ordered my first car. The Yellow Corvette, Ordered some rechargeable battery's, then i ended up ordering some foam tiles and had decided to build my own smaller track at home.. I ordered my wife the Roadster car and more battery's for her. i ended up getting some pool noodles and built our own track and we have had so so much fun.. Who knew you could actually run RC cars in your house in the warm w/o the need to go outdoors.. I still much enjoy going to my buddy's and running on his RCP mini 96 track with a expansion pack cause of it being so much bigger something like 16x16 foot compared to our small 8x8foot but its all fun...

These cars are FAST!!! for the size of them they really move just being brushed.. I first questioned them but once I ran i quickly found out.. I can't even imagine running a brush less one right now on even his track.Suppose to be going to another guys house tomorrow who has a track and hosts races. Going to mostly check out his track and the people who are there, see what they are running, not sure i will race or not. As I feel i need more track time on my buddy's track to get faster. so far on his i run about 7.2 and the other two guys can get down to 5.3 so i have more practice to do. Learn to drive the car lot of laps to get faster.