Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

GL Racing GLA-Guilia!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 12:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default GL Racing GLA-Guilia!

Anyone else think this thing looks awesome? On first glance there's a lot to this kit that appeals to me, but I'm curious about the 102mm wheelbase choice. Any GLA fans out there want to weigh in on if this version addresses issues from the previous ones?

The instructions also teased a whole smorgasbord of shiny blue anodized parts, which I have to admit is more my colour than Atomic red or gold.

Last edited by teh_fox_king; 05-14-2022 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

There are a lot of things I like about the car. I just wish it was 98mm
Old 05-14-2022, 09:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Kremzeek
There are a lot of things I like about the car. I just wish it was 98mm
Yeah, I'm curious if they're going to release an upgrade or conversion for 98mm. I checked the manual and the chassis and the suspension all appear to be fixed at the 102mm mark with no other mounting slots or options.
Old 05-15-2022, 04:06 AM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Looking at the design, there are many things that I do like. Access to the diffs without needing to remove upper deck (from front and rear). Dual bell crank (which is why I believe it is a 102 limited car to make space). 64p gearing on the main gears. There are other places where I feel that it is refinement on the design, and not complete upgrades, like the stock front knuckle having separate ball studs unlike the GLA requiring the alu knuckle to get that.

The front bumper/body mount will not accept Kyosho style body clips, so this is a negative for those who have thought about using LM bodies on the car.

We have been discussing locally, and have not come to agreement whether 102mm would be permissible for club racing. Since we run at a large track, it may present too much advantage. We are also thinking about how we could get the 64p gears and double bell crank with saver onto the 98mm GLA chassis, or convert the Giulia chassis to 98 with a GLA shaft and shorter chassis. If any conversion would be developed, the goal would be fewest pieces needed... I would rather update the GLA to include the Giulia parts than the other way, as there are MANY GLA out in the wild who would want the update. The weakest link for the GLA has been the servo saver, many run without one, and just the alu servo horn. It works, until it doesnt.
NutDriver and teh_fox_king like this.
Old 05-15-2022, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

Yeah, I'm pretty sure its the dual bell crank that pushed it to 102mm. It would be nice if they released a version with the old style steering that had a shorter wheelbase.

I didn't know that it couldn't be used with Kyosho bodies. Then again, most people run their GLA's with lexan anyway.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by EMU
The weakest link for the GLA has been the servo saver, many run without one, and just the alu servo horn. It works, until it doesnt.
Is that an issue that persisted into the v2.1 or is that the issue that they tried to correct by updating the servo mount and servo saver? I'd also be curious if clubs bump up the wheelbase from 98mm to 102mm to allow this kit, as far as I know, the only way you'd be able to run it with the most common rules would be as an open class and not every club has the interest or the time to run open.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:22 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Originally Posted by teh_fox_king
Is that an issue that persisted into the v2.1 or is that the issue that they tried to correct by updating the servo mount and servo saver? I'd also be curious if clubs bump up the wheelbase from 98mm to 102mm to allow this kit, as far as I know, the only way you'd be able to run it with the most common rules would be as an open class and not every club has the interest or the time to run open.
The design on the servo saver on v1 - 2.1 is the same, as is the GLR. They all use the C spring over both plastic parts. On GLA, only the spline changed for the different servo type. The saver can work ok, if built with diligence and being sure not to round out the nubs which the spring centers. However, if you use wider offset wheels, the nub can just sheer off in a big hit. The saver does the job, the servo is saved, but will take it out of service. If both halves of the saver were aluminum, that would alleviate a lot of the issues with building and use...

My opinion is that the dual bell cranks are a major draw for the car... and if you omit it to stay at 98mm, the upgrades to the car dont warrant an entirely new car. The dual bell crank is the best thing that it has going for it, much like the SZ2 having the center differential. Those are the reasons to use those cars over the others... I do think that there is a possibility flipping the servo so that the horn is outboard, and running a long link behind the horn to the crank, which may provide enough clearance to run the dual crank at 98mm... so, we will need to see if there is enough clearance, and if its plausible... then see what would be needed to make a conversion for the GLA or Giulia to make it 98mm. If the GLA driveshaft can be used in Giulia, and all that would be needed is a new upper deck, and main chassis to make it 98mm... that may be an avenue that we will pursue. The same is being considered for the GLA, to bring it up to date somewhat.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by EMU
The design on the servo saver on v1 - 2.1 is the same, as is the GLR. They all use the C spring over both plastic parts. On GLA, only the spline changed for the different servo type. The saver can work ok, if built with diligence and being sure not to round out the nubs which the spring centers. However, if you use wider offset wheels, the nub can just sheer off in a big hit. The saver does the job, the servo is saved, but will take it out of service. If both halves of the saver were aluminum, that would alleviate a lot of the issues with building and use...
I was roaming through the atomic upgrades the other day and had a thought. Is this something that could be mitigated by using the new MRT/Z servo saver? I don't know if the splines are the same across the gl servos and atomic servos though, but it is all metal, a spring type saver, and has a little more length than the gl saver. Anyone think this is worth a shot?
Old 05-21-2022, 04:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by teh_fox_king
I was roaming through the atomic upgrades the other day and had a thought. Is this something that could be mitigated by using the new MRT/Z servo saver? I don't know if the splines are the same across the gl servos and atomic servos though, but it is all metal, a spring type saver, and has a little more length than the gl saver. Anyone think this is worth a shot?
Someone on FB tried this and, if I remember right, the servo saver stuck out so far that it interfered with the steering links.
EMU likes this.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Kremzeek
Someone on FB tried this and, if I remember right, the servo saver stuck out so far that it interfered with the steering links.
Ha, well shoot.
Old 10-07-2022, 06:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Anyone been able to put some laps in with a Guilia in a race format? Be interested to hear how they've stood up to the tuned and tried kits that are on the circuits competing against them.

Last edited by teh_fox_king; 10-09-2022 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-12-2022, 04:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

98mm conversion!!!

https://www.minircplanet.com/product...-brass-chassis

Old 02-09-2023, 09:33 AM
Tech Initiate

The official 98mm conversion kit by GL was released by the way.
Old 06-12-2023, 04:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Got a question regarding the ESC-2s lipo battery connection.

For the Giulia ESC (GL-SD-ESC-020T-WC), compared to the GLR-GT ESC (GL-GT-S-036) which is 3 pronged/3 wires, the Giulia ESC is only 2 pronged/2 wires. Is it not necessary to have the 3rd prong connected to the ESC for thermal monitoring, or is it only really needed when the battery is connected to the charger? Is there no need for the ESC to detect and protect the battery? Sorry, my battery/electronics knowledge is rather limited.Just curious why some of the ESCs are built differently. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by magnumcyclonex; 06-12-2023 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-12-2023, 05:19 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Only the two outer wires are used on both ESCs to run the full voltage of the pack. The middle wire is for balancing, and not used on the discharge. Since we prefer packs with only one lead in this scale, the 3 pin connector is commonplace for charge, but not entirely necessary for the ESC. There are some batteries with two leads, one 2 pin and the 3 pin for balance... but we don't like the added mass for no benefit in performance.
magnumcyclonex likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.