Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree28Likes

Nano 1/64 pan car

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 12:10 PM
Tech Regular

Default Nano 1/64 pan car

Hey guys, Thought id share this little project I've been working on. It's always been an idea in my head to build a 1/12 scale style pan car but in 1/64 form. With current 3D printing and electronics packages widely available I think this is finally a possibility. I got to work on Solidworks and started laying everything out. Here is the final chassis designed up in 3D.

I've also got some work into designing a track, going off what Rcp does for mini-z I grabbed some exercise matts and EVA foam to give me a 4'x6' layout that fits perfectly in a small room.

I currently have all the electronics, just waiting on the parts to be printed. Let me know what you think!
Old 03-03-2022, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

very nice man!
Jonnywachter likes this.
Old 03-03-2022, 05:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Can’t wait to see this,nice job!
Old 03-06-2022, 06:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Plans for a diff?
Old 03-07-2022, 10:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cdog4w
Plans for a diff?
At this point, I'm just trying out the concept and will see how it works. A diff might be possible but it's a very small space to work with. Initially, I designed this chassis to be cheap and easy to build so I can see how the electronics and power package hold up. Once I figure out all that ill dive more into the tuning features of the chassis.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Would definitely want one for rainy days
Old 03-07-2022, 10:53 PM
Tech Regular

AWESOME!!! Can't wait to see it!
Old 03-12-2022, 06:12 PM
Tech Regular

Got the chassis parts today. This thing is so tiny, I had to put a Hotwheels next to it for scale. I'm still waiting on hardware, so once I get that ill be able to build it up. I have also got most of the track done, I'm waiting on more screws to be printed up to get the rest of the infield secured down. I put a couple of the dummy bodies I had printed up to get an idea of the scale on the track. Seems like this might actually be drivable and a decent bit of fun. I'm still waiting on the body from shapeways, they keep giving me trouble with the geometry being "weak" so I keep making changes, its just a slow process with them I guess. I might have to just invest in my own SLA printer.

Poor_Boy, 2wdMod, Jeff D. and 1 others like this.
Old 03-17-2022, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

I cant wait to see this little dude doing laps!! I just finished a 1/36 pan car build myself..
Old 03-21-2022, 02:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
I cant wait to see this little dude doing laps!! I just finished a 1/36 pan car build myself..
that's cool! I saw that on your thread. I watched the video you made about it and you mention making your own tires. I think I might need to go this route for this car. Have you made any videos or threads about this process? id like to learn!
Old 03-21-2022, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jonnywachter
that's cool! I saw that on your thread. I watched the video you made about it and you mention making your own tires. I think I might need to go this route for this car. Have you made any videos or threads about this process? id like to learn!
check out the thread here on RCtech in the 3d printing forum called "making tires with 3d printed molds" Nick does a good job of covering all the basics in his videos.,
but honestly at this scale I bet you could use HO scale gel slot car tires like for the tycos , auroras and lifelike sets..
Old 03-21-2022, 05:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
check out the thread here on RCtech in the 3d printing forum called "making tires with 3d printed molds" Nick does a good job of covering all the basics in his videos.,
but honestly at this scale I bet you could use HO scale gel slot car tires like for the tycos , auroras and lifelike sets..
I wish it was that easy. The HO scale tires have a much smaller rim, I haven’t found anything with measurements that tells me the ID so it hard to find stuff. Originally I was going to use some foam tires I found that have the right ID and just true them down but that was harder than expected.
Old 03-21-2022, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

Gotcha!! well if your going to pretty much be stuck making tires heres my method
Old 03-22-2022, 08:34 AM
Tech Regular

Thank you for sharing the video, seems easy enough I think ill give it a try!
2wdMod likes this.
Old 04-10-2022, 03:44 PM
Tech Regular

Well here's the outcome of a week of 3d printing and adjusting everything to make it all jive together. I decided to purchase a printer because I knew id be going through a bunch of trial testing to see how well the parts would work. I've also completely changed the front end to use mini-z style sliding rack to get the correct acremen angle and the rear end now has a ball differential. I'm really happy with this design and its pretty easy to put together. I'm really happy with the quality of the parts and the material seems to be pretty stout. Just waiting on some 2x5mm ball bearings and ill be able to drive it!

xl-racing and EMU like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.