Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1022Likes

Mini-96 World Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 08:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Glad you're enjoying the new layout BBD! I don't use the pure silver brushes (just stock carbon silver) in my PN70T, but my understanding is they are softer than stock, so you may have worn one down too much during break-in. Glad you got the problem figured out and fixed. I had a similar issue with the stock Kyosho motor in my Box Stock NSX last month, and could tell by looking through the peep holes that the brushes were worn, so I decided to open it up to see. Not only were the brushes completely gone, but the brush arms were also worn down and had cut deep grooves in the comm What was sad is that it was one of my newest motors, only 1 year old, but it did have lots of laps on it. Some of my other Kyosho stock motors are 10+ years old and still running strong. After that discovery, I inspected the brushes on all my Kyosho and PN70T motors.

I just replaced the W0 Marka V1R15 on the rear of the Miata with N0 PN KS Softs, and after only 3 tries, I was able to beat my best previous run with the wide rears, so I agree, the MX-5 runs great on both Narrow and Wide rears with no setup changes.

If you had wheel rub with W0 on the MX-5 it may be from the Nexx RM pod. I had that issue on my 911 GT3 which runs that pod and I discovered that the Nexx pod's tolerances are a bit off. With a non-Nexx MM t-plate, the rear axle sits a hair forward (the Nexx MM t-plates are less than 1 mm longer than stock) and I had wheel rub on one side of the GT-3 because I don't think the Nexx RM pod is perfectly centered. It may also be a smidge wider than stock, but don't recall. Will upload some pics when I find them. Added pic. This is when I was running the RM Square mount. You can see the right wheel protrudes more than the left wheel while using this mount. I believe its the same with the Nexx RM Round motor mount.

BoxxerBoyDrew likes this.

Last edited by Traveler2; 03-12-2024 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-12-2024, 12:28 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info and help T2!
I was careful when I broke it in checking it every few minutes, and at 10 minutes the high points on the PN brushes were flat and the brushes were just starting to take the shape of the com down the whole brush.
But It had to be bad from the start, as it was always slower than my Box Stock chassis while being geared 10/53, so I thought I screwed up a setting in the ICS or even worse I had gotten a bad board! So a few dollars worth of brushes is a cheap fix. I'll just make sure to get the hardest they have.
I'll really look at the Nexx pod and see how it centers up. I'm good running -1W rear wheels, it's just the lack of availability and choices that sux. I like the look of the Reflex Speed Wheels, but they usually only have the Grey instock, and I like the PN Fluro yellow BBS wheels as I can see them well!
This new layout is challenging in a different way as the last, and while they are both FUN, this layout challenges my steering control much more. I WISH I had more room so I could try some of the long layouts. I've tried to talk the Wife into letting me turn our 3 bedroom into a 2 bedroom since our Son is grown, but I don't get too far with that conversation!
Anyway THANKS AGAIN for all the help!!! Drew
Old 03-14-2024, 04:02 PM
Tech Regular

Well I put my MX-5 body on my 90mm brushless chassis (3500Kv Rocket) and it's quick! Geared at 10/53 with the throttle at 96% on the radio I was able to run 40 lap practice stent with a fast lap of 3.751 seconds and avg. of 4.2 with 2 bad laps where I tipped the car on it's side rubbing an inside rail. Going to try times with -1mmW rears and see what the clock says.
Have Fun and Drive Fast! Drew
Old 03-14-2024, 06:05 PM
Tech Addict

That’s a lot of motor for such a light body. On my 3500 cars I run 12/53 on the 98mm and 13/53 on the RM 90mm GT3. On the Kyohso 4100 cars I run 10/44 which is real close to a 12/53. Try gearing up a little. Makes them a little easier to drive on the M96.

Last edited by Traveler2; 03-14-2024 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-15-2024, 01:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Traveler2
That’s a lot of motor for such a light body. On my 3500 cars I run 12/53 on the 98mm and 13/53 on the RM 90mm GT3. On the Kyohso 4100 cars I run 10/44 which is real close to a 12/53. Try gearing up a little. Makes them a little easier to drive on the M96.
Thanks for the help T2!!! I found a 13 and 14t pinions, so I put the 14 on the 3500kv MX-5, and the 13 on the 70T w/ the 911 Gt3. It took me a minute to get what you were saying about gearing up. The cars are quite a bit faster, but when you reduce the throttle d/r to limit speed it reduces the power you put down in the turns, making the car more controllable. I couldn't run the timing software as it's 3am and hooking it up makes too much noise, and the track is in the room next to my sleeping Wife! It seems faster but NextLevel will tell me 4 sure this afternoon. I'm going to keep looking, because I should have at least 1-12t pinion. I checked the temp of the motors after each run and they were within a few degrees of normal, but you really can't check the board for temp. Should I worry about gearing with bigger pinions and board temps/stress?
Thanks Again! Drew

Last edited by BoxxerBoyDrew; 03-15-2024 at 03:01 AM.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:13 AM
Tech Addict

You don’t need to worry about the EVO boards. I’ve run a brushed 27T motor on a stock EVO board with no issues and the brushless motors are a lot more efficient. But you do need to worry about pulling too much current through the white antenna FHSS boards, so those you don’t want to run anything more than a PN70T or too much gear. On my bushing PN70T car for the Challenge which is ASF and more stout than FHSS I run a 10/54. If you’re running the ball bearing 70T version, you can go up a tooth or 2 on the pinion. The idea is to avoid too much low end power which can cause wheel-spin and make the car more squirrelly and harder to get on power smoothly. The added top end is just a bonus if you can make use of it.
Old 03-15-2024, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

Cool Deal! I will keep my 03 RTR as a Box Stock from now on, so I shouldn't have a problem there.
Now i just have to keep the shiny side up!
Thanks Again! Drew
Traveler2 likes this.
Old 03-18-2024, 07:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Traveler2
This car is a hoot to drive! Very light, quick and nimble, but also very stable and predictable. I've already gone sub 5 minutes with it on the new layout. Not sure what class I’ll run it in, because it doesn’t fit into the Narrow or Porsche Cup classes as currently configured. Maybe we need a new Miata class?
Mine will be here tomorrow!
Traveler2 and BoxxerBoyDrew like this.
Old 03-20-2024, 10:14 AM
Tech Regular

Well I got my Reflex Speed Dish Wheels in from Wolfram, and I like the wheels, but I've run into a bit of a problem. I got a set of -1.5mm x 11mm and 0mm x 14mm grey wheels to try the wide wheel setup on my Jomurema and the -1.5mm x 11mm to try on my MX-5. They are about the same on the MX-5 as the -1mm Kyosho wheels but work well. The trouble I'm having is when I run them on the Jomurema which is my PN2.5 with the Pro aluminum lower arm. The reflex wheels have ribs on the inside of the wheels and while turning the ribs hit the arm causing it to slow. I've added shims to space the wheels out, and it's helped but not enough. So I'm thinking just to dremel the ribs just enough to clear. Any thoughts??? I like the wide wheel setup on the Jomurema, other than the rub, as I can push it much harder in the corners. BUT when it does traction roll it's pretty violent!
Thanks Guys! Drew
Old 03-20-2024, 01:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I have had to trim every wheel, except for DXR, at some point.
Old 03-23-2024, 04:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default April/may layout?

Looked at thread and didn’t see any.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:59 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Pooch692000
Looked at thread and didn’t see any.
April will be the same as March, but running counterclockwise. May hasn’t been designed yet. Each month’s layout is posted at the beginning of the month.
Old 03-25-2024, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

Well, I don't know about Yall, but with these resent storms coming through, the traction in my track has come up a HUGE AMOUNT causing BAD traction rolling with all my cars but especially my 90mm chassis! I've turned throttle down and went to larger pinion, went to harder front springs, - expo turned up, and I'm still on 20mm wheels on both 90mm's on all 4 corners on low height fronts, PN Mediums. I have to stay on 20mm rears on the PN 70T motor chassis because of the motor hanging down below the motor pod. I'll try 19mm fronts tomorrow to see if it will help.
I have Kyosho Low Height soft, medium, and soft Front tires, but only medium-low height PN KS/KSM's to try. We'll see?
Good Luck keeping the rubber side down!
Drew
Old 03-30-2024, 04:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Default March 2024 Box Stock

March 2024 Layout
Class ~ Box Stock
Date ~ March 26, 2024
Location ~ Santa Rosa, California
Race Time ~ 369.379 Seconds / 6:09.379 Minutes
Fastest Lap ~ 4.136 Seconds
Chassis ~ Kyosho MR03
Body ~ McLaren I2C GT3
Wheelbase ~ 98mm
Tires ~ Marka 25 Slick Fronts & Marka 10 Slick Rears
Springs ~ Orange
T-Plate ~ Generic Carbon 3
Motor ~ Stock
Batteries ~ Eneloop Pro 900mah AAA
Gearing ~ 7t Pinion
Notes ~ Finally got a Noble NB4 radio and dumped the stock one. Way easy to try Box Stock now.

Old 03-30-2024, 04:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Default March 2024 Porsche Cup

March 2024 Layout
Class ~ Porsche Class
Date ~ March 27, 2024
Location ~ Santa Rosa, California
Race Time ~ 350.868 Seconds / 5:50.868 Minutes
Fastest Lap ~ 4.206 Seconds
Chassis ~ Kyosho MR04 EVO2 / Nexxspeed RM Motor Pod
Body ~ Porsche GT1
Wheelbase ~ 90mm
Tires ~ PN KSM Medium Slick Fronts & Marka 20 Radial Rears
Wheels ~ 2 Offset Kyosho Rears / 1 Offset Fronts

Springs ~ Yellow
Disc Damper ~ Nexspeed

T-Plate ~ Generic Carbon 5
Motor ~ 4100 KV Brushless
Batteries ~ Eneloop Pro 900mah AAA
Gearing ~ 10t Pinion
Notes ~ I love the new GT1 body, it's super fast & smooth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.