Search
Like Tree78Likes

End of the Losi Mini 8ight

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 11:19 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racknpinion
I’ve seen quite a few guys try to stuff 540’s in the M8 truggy with the Greek eBay 540 mount and plainly put, it’s a bad idea if you want any hope of controlling the car or keeping it in one piece for more than a pack or two. Even one I guy I know who put a 22t 540 in his said it’s simply too much motor for these. The butter soft diffs won’t handle it for much more than a few packs, then they’re toast. Good luck with everything else on the car. Heat is not a significant issue width a 380 motor in tbr 2838 to 2850 can range. For sensored fans there are options like the Leopard and Carisma. Hobbywing have shown a prototype 2850 sensored motor as well for the LC cars.

The vidoes I posted I think prove that there is absolutely nothing limiting these cars from performing well on a track in suitably trimmed stock configuration.
Nice videos. Those tracks are definitely suitable for smaller sized vehicles.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly

Nice videos. Those tracks are definitely suitable for smaller sized vehicles.
There’s lots more on YT and Facebook. I’ve seen guys clear 30 foot triples with them and smoke 1/10 cars on larger tracks.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:32 PM
Tech Prophet

There’s lots more on YT and Facebook. I’ve seen guys clear 30 foot triples with them and smoke 1/10 cars on larger tracks.
yeah. I used to watch them. Until few weeks ago I’d never been to an actual RC track. I currently only race on road. Off road, carpet off road looks very different. It’s the jumps that would give me issues. I’m ok at jumping, just really bad at landing.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:05 PM
Tech Regular

yeah. I used to watch them. Until few weeks ago I’d never been to an actual RC track. I currently only race on road. Off road, carpet off road looks very different. It’s the jumps that would give me issues. I’m ok at jumping, just really bad at landing.
I'm still planning on taking the LC truggy to my local track here in San Diego, just for fun running during practice rounds. Would be cool to see it run along side the Tekno truggies. I think the current layout would be pretty suited to it.
billdelong likes this.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:25 PM
Tech Prophet

I'm still planning on taking the LC truggy to my local track here in San Diego, just for fun running during practice rounds. Would be cool to see it run along side the Tekno truggies. I think the current layout would be pretty suited to it.
I’ve been on a break from off road stuff. Lost use of few places. I did find a few of the tacon and LC vehicle on eBay. Some reason a brushed buggy has my interest.

Thus is the indoor track. I’ve only run the on road side once so far. Not my video here.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:27 PM
Tech Master

I don't recommend the brushed ones, They come with a lot of downgrades from the brushless versions.

I agree that a 540 motor would probably work out poorly. The extra weight and the higher center of gravity that it would add just seems like it wouldn't be a positive change. I like the motor options that a 540 would allow but a good 28mm motor is a good match.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:44 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Backyard RC
I don't recommend the brushed ones, They come with a lot of downgrades from the brushless versions.

I agree that a 540 motor would probably work out poorly. The extra weight and the higher center of gravity that it would add just seems like it wouldn't be a positive change. I like the motor options that a 540 would allow but a good 28mm motor is a good match.
I’ve read that before. Normally I’d never consider brushed for an off road. But it would probably spend its time just jumping on pavement. And on rare occasion I get a empty, or mostly empty shop, I could almost use it inside. Won’t be long before snow arrives.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

So I finally had the time to watch some of the videos (very entertaining by the way!) and it did seem like many of the Korean drivers were having difficulty holding their lines and even the lead driver appeared to have a challenge clearing the larger jump on the front straight even though that jump isn't particularly large. You can see what I mean at 6:45 into the clip here where I think having more weight would help stabilize the car in mid flight:

Old 10-30-2018, 05:46 PM
Tech Regular

The reason I posted those was to prove a point. That point is that mini racing is viable and vibrant in many parts of the world. If you need more proof there’s a LOT more 1/14 off-road and on road racing on YouTube.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:15 PM
Tech Prophet

The reason I posted those was to prove a point. That point is that mini racing is viable and vibrant in many parts of the world. If you need more proof there’s a LOT more 1/14 off-road and on road racing on YouTube.
In my limited time in the racing side of the hobby, I’ve come to see it as very difficult to compare RC racing outside the States, to what we have here. From what I’ve read, California has more track then some countries overseas. Here you can have 2 tracks less then 100 miles apart running, with completely different turnouts and classes.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:10 PM
Tech Regular

In my limited time in the racing side of the hobby, I’ve come to see it as very difficult to compare RC racing outside the States, to what we have here. From what I’ve read, California has more track then some countries overseas. Here you can have 2 tracks less then 100 miles apart running, with completely different turnouts and classes.
Yes, it would unfortunately seem to be the case. Then again, RC doesn't exist in just the States thankfully. It's a worldwide hobby. Maybe we should look to out brothers and sisters overseas and take some pointers. Carpet tracks, smaller scale off road tracks, and yeah, even tenth scale tracks can support the class. I'm just more about trying to grow the field than looking for alternatives at this point, because I dont believe the genre is doomed from some technical standpoint.

But also, not everything in RC has to revolve around racing. If thats someones bag, cool, but theres no reason why a mini is incapable of it. It just requires a different mindset and perhaps adjusted expectations.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:34 PM
Tech Prophet

Yes, it would unfortunately seem to be the case. Then again, RC doesn't exist in just the States thankfully. It's a worldwide hobby. Maybe we should look to out brothers and sisters overseas and take some pointers. Carpet tracks, smaller scale off road tracks, and yeah, even tenth scale tracks can support the class. I'm just more about trying to grow the field than looking for alternatives at this point, because I dont believe the genre is doomed from some technical standpoint.

But also, not everything in RC has to revolve around racing. If thats someones bag, cool, but theres no reason why a mini is incapable of it. It just requires a different mindset and perhaps adjusted expectations.
I agree. Racing makes up only a tiny percent of my RC running. I’ve done 24 racedays between 1/10 and MiniZ. I something almost every day. Sometimes 2-3 times a day.

While yes yes there are probably things that could learn from overseas. Right now we can’t get the 4 groups in a 60 miles range to really acknowledge the others exsist. The two parking lot groups do. But unfortunately have scheduled races the same days past two years. The two actual tracks don’t acknowledge each other.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:28 PM
Tech Champion

I wholeheartedly appreciate the time you took in showing some examples, and I have always been an advocate for the "oddball-mini" classes, I raced GT18 which was quirky and not well supported... I think we grew the class up to about 8 racers at one point but would prove to be a short lived fad for maybe 2-3 years. Probably my all time favorite class was the Cup Racer which was basically a mini even though it was billed as a true 1/10 platform, it was still considerably smaller than 1/10 TC specs, what I liked most about the platform was that it fit a standard 540 sized motor, it too would only last about 3 years. I was an early adopter for the "Mini 8ight-T" spec class, the RD would even allow the use of the included AVC with it too! I let a handful of drivers test drive it and only 3 of us would commit to the class, but I quickly sold mine after having way more trouble than it was worth dealing with, at least it's just not designed for 1/8 tracks nor do I feel it would be appropriate for the 1/10 turf track in our area because of all the wooden boards used for the lane dividers. I would also become an early adopter for the recent "Mini Truggy" class based on TEKNO's ET410, it seems to have killed both 4WD SCT and 2WD ST classes at the same time, pretty much all those drivers are diverging into the "Mini Truggy" class now. If Losi was smart, they would get a piece of this action, especially with what I think most US based tracks are having fairly larger jumps than what I've seen in the videos you posted of tracks on the other side of the pond.

Funny thing is that I'm not really much of a fan of big air... mostly because it gets too expensive if/when you make a mistake

Old 10-31-2018, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

1/14th mini-buggy needs two things to do well on a track. A smooth, packed, decent traction surface and jumps with landers. When Mike's in Houston had a smooth surface I had a lot of fun running the Tacon Soar buggy. Jumps were no problem. The SCT was even easier, other than the parachuting. Biggest fear was crashing and getting punted by a 1/8th scale while upside down.

Mini-buggies struggle on a turf track like Thornhill because the landers are pretty short (not a knock against Thornhill, just what it is on a track with wooden jumps). 1/14th scale definitely does not like to flat land.

If Mike's turf track pans out I'll be resurrecting my 1/14th scales. Hard to beat a $250 car, $50 receiver and $8 battery packs for some laid back RC fun

Note: Big quality difference between the LC buggies and the Mini-8ight. Never saw a Mini-8ight that didn't have some issue going on.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:53 PM
Tech Champion

In all honesty, even the 1/10 buggies struggle with landing on the flats at Thornhill Jr too, sometimes you can get lucky if you hit nose first and a slight whip with 1 front tire absorbing the shock to get lateral transfer, but that doesn't always pan out depending if the landing is on a corner, sometimes it's just better to layup the roller. I heard Mike's is building a turf track too, I wonder if they are gonna go modular like Thornhill Jr? I will say that driving on the turf has trained me to hit the landers better on the 1/8 track and has made me a better overall driver between both tracks. I hope to see more "Texas 2 Step" races between both programs in 2019 for both the dirt and turf tracks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.