Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Dromida 4.18 Mods and Tuning Mega-Reference >

Dromida 4.18 Mods and Tuning Mega-Reference

Like Tree17Likes

Dromida 4.18 Mods and Tuning Mega-Reference

Old 12-23-2018, 06:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
you have to make sure that whatever spur your running the pinion is the same "pitch". If they are not then you will have trouble like chewed up teeth on your gear(s) that you described.

I am curious about a 540 sized motor in your little Dromida!! -dude!! Does it spin out when you full throttle it? That is a lot of power.
Its been a slow moving project honestly. The last time I did some test running, very short distances in my office, it ended up chewing up the plastic spur gear. No amazing performance in that testing, probably due to still crappy gear mesh.

So, currently its shelved for a bit. The ESC I had in it was borrowed from a truck Im giving my son for chrsitmas, so I had to take it out so I could box and wrap it lol. And I need to get some gears that will actually mesh. Gonna resume the experiment after the holidays.
eR1c likes this.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Update on the experimental dromida (big motor tiny car), its officially dead. I got a WLtoys a949 for christmas, which kinda satisfies the big motor tiny car dream I have. And I needed parts from the experiment for various other things.

Now I have to figure out what Im going to do with the kinda expensive duratraqx ball diffs. They do indeed fit in a dromida gear box (as mentioned in this thread), but the bearings on either side are too small, so, it kinda rattles around in there.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So your Dromida has become a parts car and your slowly parting it out?
Are you selling parts off it?? -If so I may have to go back and look at your photos
Old 01-01-2019, 05:34 AM
Tech Initiate

So your Dromida has become a parts car and your slowly parting it out?
Are you selling parts off it?? -If so I may have to go back and look at your photos
Hey if you need something just ask, theres a good chance I have it. At one time I had 3 complete dromidas (desert buggy, monster truck, and buggy), the buggy ended up being a parts truck, and I bought a SCT off ebay for parts, and I have a aluminum (blue and orange) Im not even using. Now its just 2 of the truggy like things, one brushed for my son, and one brushless for me. Just keeping those 2 going has been the main focus.
eR1c likes this.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Racing truck update. About 3 weeks ago it got really hot again, Always have heat issues on this truck. A 9 tooth pinion ran the best, bit its hard to get a 9 tooth to mesh up good with the dromida motor mount, and the only one I had got chewed up. It was running a 12 tooth when it got super hot. Anyway, the motor was junk, didnt want to move any more. So, being sick of it I sat on it a couple weeks, contemplated selling the damn thing, and then decided to try to put a bigger (physically bigger) motor in it.

I got a 2440, 6800kv 4 pole motor in it now. As a comparison, the hobby wing that was in it previously was a 2030 5200kv (I think they are 2 pole, cant seem to confirm this), and I have a 10 tooth pinion in it at the moment. I have a integy heat sink fan combo on order that will fit this new motor, hoping it shows up before race time this weekend.

Interesting thing, this thing got so hot so often, the chassis was actually slightly warped right where the motor mount bolts in. The motor would not sit straight, and you could see a distortion in that little groove where the mount sits. So, had to basically rebuild, all on a chassis from a parts truck. While I was at it, I added limiters to the shocks. As it sits in the pics, it cant physically get any taller than that. Shes a low rider lol... Hoping not too low, we shall see. And while I was at it, had to print a new box thing to hold all the electronics, my new thing is trying to make things that hold things in place so I dont have to use double sided tape lol

eR1c likes this.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

The boxes you've made look nice, I bet there is a market for them on more popular RC models.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

I stopped by a local hobby shop near my town that I never go to, mostly because they are 90% doll-houses. They have a small RC section, and I usually only go in to get paint ...they don't carry anything for racing (which is what I am into), mostly Traxxas vehicles for bashing. In any case, I stopped in to get some paint and saw that they have a lot of Dromida kits all NIB for sale, as well as parts. They had pretty much every type of wheel/tire set available plus many I'd never seen before, bodies both painted and unpainted and some other parts for the Dromida's. I picked up a few sets of tires/wheels but may go back and get an extra body and see what else they have, -I had to take off as I only had a little time there, had to pick up my son from school.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:07 PM
Tech Initiate

I stopped by a local hobby shop near my town that I never go to, mostly because they are 90% doll-houses. They have a small RC section, and I usually only go in to get paint ...they don't carry anything for racing (which is what I am into), mostly Traxxas vehicles for bashing. In any case, I stopped in to get some paint and saw that they have a lot of Dromida kits all NIB for sale, as well as parts. They had pretty much every type of wheel/tire set available plus many I'd never seen before, bodies both painted and unpainted and some other parts for the Dromida's. I picked up a few sets of tires/wheels but may go back and get an extra body and see what else they have, -I had to take off as I only had a little time there, had to pick up my son from school.
Nice!

From what horizon told me, dromida is now a "in store" only brand. And I was told that even if they didnt carry the brand they should still be able to order parts I might need. But every shop I have visited in the last few months in my area have nothing. I think its a total of 5 shops.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

what does "in store" only mean? Why would they not sell online in this day and age??
Sounds more like each brick and mortar store is just selling what they have left?

In any case, I plan to ask someone at that hobby shop I went to about the dromidas they have and if they can order parts.
In any case, still having fun w/ my modded Dromida.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:28 AM
Tech Initiate

what does "in store" only mean? Why would they not sell online in this day and age??
Sounds more like each brick and mortar store is just selling what they have left?

In any case, I plan to ask someone at that hobby shop I went to about the dromidas they have and if they can order parts.
In any case, still having fun w/ my modded Dromida.
Yeah man, I dont know, its weird for sure. "in store only", to me, sounded like a way to kill it off without killing it, ya know?

The closest store to me that doesnt have any dromida stuff, when I asked about it, they told me they dont carry in intentionally. Said there was quality issues? And they think its not selling well.
eR1c likes this.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Quality issues? In store only?! Lol

here are the tires I picked up