Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > Company/Manufacturer Forums > MaxAmps Support Forum

Old 02-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Maxspeed

GTP2E
RX8 2250Kv
RC Monster 30T pinion stock spur

Which lipo would best suit this for high speed? I am told that 4S is recommended for this motor but there are several posts of people running 5S and 6S...are they using lower capacity and discharge? please suggest some good options for this.
Also, Maxamps 150C lipos ....really? I have read much controversy on that. Would you recommend one of those for my setup to disprove the skeptics? I'm going to beak the land speed record for 1/8 so if Maxamps wants to be there with me then I better get a logo on my body lol
Old 02-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Smith

What class are you planing on running your car in?

The ISC records for electric classes allowing 1/8 scale are:

Electric Open: any number of cells, current record 161 mph

Electric Mod: 4 cell limit, current record 143 mph

Electric Stock: 2 cell limit/ 540 motor, current record 119 mph

Mid November will be the annual ISC speed run at Auto Club speedway in Fontana California. That is where you will have a chance to set a speed record.

Honestly battery power will not be the limiting factor. The car in its stock configuration most likely will fail trying to handle the speed and forces required to go much over 100 mph.

Most people in speed running use cells in the 3000 mah to 6000 mah depending on the amount of space in the car and the larger factor of weight.

Last edited by Tim Smith; 02-09-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Default 20C or 150C?

I live in Sidney,BC Canada... I won't be in any clubs or running any class. This is just for Youtube videos and to wow the local slobs that run their garbage toys around here lol... So far I have an igthobbies body on the way along with 4 iexp GT Sweep slicks, I just got 24T and 30T pinions from RC Monster, and I'm looking at a new Tx Rx and an eagletree V4 logger... The GTP2e, RX8 2250kv and HS-7945TH are still in the mail on their way from Nitrohouse.

From what I have read, running a 4S lipo will save me a lot of grief avoiding frying a motor, but I was wonder which lipo specifically would be recommended.... I am so new at this that its all just a shot in the dark... the Local LHS is no help at all as I am just home now after being downtown Victoria to pick up a part and all the one guy had to offer was attitude so I told them in a nice way thats not how to do business especially when theres way better deals on the internet if you're willing to wait and I left then I got a call from the owner so I didn't answer...screw them they are no help at all...one time I asked about adding capacitors and the guy just looked at me like I was an idiot...wow, so annoying.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Smith

Well in your case if you can get it to fit I would suggest the 5250 pack The pack has great power for speed runs I used the 2 cell 5250 mah version a Novak 3.5 ballistic motor and Novak Kinetic esc to set the 2 cell record in November at 119 mph.

But as soon as I can get back to racing I will be running the new 6500 race packs

I would also not go above 4 cells. You'll have your hands full controlling that much power at high speed.

Just take your time getting up to speed, make a few low speed passes and work on smooth braking. The two areas that cause the most control issues are just before full throttle and initial braking also check your motor and esc temps constantly.

Good luck, post up the videos when you can.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Yes I think I'll stay with a 4S as high a capacity and discharge as I can afford, also...I plan on installing an Eagle Tree logger V4 to monitor rpm, esc/motor temps, although I might pass on the GPS to save a bit of cash...