1C or 2C charging?

Old 02-27-2009, 07:32 AM
Tech Master

Long term affects you may see a slight decrease in cycle life at 2C. It's always better to charge at 1C. It is just easier on packs in the long run. As far as higher I don't think those packs have been around long enough to determine the long term affects not to mention there aren't that many charges on the market that can do a 5C rate. They are available Like the Hyperion 0720i we carry. I would rather be safe and stick with 2C or less.

Jason
Old 02-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sometimes at the track I do not have time to fully charge my 7.4, 4200mah, 35 c Maxamps pack before the mains (charging at 1c). Am I better off charging the pack and running it when it is less than fully charged (1c). Or should I charge at 2c and get a full charge everytime. I always use the balancer and the charger is a hyperion eos o6010i Net.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

it really doesn't matter. If your close to being say 75% fully charged you basically will be adding to the packs total capacity at that point rather then the Total voltage. I usually take my packs and just toss them onto the charger until I'm ready to go again sometimes they don't finish charging. It has no bad affects on them. Remembe they aren't like NimH cells.

Jason
Old 02-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Since you said that I have to ask about the 60% storage VS fully charged.

I was talking to one of the pro's and he said he stores his lipo's fully charged and the tops them off. If he just runs them he can notice a difference in punch.

I have been doing the 60% deal and so don't see this and when i was storing them full I would run practice and they were freshly charged for the race.

Any idea what that is? is this the why not to store full or just an indicator of the damage caused by storing them full?
Old 02-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by balistic View Post
Since you said that I have to ask about the 60% storage VS fully charged.

I was talking to one of the pro's and he said he stores his lipo's fully charged and the tops them off. If he just runs them he can notice a difference in punch.

I have been doing the 60% deal and so don't see this and when i was storing them full I would run practice and they were freshly charged for the race.

Any idea what that is? is this the why not to store full or just an indicator of the damage caused by storing them full?
Take what he says with a grain of salt or two. It's what he feels or thinks he feels. Punch is controlled by power which is controlled voltage. Yes a fully charged pack will be at it's max voltage and it will offer you a bit more power right at the start. But once the voltage levels off your back to normal power. What he is doing isn't changing a thing. All he's doing is risking damage to his packs in the long run. It is recommended to store at 60% plain and simple. If he doesn't want to do that then so be it. It has been proven that if they sit for long periods with a full charge that the cells to suffer. It just part of the whole Li-Po deal. If you store them at 60% the risk of long term storage damage is no where as high. I think I would go with the info from a guy like me who works with Li-Po's for a living rather than a "Pro" driver that just uses the packs and doesn't adhere to the safety and usage rules.

-J
Old 04-29-2009, 07:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Keeping the future in mind, do you recommend a min charge rate at which chargers should have? I am running TC stock and mod.

Also do you have a recommendation on the minimum mAh and C rating for mod (4.5) TC with 5 min mains?

Thanks
Old 04-30-2009, 05:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dane View Post
Keeping the future in mind, do you recommend a min charge rate at which chargers should have? I am running TC stock and mod.

Also do you have a recommendation on the minimum mAh and C rating for mod (4.5) TC with 5 min mains?

Thanks
I think for the most part as of now you'll be safe with any 1C or 2C capable charger. As for your car look at nothing less than 4000 mAh and 20C

Jason
Old 05-23-2009, 07:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default lipo vs Nanophosphate C rates

if charging more than 1C is possible to lipo battery as long wearing balancer.
1. What is the maximum temp for Lipo during charging ?
2. Safety range temp charge on the lipo battery ?
3. Could max temp on the lipo battery used as measuring the "C" charge limits ?
4. As Nanophosphate 6v they capable to be charged in Higher "C" rates rather than charging ordinary lipo batteries, with stable temp. without reducing the life of the battery.
What is the range of charge Nanophosphate battery, in "C" rates ?
5. What is the Nanophosphate battery temp charge range and limit's ?
Old 05-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Jason,
I was wondering if there is a way to set the Hyperion 0720i ( that I just got from max amps as well as 3 6500 4cells packs) to shut off at the 60% charged storage point
This way I could set that as one of the profiles in the charger
Thanks
Old 05-29-2009, 05:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Crazy Carl View Post
Jason,
I was wondering if there is a way to set the Hyperion 0720i ( that I just got from max amps as well as 3 6500 4cells packs) to shut off at the 60% charged storage point
This way I could set that as one of the profiles in the charger
Thanks

Set your charger up to deal with the 4S 6500 and simply select store mode at the start in stead of charge. No need for another profile you just change what it does at the start. Either discharge, charge, store mode.

Jason
Old 06-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Originally Posted by JAM MaxAmps View Post
Set your charger up to deal with the 4S 6500 and simply select store mode at the start in stead of charge. No need for another profile you just change what it does at the start. Either discharge, charge, store mode.

Jason
Thank you kindly
Old 06-08-2009, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

Your very welcome.

Jason
Old 09-07-2009, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAM MaxAmps View Post
Take what he says with a grain of salt or two. It's what he feels or thinks he feels. Punch is controlled by power which is controlled voltage. Yes a fully charged pack will be at it's max voltage and it will offer you a bit more power right at the start. But once the voltage levels off your back to normal power. What he is doing isn't changing a thing. All he's doing is risking damage to his packs in the long run. It is recommended to store at 60% plain and simple. If he doesn't want to do that then so be it. It has been proven that if they sit for long periods with a full charge that the cells to suffer. It just part of the whole Li-Po deal. If you store them at 60% the risk of long term storage damage is no where as high. I think I would go with the info from a guy like me who works with Li-Po's for a living rather than a "Pro" driver that just uses the packs and doesn't adhere to the safety and usage rules.

-J
A question that I've had is, what exactly is a "long time"? If I have a practice session at my track at least every week, it is safer to put them in store mode after each session, or just charge them fully and keep them in my box until the next week?

If it's going to be more than a week, I generally run them through the Lipo store mode on my Hyperion charger, then just charge them back to full the night before I'm planning to run.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Unless you're storing them for more than a couple months, you don't need to keep them in storage mode.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
A question that I've had is, what exactly is a "long time"? If I have a practice session at my track at least every week, it is safer to put them in store mode after each session, or just charge them fully and keep them in my box until the next week?

If it's going to be more than a week, I generally run them through the Lipo store mode on my Hyperion charger, then just charge them back to full the night before I'm planning to run.
We recommend right on our site that anything over a week they should be put in Storage Mode. The routine you have going is right on track.

Jason