Wiki Posts
Search

1/12 scale this Sunday?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default 1/12 scale this Sunday?

With the Oshkosh race Saturday, is anyone going to be racing 1/12 scale this Sunday at MARCCA?
Old 11-10-2004, 05:44 AM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

unless I turn my L3 into carbon dust at Oshkosh I should be there
Old 11-10-2004, 07:21 AM
Tech Adept

With all the rules not being very clear for this class I have a fwe questions.
1 could I run a f1 chasis with a lmp body?
2 I have a lehner brushless system, would this be legal in any class?
Old 11-10-2004, 08:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Celt,

Young Joe will probably be there unless his chassis did not survive the t-bone you put on him last Sunday (just kidding).

Last edited by hybrid; 11-10-2004 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

JCTC3,

Is this a 1/12 scale F1 car?

I've seen this tried time and time again with little success...someone running a mod configured brushless system (or conventional brushed mod for that matter) with those running stock. It sounds nit-picky but when you have one person that is drastically more over powered than the rest of the field, it's not much fun for anyone. I've been on both side of this situation. If you're the fast guy, someone is always in your line and if you're one of the folks running the less powered motors, you have to constantly move out of someone's way. In other words the entire flow of the whole race is disrupted - I'm less concerned about points and all that but more about the quality of racing. What this always seems to translate to is broken parts, because the person with the faster motor has to be very skilled to handle that much power in traffic. And, why would I want to run a motor that fast and have to spend eight minutes driving around much slower traffic?

I mean, look at any large race...race directors do resorts to try to level the competition even within a class to allow a more smooth flowing race for everyone by matching skill level.

If there is enough people that want to run open class, what the heck - thre is no reason you couldn't run then - as long as the car is 1/12 scale. I'm just not sure it's a good idea to have seven guys in a groove running a stock motor and one rocket that everyone has to move over for.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So long as it is a REAL F1 chassis it is acceptable but it must be running a johnson or mabuchi silver can motor.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:23 PM
Tech Adept

So you're saying you can only run a 1/12 scale chasis and only the novak brushless system is legal? I understand about the chasis but why only alow one brand of motor?
Old 11-11-2004, 04:34 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ROAR is specing the Novak Brushless. See rules:

http://www.roarracing.com/rules/

Now, I'll be the first guy to say that the Novak "stock" brushless is a bit more powerfull than your average brushed stock motor. But at some point you have to pick a horse and go with it. It looks like ROAR has done just that, and the ROAR brushless specs are obviously describing the Novak system. If Lehner or Hacker makes a system that conforms to the ROAR spec, there's no reason it can't compete in a ROAR rules class.

And I don't think we have come to any consensus about what 1/12 scale class(es) will be. Last Monday we had 27T, 4300 BL, 5800 BL, 19T and 13T, so who knows?

I think the club is having an "all members invited" meeting November 27th? Perhaps we can finalize the classes.

I have suggested, to keep the number of classes down, that we just do a stock class. Since all I have is the Novak 4300 Stock BL, I'll run in stock but I won't take points (if people complain). It is not fast enough, IMO, to upset the flow of a race though (at least not with me driving it ;-))

P.S. I'll be there if I get my replacement parts ;-)!!!

P.P.S. If somebody wants to lend me a good stock motor (and keep it tuned) and an ESC, I'll use that just to stop all this nonsense, but I ain't wasting my time and money on obsolete technology.

Last edited by GordonFreeman; 11-11-2004 at 04:57 AM.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:44 AM

Holy crap man thats one helluva sig hahaha

you can score a ESC for 45$ here and a stocker is 36$ for one of the Assassins that Stan runs.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

gordon, explain why brushed motors are "obsolete technology", it seems t me that the motor companys are still making motors, and spending money to advance them, the electronics companys are coming out with new escs, and roar , ifmar and the other sanctionng bodies have not replaced brushed, roar just made a brushless class..

as for your constant complaining, you are actually lucky that marcca i being so forgiving. if the rules state you must run brushed, and you are always running brushless, but taking no points....i am sorry, but that dont fly....if you want to be in this hobby step up, buy what is needed to race the class you want, if it is brushless you want to race, get a truck, they alow them....

you do not see micheal shumacher showing up every week with his f-1 car at a nascar event going i want to race , but i wont take your points....

this really is of no concern of mine other than it gets a bit old reading your uninformed opinionated rants.....

matt
Old 11-11-2004, 06:26 AM

John, your brushless is more than a little faster than 27Turns Its a lil punchier than even 19T motors hehe.

It will be nice to race against an all stock brushed motor group in Oshkosh this weekend. Even though as Stan and Vang have shown... even a stocker can be faster than all geddout if it has a good pilot behind it. (which I am not quite yet) hehe.

Also John, do what I am doing, gunna get one of those Assassins, and put one of the Epic stock V2 heads onto it. Lowers maintenance almost 2 fold from what I understand. ( lower com wear and lower brush wear.)
Old 11-11-2004, 11:16 AM
Tech Adept

Clegg it is ilegal to swap endbells or armatures other than was exactly submitted and aproved by roar by the manufacture. Why are you guys willing to let 19t and other mod motors but only novak brushless? Are you controlled by a local hobbie store or does novak contribute to your club?
Old 11-11-2004, 11:22 AM

Because Novak has a "stock" setting and a "stock" motor.

the only reason we had a SS5800 out was their ESC wasnt in hand to run a stock motor I believe. They werent racing either.

As Stan (celt) said above - an unrealisticly powerful motor doesnt help anyone on the track with slower stock machines out there. If you guys get a few more Brushless people running you could have your own class soon.

and yeh a V2 endbell is not "ROAR" spec then, but WTF, we have brushless plants running with the stock 27T's I dont think a minor change on a 27T is a big deal. While it may not be ROAR approved.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:23 AM

Also in the races the only motors that have been on the track this year have been 27T's and SS4300's. 19T's and other motors were out at practice not the races.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

The other night, I ran an 11T in my 1/12scale, geez is that amazing. I don't think I've ever seen anything fly across carpet that fast...WOW!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.