Wiki Posts
Search

MARCCA 2010-2011 indoor onroad

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default MARCCA 2010-2011 indoor onroad

OK, I will start this discussion now that a location is set and the club is ready to switch gears from outdoors to indoors.

The club seems to have over the years developed into a very successful offroad entity. Indoors and outdoors we love our toy trucks. For those of us who wanted to run onroad there were other options, which was cool because we could enjoy more days of racing in the winter without traveling too far and race toy cars AND toy trucks. Without that much work.

Work it would seem is the obstical in promoting an onroad program for MARCCA. The core group is more than happy to setup, change, move, repair etc. the layout every week to run offroad. And that is a great thing. An onroad group of people would need to form just as dedicated to do work in removing jumps etc. OR the offroad group would need to help in facilitating the growth of an onroad following. The amount of work required to pull all the jumps and then put them back I feel is an obstical that will not allow an onroad group to form on its own without help from all the club members.

All this is based on the idea that there would be an onroad following. Would there? I do not know. I do know that Jason would attend. I have talked with Paul Lemieux and he would attend when he could. I think Jeremy Whiting and Brad Johnson would attend based on the schedule. I have started this thread for the club and others outside the club to post there ideas and thoughts so please chime in or onroad will be dead in Madison also I believe.

Lets talk about times, involvement and classes. Weekly, bi-weekly once a month? Weekends, weeknights? Just race days or also a practice day. Sedans, VTA, 1/12, mini cooper or even rally with just a few small obsticles so SCT and carpet trucks could race also on the same night. Wednessday nights will no longer be held at RCP so maybe we could run onroad with a little lets call it Rally.

Thats my start. I will post in a couple other threads to invite others to this discussion.

Keith and Jason.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

For me it would work out better to drive to Madison then Baraboo on Sunday's. The roads I have to take to get there are worse in the winter time then 151 is. I know there were a few guys who bought 1/12 scale cars at the end of last season in hopes to race at MARCCA. I have a 1/12 scale as well as a sedan, so either class is fine with me. We can keep it simple with 17.5 and open esc in either class. I don't know how far the drive would be for the Madison guys to go to Baraboo, but it would make sense to me they would not want the extra drive time in the winter season. I would also be more willing to buy a memrship as well, which would also give me more of a reason to race nitro in the summer time with the MARCCA guys. Also we are closer to a hobby shop if we needed something in a pinch, can't say that about a track with no local hobby shop.

Hopefully this helps. Sunday's work the best for me even if it is every other week.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I would like to race onroad this winter at Marcca too, I have a 1/12 scale and a wgt car for Daryl to drive.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (95%+)

Onroad was tried last spring and it fizzled. Maybe due to the fact that some were gearing up for outdoor, or were just taking a break from racing. Regardless, the main concern is scheduling. I am positive that this will be a discussion point at the next board meeting.
First, one of the key factors is carpet truck track setup. The track is setup Thursday for practice that night and left for Saturday's racing. That leaves (at this point) Sunday through Wednesday for onroad.
Keith's points are valid that it would take the whole club to help foster the onroad program. However, convincing guys to tear the track down after Sat. night for the onroad guys will be a tough sell. Even tougher would be if the number of onroad guys was under 10 or 15.
The key key key point is having the onroad guys illustrate that they have a vested interest. This is not a profit making enterprise, and the club will help where it can, when it can. It all balances on the interest level.
Throw Reedsburg into the mix and interest might be high for a weekday series as to not compete with a neighboring club. The hingepin is interest with results.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:49 AM
Tech Master

Thank you Chad. I do not think it is fair to say it was tried and fizzled however. As you stated it was tried in the last month. I thought it was a great success as look at the numbers it attracted for no real promotion. It did decline as did the offroad program just before the Spring transition to outdoor track building.

It is interesting to me to see the number of people viewing the thread. I think there is interest, the club just needs to decide if it wants to foster an onroad program, generate more income and increase its membership. Maybe even have enough to rent a larger facility for the winters.

I think the schedule needs to be looked at in general all the way around. Last year Thusday was never really a practice night like it was the year before. The track was changed every week and Thursday night was usually consumed with setup not practice giving the less experienced driver no real practice or wheel time. Compound this with the fact that the track changed every week and you have a enviroment geared toward the accomplished driver not the beginner or intermediate which actually comprised most of the entries. I think we should look at this closer. I know Jason enjoyed being able to learn a layout with some practice like back on Advance street or RCP. If the better drivers want to be challenged by a new track all the time I don't get why they don't go to other tracks and race then. I think Jason is the only Spectrum race Marcca member signed up so far, what gives? I get off track here though.

What about looking at true setup night? Again there is no RCP track. That will be one less race night and MARCCA members were the core of that race night. Would the offroad racers be willing to pull the jumps after the night was over? How many truck guys would want to race their trucks without jumps and run the onroad night also?

Thanks for the responses so far. Lets keep talking it up! The more comments we have the more to discuss at the board meeting.

Keith.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by spedtke
Keith's points are valid that it would take the whole club to help foster the onroad program. However, convincing guys to tear the track down after Sat. night for the onroad guys will be a tough sell. Even tougher would be if the number of onroad guys was under 10 or 15.
The key key key point is having the onroad guys illustrate that they have a vested interest. This is not a profit making enterprise, and the club will help where it can, when it can. It all balances on the interest level. The hingepin is interest with results.
As long as I can remember the offroad crew always took down the jumps at the end of the night on Saturdays, (only takes five minutes) to make way for the Sedan crowd on Sundays. We left the pipe lay out stay, the Sunday crew could then modify the layout if they desired.
Then on Wednesday or Thursday the track was layed out for the next Sat.

I'm sure the club will do all it can to foster an On-Road program.
I'm also sure that all input by concerned drivers will be welcome at the next club meeting, to help organize & schedule an On-road program.
Next meeting is... I'm guessing the 6th, It usually is the first Sat. of the month.
It would be good to have a big turnout for it!
Old 10-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Tech Adept

My two cents worth. The offroad program works largely due to the efforts of a handfull of dedicated people who take the time each week to set up a new layout for all of us to enjoy. For an onroad program to suceed, there would have to be a few racers willing to step up and assume some responcibility for the greater good of the onroad community. Brian is correct, the offroaders have and can remove the jumps after racing is concluded on Saturday nights. Hell we do it several times a night during the Carpet challange, its no big deal.
It is my understanding the club is more than willing to supply the facilities, all we need is 4 or 5 onroad racers to step up.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:25 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Normal meetings are the first Saturday of the month during the winter. I am asking the board to move the meeting to November 13th due to my shoulder surgery on the 5th. An offical date will be posted for the meeting after this Saturdays racing. Please plan on attending the meeting if you have any interest in an onroad program this winter. Everyone will have time to express their interest and volunteer to make something happen.

Now my two cents. Our club has enjoyed great success in recent times. This is due to the hard work and dedication of those involved in the club. The members take the club where they want it to go. We all share the work and share in the fruits of our labors. It took many hundreds of man hours of donated labor to create our new outdoor facility. It happened because people cared enough to make it happen.

There is one sure way of getting something to happen...do it yourself, get involved, donate some time and energy to something you really want. If everyone sits around waiting for the "others" to do the work they may just wait a long time. This is true of most things in life.

The club has a building and all the necessary equipment to hold racing of many types. If you want on road racing...come and get it. The club will work out plans for dates and track adjustments between the different days. All it takes is someone to step up to the plate for what they want and show some dedicated effort. The Marcca club will support an on road program. We exist for our members and the enjoyment of RC cars. We will not lose sight of our purpose.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:13 PM
Tech Addict

I will make plans to attend the meeting. Just keep us posted on the date.

Just think how big of a turn out you could get for the Carpet challange if on road was included again like years past. I know I would sign up for three classes at the Carpet challange; SC, 1/12, and TC.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:33 AM
Regional Moderator

Onroad racing was part of last years carpet challenge. Only the trucks ran if memory serves me right due to not enough entries in the other classes. The year before there was a small turn out of sedans and 1/12th scale. We will always offer those classes.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:26 PM
Tech Addict

There would also be the chance to have a MARCCA vs. Reedsburg challange like the MARCCA vs. Monroe race.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xxxn-t chuck
There would also be the chance to have a MARCCA vs. Reedsburg challange like the MARCCA vs. Monroe race.
so which track do i run for???
Old 10-31-2010, 05:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xxxn-t chuck
Ryan at monroe already brought this up to me. we're talking about having a 3 race point series like scotty's race was this summer.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:57 AM
Regional Moderator

Reminder that we have a monthly board meeting this Saturday at the track at 3pm. If you want to start an onroad program at the club please attend the meeting and volunteer to help.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by marccaracer
Reminder that we have a monthly board meeting this Saturday at the track at 3pm. If you want to start an onroad program at the club please attend the meeting and volunteer to help.
As Jeff said if you are really interested attend the meeting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.