Wiki Posts
Search

GONE BANANA'S racing foam

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whitrzac
The leading edge of the chassis is covered in plastic and it doesn't widen much...

http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Def...0022#prodMedia

pics are of the buggy, but the truck uses the same design.

I don't see any reason why they couldn't run...
I've been running a 22 buggy.

This design couldn't possibly harm the carpet surface - regarding the aluminum chassis, there is nothing that could catch on anything, anywhere.

Further, the screws will not be pulling out of this plastic. Don't believe me? Build one.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Originally Posted by celt
I've been running a 22 buggy.

This design couldn't possibly harm the carpet surface - regarding the aluminum chassis, there is nothing that could catch on anything, anywhere.

Further, the screws will not be pulling out of this plastic. Don't believe me? Build one.
true but you dont drive like the rest of the guys do!!!! you drive very well..... just saying....
Old 10-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Question: If you break the front A-arm, is there a possibility that the suspension will compress enough to let the chassis drag the carpet on the outside edge? It would be the sharpest part of the chassis dragging along the carpet like a knife.

If that is possible, what can be added to the outside edge of the chassis down its length to give it a nice rolled edge? Maybe slice tubing or small diameter hose lengthwise, slide it over and fasten it? Or just chassis protector, the self stick stuff folded over the edge?

I don't see any issue with normal landings though. Even if it comes down hard on the bottom the normal plastic chassis protector everyone has(is supposed to) run for years should work. Even that rolled over the edge should be enough. Just inspect regularly.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Question: If you break the front A-arm, is there a possibility that the suspension will compress enough to let the chassis drag the carpet on the outside edge? It would be the sharpest part of the chassis dragging along the carpet like a knife.

If that is possible, what can be added to the outside edge of the chassis down its length to give it a nice rolled edge? Maybe slice tubing or small diameter hose lengthwise, slide it over and fasten it? Or just chassis protector, the self stick stuff folded over the edge?

I don't see any issue with normal landings though. Even if it comes down hard on the bottom the normal plastic chassis protector everyone has(is supposed to) run for years should work. Even that rolled over the edge should be enough. Just inspect regularly.
To drag the exposed edge right behind the from bumper, you would have to break the entire front end of the car off, including the shock tower, arm and the bumper itself.

I mean, we are theorizing about a lot here.

Exposed screws will and have done far more damage than anything. Any sharp edge can cut carpet including a graphite/carbon chassis - what's the difference? Why are we obsessing for a flat plate aluminum chassis?

My God, a lexan wing, a sharp edge on a body, with enough force, at the right angle, could exert enough force to slice carpet...I suppose.

So If I go over a jump, hit something and tear my carbon chassis in half with a jagged front edge, could it rip the carpet? What about a half broken arm that is dragged around with the sharp end exposed?

We could go on and on here, but I tell ya what. If I rip your carpet with my flat plate aluminum chassis, I'll buy the club a new roll.

Last edited by celt; 10-10-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

To drag the exposed edge right behind the from bumper, you would have to break the entire front end of the car off, including the shock tower, arm and the bumper itself.

Exposed screws will and have done far more damage than anything. Any sharp edge can cut carpet including a graphite/carbon chassis - what's the difference? Why are we obsessing for a flat plate aluminum chassis?

My God, a lexan wing, a sharp edge on a body, with enough force, at the right angle, could exert enough force to slice carpet...I suppose.

So If I go over a jump, hit something and tear my carbon chassis in half with a jagged front edge, could it rip the carpet? What about a half broken arm that is dragged around with the sharp end exposed?

We could go on and on here, but I tell ya what. If I rip your carpet with my flat plate aluminum chassis, I'll buy the club a new roll.
Hahaaha agreed. I dont see the chassis causing any problems either... People need to stop worrying about it so much. I bet this topic will be HUGE when the 22SC comes out (if it does it probably will...)
Old 10-11-2011, 07:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Playing devil's advocate does get clear and exact answers. I didn't think it could harm the carpet either. I really like the design myself.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

max the new carpet is what 3-6 thousand dollars to get!!! yes it makes a big deal on what rips the carpet.. carpet is not cheap for this hobby.. yes there are alot of things that can make the carpet ripp.. how about those wood jumps? same thing.. they can cause carpet rips.. body clips and chassis screws can cause this also.. this is why chassis protector is VERY VERY important....
Old 10-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Knowing Stan for a few years now I think I can trust his judgement and mental acuity. Probably will not be any worse than other vehicles. Sure wish I could put my hands on one myself and give it a look over before we make a club decision about them. Does RCP have one in stock?
Old 10-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

i am sure it will be fine..

does anyone check to see fir the n-road racers with carbon chassis have sanded and glued the chassis??? in theory no doing that could tear the carpet also....

you guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill.....
Old 10-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by marccaracer
Sure wish I could put my hands on one myself and give it a look over before we make a club decision about them. Does RCP have one in stock?
I highly doubt the board would vote to ban the new Losi 22T stadium truck. I think we should all be more concerned about finding a new bigger building for the winter!!

Does RCP have one in stock?
The current release date is October 17.

Originally Posted by Matt M.
you guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill.....
+1
Old 10-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Knowing Stan for a few years now I think I can trust his judgement and mental acuity. Probably will not be any worse than other vehicles. Sure wish I could put my hands on one myself and give it a look over before we make a club decision about them. Does RCP have one in stock?
We are hoping to have a few in tomorrow. It just kind of depends, and the hobby shops release date is a few days earlier than the public release date (so we can have it on the shelf by then.)

And yes I know its not cheap at all Jermey. I was saying this based on the things people have been saying. How there's no real way it will beat up the carpet more than the composite chassis. Its rounded.

EDIT: We should have a few in tomorrow! If not in under 1 week for sure. Give the store a call to make sure. They should have shipped out to us already and stuff usually only takes overnight from horizon because they are so close.

Last edited by Maxthepersonz; 10-11-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Jeff,

You are the club president and it is certainly your responsibility to take a personal look at one of these guys before anyone lays them on the carpet. You are more than capable of making that decision yourself - which is what the president can and should do - one way or the other.

I think you will find that the alu plate chassis is of little concern, no more so than any other chassis. Certainly the same safety rules apply in terms of making sure screws are in fact fully seated and chassis protector is applied.

I'm relatively certain that we are seeing a manufacturer trend in making use of an alu chassis to both lower the CG and offset lighter lipo batteries. Many new designs from the big players are starting to transfer lessons learned in 1/8 scale racing in terms of durability, as there are others basing 1/10 scale designs on aluminum platforms. Team Durango in addition to the Losi 22 to name just one. It doesn't mean we shouldn't be mindful of what is allowed on our carpet just because it's a successful product.

I've heard rumors of Kyosho and AE doing something similar. At some point, now or later, we'll have to get comfortable with this change one way or the other.

Anyhoo, looking forward to racing something this winter...

Touchdown Wisconsin!!
Old 10-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (98%+)

You mean you actually run this one? Aren't you the same Stan that bought a Mugen or something for the summer? Weird, I don't recall seeing you all summer!
Daryl
Old 10-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dayglo33
You mean you actually run this one? Aren't you the same Stan that bought a Mugen or something for the summer? Weird, I don't recall seeing you all summer!
Daryl
Hey Daryl...

I know, I deserve all I get. Never made it out, and I do feel bad about that. Worked way too much and rode my bike to keep my weight down.

When you get to be my age, the pounds go on and stay on easily. I'm most found of vanilla ice cream on warm apple pie.

Brand new Mugen just sitting here...don't even have the lid painted. Sad, very sad.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

I'll start the bidding at $5+ a homemade apple pie...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.