Why Not Hobby Shop Encourage Racing???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Not Hobby Shop Encourage Racing???

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 01:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Why Not Hobby Shop Encourage Racing???

I think the hobby shop should encourage the hobbyist (whether they are their customer or not) to attend race because:

1. Hobby shop owner are look upon by hobbyist (in RC) as a leader. If hobby shop owner do not lead hobbyist (especially their customers) to races, I do not think their customers will attend races.

2. Hobby shops should play the main role to make this hobby (at least in Malaysia) become a more respectable hobby or if possible a popular sport. (not only as a hobby)

3. By encouraging more people to attend races, race organisers stand to make a decent profit to at least feel that their money being put into making a track is worth the while. In other words, tracks will be maintained properly by the owners and we hobbyist will stand to benefit from this (able to enjoy driving in the track) for eg. golfers like to play at a well maintained golf courses.

4. If track owners are able to make a decent profit from making or opening tracks, I'm sure we can see more new tracks in Malaysia especially in the Klang Valley, rather than only a handful at the moment, boring lah.......

5. Hobby shops also stand to benefit from encouraging their customers to attend races irrespective who is the organisers because if their customers attend races, their sales from fuel, tires, glow plugs, spares parts and etc. will rise. Put it this way, this hobby will not survive if all the hobby shops close down in Malaysia.

6. And finally, if race organisers cannot make profit from organising races, nobody will organise races and we hobbyist will feel very, very, very boring and when hobbyist feel boring, they will abandon this hobby and move to another hobby (then we can say goodbye to RC in Malaysia). Therefore, I always salute all the race organisers out there (irrespective of who they are), 3 cheers from me and keep up the good work.

This is only my opinion and I did not mean to step on anybody toes (if any, please accept my apologies).

Therefore for the love of the hobby, I urge all the hobby shops to work together (not fight, compete or boycott each other), everybody have their own customers, no need to fear customer pinching.

I look forward to other hobbyist comments and wise words to the hobby shops so that we can still enjoy this hobby in Malaysia for many, many, many more years to come and or next generation can also enjoy this hobby like we do.....
Old 04-25-2005, 01:48 AM
Tech Master

To be fair I think most hobby shops encourage racing as most if not all races are organised by them. I think the present problem is there are too few hobbyists and also the expensive start-up cost. I supposed this is a chicken and egg situation.

Sometimes, at TT there are strangers who walked up and asked how much it is required to start "playing", after they have found out the cost, they would shyly walked away . Maybe next time I will tell them some RTR kit price
Old 04-25-2005, 01:55 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Why Not Hobby Shop Encourage Racing???

dinosaur_99, those points you raised up are very valid and I agree with you.

The problem with the situation at the moment (I think) is some hobby shop owners do not want to "push" their clients to race because they are afraid of burning them out early ! So it's like the shp owners rather have them lukewarm for a long term basis by leaving them at weekend bashers status rather than have them hot hot hot for a short while and none at all after that.

I think the key word here is moderation because to most people's minds, entering a race is a must win thingy. If not, then they are obliged to buy better stuff to get to where you want to be in a race. And when they burn out or get fed up, the give up RC altogether.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:03 AM
Tech Elite

Old 04-25-2005, 10:17 AM
Tech Initiate

wat initial D says is right....
take me for example......
im only abt 2 months old in this hobby and i have the slowest car on the track......
if i were to jump into a race i would probably get really frustrated with my slow car......
upgrades ???....im only a student and i cant afford such competitive parts "yet"...
dun take me wrong i love to watch races...especially when theres really good drivers driving.......
i get lotsa encouragement just watching those veterans drive within inches of each other.....
as for me i think ill try to drive without accidents first b4 thinking of professional racing......i'd rather drive with fellow newbies who have abt the same speed as me which would make things more fun....
Old 04-25-2005, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yes....i would say do upgrades your stuff along with upgrading the hands/skills...this way u'll save more money to future upgrade than replacing broken parts...
Old 04-25-2005, 07:45 PM
JSA
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by hibiki
wat initial D says is right....
take me for example......
im only abt 2 months old in this hobby and i have the slowest car on the track......
if i were to jump into a race i would probably get really frustrated with my slow car......
upgrades ???....im only a student and i cant afford such competitive parts "yet"...
dun take me wrong i love to watch races...especially when theres really good drivers driving.......
i get lotsa encouragement just watching those veterans drive within inches of each other.....
as for me i think ill try to drive without accidents first b4 thinking of professional racing......i'd rather drive with fellow newbies who have abt the same speed as me which would make things more fun....
By going to races is a matter of how well you could drive in a highly compettitive racing wth your existing equipments, you need not to upgrades anything on your car.

Comparing with your fun driving with newbies, in a competition you might only can perform 70% of your common driving only
(you will feel nervous, exciting & jiggling....)

So, if you upgrades to a fastest speed you might end up performing only 40% cos its more difficult to drive a fastest car.

Going to races is not neccessary we must win something but to enjoy the excitement (to run the whole race without mistake and complete all the races, this should be your 1st challenge)

without competing in racing you would not get to improve further

Like IniatD saying is true, after upgrade and spending out their money, nothing changed of their acheivement so they will give up quickly. Thats what I always said do more practise, pratise will make things perfect not upgradings the equipments unless you are up to a certain level.

Fill you self into battle, before you can battle.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Old 04-25-2005, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Agreed with JSA and I would add on and don't waste your money on the hop-ups. Get a better car and engine with the $$$. Taking part in races is the way to improve, there are a lot of factors involved in a race. And taking part need not mean that you need to win the race, in actual fact mere mortals like us are there to make up the numbers
Old 04-25-2005, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by BundyMan
And taking part need not mean that you need to win the race, in actual fact mere mortals like us are there to make up the numbers
Old 04-25-2005, 08:49 PM
Tech Prophet

Agreed with JSA and I would add on and don't waste your money on the hop-ups. Get a better car and engine with the $$$.
You sure or not? Then you need to change car wor...

ccaaaabbuuutt !

Taking part in races is the way to improve, there are a lot of factors involved in a race. And taking part need not mean that you need to win the race, in actual fact mere mortals like us are there to make up the numbers
Old 04-25-2005, 08:51 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by JSA
Going to races is not neccessary we must win something but to enjoy the excitement (to run the whole race without mistake and complete all the races, this should be your 1st challenge)

without competing in racing you would not get to improve further
I think a lot of people who would want to race for the first few times need to be educated a little that entering a race is more of a learning and familiarising process. The way up is not always easy for many. Most would have a few years experience. Not all racers are born overnight.

Racers need to learn how to enjoy racing and feel the adrenalin rush of being on top of the driver's stand. TCSS and making friends in the pits is also an enjoyable part of the hobby.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by InitialD
You sure or not? Then you need to change car wor...

Saving money now for RRR-Evo
Old 04-25-2005, 09:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Cost of racing $$$

Anyone care to share your experience on the amount of ringgit spend to ready for one weekend racing? Tires, fuel, spares, etc..

I know some regular A-mains even B or C main guys spend a bomb in every competition!

Controlled racing...
1) like stock engine (no-mod),
2) stock pro-kit (no-optional/after market parts allow).
3) one make tires/shore for all cars (this way suspension set-up crucial).

Exciting??? just my 2 sen...
Old 04-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Tech Master

Entrance fee = Ranges from RM 60 to RM 80 on average
Tires = Depends on how extensive your "practise session" generally you spend minimum RM 200 for six boxes of tires (heats and final)
Fuel = RM 50 (including practise sessions)?
Travelling = Applicable if outstation, otherwise RM 10
SpareParts = ??
Other costs = Wear and tear on the car, engine, batteries and etc

I would say on average it will cost you at least RM 400-500 per race?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.