Community
Wiki Posts
Search

noobie question on Centax clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 12:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default noobie question on Centax clutch

1. What is so great about centax clutch other than the easy tuning thing?
2. What type of centax clutch do i need for trinity reflex nt kit? How much? Is it cheaper in Singapore?
3. What about two and three shoes clutch? Which one is better or performance is the same? cheaper?
Thank u all in advance.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

you know kimi use the search and you will find your answers. also check rccaraction.com and rcnitro.com for their online articles.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

there is only 1 type of centax clutch.A centax clutch.
it's different from the regular clutches bcos it's at the gears,not the clutch bell.
when u use it,u can adjust when u want both gears to engage,and some cars have rocket acceleration bcos of that.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:26 AM
Tech Addict

Default Re: noobie question on Centax clutch

Originally posted by kimi
1. What is so great about centax clutch other than the easy tuning thing?
2. What type of centax clutch do i need for trinity reflex nt kit? How much? Is it cheaper in Singapore?
3. What about two and three shoes clutch? Which one is better or performance is the same? cheaper?
Thank u all in advance.
Kimi, besides the "easy tuning thing", the centax offers an even & stronger bite for transferring power to the wheels. For the Reflex, you could get the V1RR 3pc version. As for the no. of clutch shoe, which is better, I personally don't feel any difference as I have tried both.

1 question here, didn't the trinity reflex come with the centax???
Old 06-24-2003, 08:04 PM
Tech Master

Hi Kimi,

There actually 2 types of centax/syncro clutches,
1) type that uses ball bearings to create the centrifugal force that pushes the clutch disc forward (Picco, Colt, &etc)

2) type that uses a 3 piece shoes to create the centrifugal force to push the clutch disc (serpent & etc)

All these uses the same principal, whereby centrifugal forces from the rotating mass pushes the clutch disc forward to engage with the bell.

i prefer the 2nd type coz it is much lighter and a easy revving engine.

A WORD OF CAUTION:-

If you are new to this hobby, or rather to gas car, my suggestion however is to stick to the 3 piece clutch shoes type which comes with your Reflex, as this prove to be more reliable and needs little maintenence.

A centax clutch is good in a way as described by doctorj but the down side is that it needs regular maintenence like ensuring the gap between the clutch disc and bell is around 1~1.5mm for optimum performance and also the thrust bearing had to be constantly lubricated.

If the above is not observed, then you will end up with many replacement clutch discs.

My advice for you (in good light, of course) is to stay with the 3-pce clutch first, try other tuning possibilities, like tires configurations, shock geometries, gear ratios and wing angles.
This might prove faster than just changing the clutch

Master the car in its basic kit form first then only go for the options. Only then you will know what you really want for your car.

QUOTE:

"THE MONEY IS ALWAYS IN YOUR POCKET, DON"T LET PEER PRESSURE OR THE SHOP OWNER TEMPT YOU"
Old 06-24-2003, 08:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Thanks guys for the info - really appreciate em

GUess i better stick with three clutch shoes first

i bought my kit 2nd hand, actually the guy who slf the car to me offered the centax clutch cheap at the time, but i was on a tight budget and regretfully did not get the centax clutch

I know the centax clutch cost around RM380, is it cheaper in Singapore?
Old 06-29-2003, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

hey guyz... there's an article abt centax clth on the latest rc extreme mag... sorry i haven't read it.... go get ur copy.....